#14300 by MarkJ
05 Aug 2006, 18:18
I hadn’t intended to write a TR for these flights because a) I like to discuss VS and b) in truth most EU flights are the same - up and down cold sandwich in-between!

And I still don’t intend to write a full TR but there were a number of things I saw at LHR or on the aircraft or at BSL that I just found amusing or interesting - so thought I would share them here.

Term 4 is an easy to use terminal and the business parking is right opposite - at £30 for the weekend it was competitive with the Long Stay at £20 s- lobbed the wheels in there.

Could feel the dark side calling as I entered the terminal - its pretty well laid out with big long single queues and plenty of self service machines which you can use even if you have bags and then go to the bag drop.[y]

Used the machine - changed my seat to an exit row for a bit of extra leg room - was so excited to have a VS Amex that I used that in the machine forgetting that I had not paid for my ticket with said card [:I]- so at the end I was asked to go to the check in desk - damn and blast - now had to queue up. Luckily there was a customer services rep who saw me and called me over to his desk - printed my ticket and I went upstairs to departures.

As I went thru security - where there about 3 people in front of me (T3 take note!) I got chatting with some Australians who had been put in hotels for the night as their Quantas flight had been severely delayed coz of the Typhoon in the far east - Travel inns all round - nice!![n]

Loaded up with a Starbys Venti Capp and sauntered on down to Gate 15.

As I walked down an Indian lady got out of her seat and asked me something in her language whilst showing me her boarding card - I’m sure I didn’t have "MarkJ LHR Can I offer assistance" on my jacket - must just be my helpful look!!! Anyway - she kept pointing to the departure screen and to her boarding pass - which said Gate 11 and she was sat at gate 11!! So I gave her a "thumbs up " and told her it was OK - but still she kept talking.

At this point a man in with a security pass who looked like he worked at LHR walked past - "excuse me" I asked " but could you help this lady she seems to be confused" I got an excellent response - "not my job mate she’s BA and I’m KLM"!! What a complete spanker!!![V] V helpful eh? Anyway - eventually the lady sat down and later I saw the sign for Delhi come up on the gate details so I hope she was OK![:p]

As I’m sitting at the gate an elderly couple runs past - he is puffing like a steam train she is about 25 yards behind - "where’s gate 11C" he asks - the lady behind the desk at gate 15. "there is no gate 11c" she replies and asks to look at his Boarding card - it turns out that 11 c is his seat number - and that he needs gate 10 - problem is his flight closed at 725 and now its 750 - a quick call by the lady at the gate and its discovered that they have missed the flight and their bags are off loaded and on carousel 1!! The lady says that in T4 there are announcements made and that they would have been paged!! God start to their trip!!

Then another guy comes up to the lady who is sat at the desk at gate 15, under a big sign which says "15" and asks her - "is this gate 15" tsk!! what is wrong with people[:?][:?]

There is a great view of the runway here at gate 15 btw!

See a young lady crying here eyes out - didn’t want to say anything but I guess she was leaving her loved one behind!! Sad but kinda sweet too!![:I]

TR - get on - push back - take off to the west - hot panini, coffee, 4 crew, 25 pax - lots of leg room. Arrive Basel 15 mins early - park on stand and through customs as I had taken only carry on!

Had a wonderful time in Colmar with my old friend who is not too well - went to a restaurant for dinner called the Auberge de Schoenbourg - absolutely fantastic and one of my top 5 meals of all time!!! And only 300 Euros for 4!! Truly amazing food!!

Back to Basel for the return - full flight this time - used the self serve machines, flight was on time so no problems there.

Was one of the first on and got chatting with the FA - she said she really enjoyed the short haul life - got to see plenty of cities and had a good time on the nights off - her fave places were Rome and Barcelona.

One pax decided to sit in the wrong seat 9A instead of 19A - she laughed and said it happened all the time and we both agreed that maybe people should take a test before they leave the country on holiday as she beloved that most people going on a trip leave their brains at home!!

Cold sarnie and a weird raspberry dessert for we cattle.

Straight into LHR with no holds and then onto stand with an air bridge 15 mins ahead of schedule!!

Cant fault any part of the BA experience - and for £80 it was definitely vfm!![y][y][y]
#131080 by Mavrick
06 Aug 2006, 18:49
Cool mini TR, Mark thank you. [y] [y]
#131083 by Littlejohn
06 Aug 2006, 18:56
Originally posted by MarkJ

Then another guy comes up to the lady who is sat at the desk at gate 15, under a big sign which says "15" and asks her - "is this gate 15" tsk!! what is wrong with people[:?][:?]

And.... Was he in the right place or the wrong place? You just can't leave a story hanging like that[V]
#131112 by mcmbenjamin
06 Aug 2006, 21:06
Originally posted by MarkJ
Quantas flight had been severely delayed coz of the Typhoon in the far east - Travel inns all round - nice!![n]
Qantas.

Great TR. Fun to read. :)
#131115 by Neil
06 Aug 2006, 21:13
Thanks Mark - all TR's are interesting to read as every flight usually has something happen in some shape or form.

Neil
#131220 by jaguarpig
07 Aug 2006, 14:02
As I went thru security - where there about 3 people in front of me (T3 take note!)

Security can be a nightmare at T4 particularly with no access to fast track,the tight wads at BA do not give fast track to BA gold card holders unlike VS.
#131369 by ade99
08 Aug 2006, 01:15
Originally posted by jaguarpig
As I went thru security - where there about 3 people in front of me (T3 take note!)

Security can be a nightmare at T4 particularly with no access to fast track,the tight wads at BA do not give fast track to BA gold card holders unlike VS.

Do they give out fast track cards on the HEX like they do on the GEX? They are very convenient when we pop up to manchester or glasgow
Virgin Atlantic