#16350 by sunsational
19 Nov 2006, 00:31
BA2036/2037 LGW-MCO-LGW

We will never fly BA again. Booked in BA's WT+ as we could not get flights with Virgin on dates required. we have always flown Virgin PE and thought that at least we could get a comparison on service.

No dedicated check-in, totally ignored when boarding, no pre-flight drinks, horrible 2-4-2 seat formation, seats were the most uncomfortable we have ever had, and on the return flight, John's seat nearly fell to pieces. They were threadbare with holes worn in places. One drinks service after take off, but didn't even get offered a drink with dinner. Asked for drinks but they managed to take an hour and a half to arrive, despite asking three members of crew. Mainly CC crew as they passed by.

No Ice cream!! Coffee took an hour to arrive, and the crew had all but disappeared. No Baileys or Brandy served after meal.

All in all in was a horrible experience from start to finish,[V] which spoiled the trip as it was only the second time away without the children. It was a 20th Un-wedding Anniversary trip, (been together so long but never bothered getting married). At least our villa in Clermont was a welcoming sight.

Thank God I've booked Virgin PE for when we all go out in March.[^]

Kaz
#148219 by mitchja
19 Nov 2006, 00:37
Firstly happy Anniversary :)

Thanks, your TR does brings back memories here. Welcome to BA's WT+ Kaz!!!

The only difference I experienced was new seats as the A/C had only just gone into service when I flew in WT+ from HKG back in 2000. BA wanted very little money to upgrade from Y, what with WT+ been so new then. I didnt think much of it back then. The seats are no where near as good as VS PE seats.

Havn't done WT+ since I have to say and unlikey to again.

All I can suggest is write to BA about your experience, but don't expect much (if anything) back in return.

Regards
#148364 by jaguarpig
20 Nov 2006, 11:15
The only reason I have paid or ever would pay for WT+ is for the miles and TPs(discounted Y on BA earn zero TPs),we may be doing a quick days shopping in BOS early December, I don't need the TPs so it will be a cheapy Y down the back of the bus.
#148394 by McCoy
20 Nov 2006, 14:44
Crumbs... never flown in WT+, but would have expected more than that. Let's hope you were just very unlucky.
#148468 by sunsational
20 Nov 2006, 20:18
Unlucky would be one way, not both.

Kaz
#148471 by Neil
20 Nov 2006, 20:22
Oh dear - parents booked in WT+ for their first PE experience next Tuesday, hope things are better for them (but if not its their own fault for been tight and not paying the extra £60 each for VS! - I have told them). Seems your dislike for the 2-4-2 BA layout might be following you over to VS soon though[n]
#148477 by jaguarpig
20 Nov 2006, 21:14
Crumbs... never flown in WT+, but would have expected more than that. Let's hope you were just very unlucky

The only thing you get with WT+ is extra pitch a bit more width,75 TPs and a few more miles, everything else is the same as Y.If you have BA silver or gold a hope of an opup to J.
#148484 by MrsG
20 Nov 2006, 21:49
Sunsational, thanks for the TR:D

I hope your TR will persuade people to pick VS PE over WT+ whenever they can!

Since we moved to Bermuda this year, my husbands company insist that we fly WT+ when they are paying for the tickets. I have flown 5 times in WT+ this year and most noticeable were the uncomfortable seats and the disappearing crew that you also mentioned[:(!] Besides this this their FF program is nowhere near as good as VS[n]

Hope you had a nice holiday:D
#148527 by RobL
21 Nov 2006, 03:45
Sorry you had such bad experience both ways.

We flew WT+ to Syd in 2003 for the extra space as we were not stopping over in Asia. It would appear the service has gone down hill. The seat was adequate - only really wanted the extra space to stretch out to sleep and it was a steal at GBP150 leg.

We joined Exec Club just to claim the miles and therefore used OLCI as there was no separate check in.

No special treatment on board, except on one leg when they ran out of some wine the CC brought glasses from club for us, although I do remember the service to be as good as BAs old Y service IMO - friendly obliging cc.

But to be fair BA don't claim to offer the same level of service as PE.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the CC. The last of flight we took with BA LHR to BKK in 2004 in Y the service was adequate and that is being generous - only the basic service was offered. I got my meal 30 mins before other half even though we were sat next to each other! And no drinks with dinner despite numerous requests.
Apart from VS the only airlines I have flown with any consistency are Singapore and Malayasia and maybe that is a cultural thing.
#148529 by Scrooge
21 Nov 2006, 06:22
Having flown WT+ a few time's I was surprised to read your TR as I have found BA's standards to be pretty good.

For me the WT+ - PE choice has always come down to price, is it worth the extra $$$ to fly in PE just so I can get the dedicated check-in, well most times the price difference is so large that it isn't.
Virgin Atlantic