#13548 by Howard Long
22 Jun 2006, 20:28
Having checked in online the day before, I parked up at LCY at 0805 for my 0840 flight. Two minutes later I'd dropped my check in bag at the check in and proceeded to the security line. With no-one in front, I avoided the airside Bewley's coffee queue (about a dozen deep) and headed straight to the bar where I was immediately served with a cup of joe to help me on my way.

There are no Exec club facilities at LCY, so you make do with the departure lounge which these days is heaving. Still, I found a seat and settled down with my coffee barely five minutes after parking my car. At 0825 the flight was called, but I waited five minutes for the next call because the small holding areas at the gates are rather small and you rarely get a seat there on busy flights.

Along came final call and two minutes later I was in the gate holding area. Five minutes late we boarded. Despite conducting an indepth self-consultation of the best seat to go for during online check in, my choice proved bad as I was in window seat 5A in the cramped 3-3 configuration with 5B and 5C taken - obviously things had changed since my online check-in! I checked with a passing FA and it seemed the flight had its full complement on pax so I moved back a row to my preferred aisle seat on these aircraft. The window seat on the BAe146 in the 3-3 config reminds you that you really are in a flying tube, with a more limited space due to the curvature of the fuselage.

We then had to wait for 25 mins for a slot. I was interested to discover the difference between the old BA CitiExpress service and the new BA Connect service on this route, and I am struggling to find any. You still get a cooked breakfast, although mushrooms are missing. No dramas on board, and we arrived twenty minutes late.

On the return trip, the England-Trinidad World Cup match was playing, so the EDI Terraces was unusually quiet in the areas without a view of the TV. Also unusually I was able to get hold of a decent load of sandwiches - normally they're all gone by the time I get there. Quaffed these sarnies with a couple of mini bags of twiglets and a few diet cokes.

The return flight was slightly late in boarding. However we pushed back and I spent the journey on the laptop doing some work that's already months late. As I'd stuffed myself with sandwiches I didn't need any replenishments in the air, but on offer was a chicken and rice dish and a full, gratis bar. Again, I cannot tell what the difference is in service here now it's branded BA Connect.

Landed pretty much on time, and we had the regular LCY joke of a bus to take you fifty yards down the tarmac. My bag took all of 30s to arrive on the carousel and I was driving off within five minutes of landing.

The car parking charges are sadly more expensive than they used to be, at £24 per day in the short stay.

No traffic on the roads due to the footie and I was home at South Ken forty minutes after touching down.

All in all, I will continue to support this service. Beats the heck out of struggling around LHR.

Cheers, Howard
#124032 by Richard28
23 Jun 2006, 00:59
Thanks for the TR Howard - I take it you are not a footie fan then!!?

You still get a cooked breakfast, although mushrooms are missing.

Sounds like a positive improvement to me (not being a fan of mushrooms!)

Have flown with FlyBe the once from LCY, and it is an exciting way to fly [y]
#124078 by jaguarpig
23 Jun 2006, 12:32
Sounds a good service.
Do you earn any TPs/miles on BACON flights?
#124276 by lots@lhr
24 Jun 2006, 17:00
As a resident of South Ken? or Chiswick? I'm interested that you choose to drive. Is it fractionally quicker than TFL's offerings (although paying to smell other people's sweat is pretty horrid)?
#134219 by Howard Long
20 Aug 2006, 19:42
Originally posted by jaguarpig
Sounds a good service.
Do you earn any TPs/miles on BACON flights?

Sorry for delay in reply - yes. 20 TP's each way plus the miles:

15-Jun-06 EDINBURGH - LONDON CITY (C/B)
BA8709 20 500
Tier Bonus 0 125
13-Jun-06 LONDON CITY - EDINBURGH (C/J)
BA8702 20 500
Tier Bonus 0 125

Cheers, Howard
#134220 by Howard Long
20 Aug 2006, 19:55
Originally posted by lots@lhr
As a resident of South Ken? or Chiswick? I'm interested that you choose to drive. Is it fractionally quicker than TFL's offerings (although paying to smell other people's sweat is pretty horrid)?

Sorry for the delay in replying! I live in South Ken, GF lives in Chiswick, so I'm in Chiswick quite a bit. We are aparently known as LATs - Living Alone Together. http://www.davidrowan.com/2005/02/times-singleton-britain.html

I've tried all modes of transport over the years. I very rarely use public transport these days unless it's more convenient. For example, I work for a customer in Cardiff and almost always I take the train, and walk to/from Paddington across Hyde Park. Apart from the idiots who choose to use their cell phones in the quiet carriage, it's quite a ralaxing journey.

Most likely you will find me on a push bike in South Ken.

But horrors - I am reluctantly changing my Merc V8 to a Toyota Prius after Ken Livingston has put to "consultation" the increase of congestion charge up to £25 for gas guzzlers.

Cheers, Howard
#134233 by JAT74L
20 Aug 2006, 20:31
Originally posted by Howard Long
But horrors - I am reluctantly changing my Merc V8 to a Toyota Prius after Ken Livingston has put to "consultation" the increase of congestion charge up to £25 for gas guzzlers.

Cheers, Howard

WHAT!!!

We need a photo of that Howard - it'll look almost as bizarre as the one of you in the hot tub!!!! [:w]

Is Black Cat in line for a Prius too?

Regards

John
#134288 by jaguarpig
21 Aug 2006, 10:49
I am reluctantly changing my Merc V8 to a Toyota Prius

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo[:0]:D
#134418 by VS045
21 Aug 2006, 21:06
Thanks for the TR:D

Comiserations on having to change cars[:#]

VS.