#16474 by papadoc
29 Nov 2006, 00:28
BA 295 LHR- ORD 23rd November 2006

My first flights with BA for a few years, booked during their sale a few months ago.

We got to Heathrow the night before and stayed at the Thistle. The hotel is nothing special, but there is a nice pub just down the road (The White Horse) that does a decent pint and bar meals.

The next morning we set off to T4 via the Hotel Hoppa buses and HEX from T1, and arrived at check-in just after 9am. The desks were fairly quiet, and as we had checked in online and printed our boarding passes the day before, we went to the bag drop desks and were seen to immediately and on our way in a couple of minutes.

We decided to go through security straight away, there was a huge line, but as we got a little closer I was selected for ‘extra screening’. This was a bonus as all I had to do was stand in front of a screen, do a few silly poses, and I was on my way. I had to wait another 10mins or so for my mates to get through the normal security line.

After breakfast and a quick look around the shops it was time to head for gate 22 to board. There did not seem to be any priority boarding for the premium passengers but things went smoothly enough and we took our seats in row 28A, B + C. This was my first time on a 777, and the Y cabin is fairly small, with only 120 or so seats, and the leg room did seem fairly generous. Shortly after 11:20 we were on our way.

Soon after take off we were served drinks, and then the lunch service began. As it was Thanksgiving in the US the choice was Turkey Thanksgiving dinner or Pasta. I chose the turkey which was fairly good, and it also came with a lovely slab of Pumpkin Pie with cream. We also had wine, a small bottle of water, cold salmon salad starter and a bar of chocolate. After this was cleared the crew made the first of many (at least 5) juice and water rounds.

The rest of the flight was fairly smooth, the entertainment system was OK, but not a patch on V:Port, and to be honest the movie selection was not really that great! About an hour before landing we were served tea, which was an all-day deli bag with a beef roll, piece of carrot cake and some water. Tea and coffee was served in paper cups.

Soon after this we landed on time at 14:00, and we were through immigration fairly quickly and on the way to our hotel. My first visit to Chicago, and I was looking forward to it.

Overall it was a very good flight, the crew were excellent, check-in was a breeze and the food was fairly good. The only slight downer was the in-flight entertainment.