#16853 by Decker
24 Dec 2006, 14:12
We'd decided to do Hong Kong for Christmas this year and naturally looked at VS but with 2 Club Worlds coming in at less than one Upper Class regretfully the decision to fly BA was a no brainer.

We turned up at the airport in plenty of time - Addison Lee arrived early and for once we were ready! People were in the tents outside Terminal 1 and instructions were being issued to only enter when "your raffle ticket number range is announced". We made our way to Zone R - this premium check in area with its own security is a godsend. Rapidly seen through by friendly chatty security personnel and off to the Terraces Lounge. It's no Clubhouse but then we're going to be in the air for 12 hours and on the ground for only 2 or 3. There was soup, pasta, snacks, cake, mince pies and a good range of drinks. Given the number of delayed European flights the place wasn't too claustrophobic. The screens soon showed "Make your way to Gate 50" but a PA made it clear that the flight had only just arrived so we should stay put until they told us otherwise.

About 20 minutes late we made our way to the gate and straight through properly signed and dedicated premium boarding. As we walked down the airbridge the announcement was made of commencement of general boarding.

We'd selected seats on the upper deck - as with VS BA users see this as the best place to be. Pure CW and two dedicated FAs. (One of whom greeted us in an inflatable Santa costume complete with faux beard and even more faux "manly" "Ho Ho Ho". When she changed later the faux became apparent). We settled in (usual ritual - but this time we'd brought our own PJs - CW not stretching to that!).

Shortly after take off there was a very quick drinks service and minutes later the woman in front of me managed to smash her wine glass all over the place - shards hitting my foot. She didn't notice so I pinged the FA who came with a dust pan and brush.

The menu was simple, we both had Loch Fyne smoked salmon to start and Christmas "Fare" to follow. In honesty this could have been a microwaved meal but the smoked salmon was ace! Within minutes the woman in front of me had spilt another glass of wine - as I noticed when my foot got wet. Again I called the FA who as an aside suggested a plastic glass. This was VERY unusual for BA - the crew reached almost VS levels of informality at times!

The CW seat lent itself to conversation so Mrs D and I chatted awhile - something we tend not to do in the VS suite. We both passed on desserts and eventually tried to sleep. I was awoken by the woman in front trying to climb over me - the big problem with CW seats. I moved my feet and thinking her way was clear she walked straight into the footstool and went A over T. As she sat in the aisle dazed and confused Mrs D suggested to the FA that moving the lady to an aisle seat might be an idea - as a couple were free. This she did.

It was too warm for Mrs D so I mentioned this to the FA who actually did something about it! Fifteen minutes later Mrs D and I swapped seats (the aisle seat benefitted more from the a/c) and I necked a melatonin and settled down for 4 or 5 hours of sleep. (The IFE wasn't AVOD - no "New Club World" either). I awoke three hours before landing and decided to turn over for an hour or so before being awoken again for breakfast. The fruit was good, the full English sounded better than it was. Way too much bacon!

With an hour to go we changed back into civvies and made the seats back to normal. This revealed more glass shards which I collected and delivered to the FA who quipped "Well at least she hasn't spilt her coffee.... yet". See what I mean about VS levels of informality?

We landed slightly early and bade our crew farewell. From hereon in becomes a Mandarin Oriental report so more on that in the hotels section later.

So in summary,

Lounge not as good as clubhouse but pleasant
Boarding better than VS
Layout of seats worse than UC
Food - slightly better than recent VS fare
Wine - slightly less choice than VS but nicer wines
IFE - worse than VS vPort
Crew - on a par with the better VS crew

This was our 3rd CW this year and we now choose between VS and BA more on price than on anything else as BA continue to deliver a consistent service.
#152229 by slinky09
24 Dec 2006, 14:29
Enjoy Hong Kong and I really look forward to the MO report to follow.

Good to hear more about CW, but I hate that terraces lounge in T1, it's more like a mini terminal in a terminal ... not like the relative peace and quiet of the CH.

As for the woman next to you, did you think about offering her a Melatonin as well?
#152248 by HighFlyer
24 Dec 2006, 18:52
Crikey, your fellow passenger sounded a little worse for wear :) Drunkard Ladies falling over themselves to get to you again Mr D? ;)

Hope you and Mrs D have a lovely time away in Honkers, and enjoy the MO!

Thanks,
Sarah
#152252 by vs_itsallgood
24 Dec 2006, 19:10
Originally posted by Decker
About 20 minutes late we made our way to the gate and straight through properly signed and dedicated premium boarding. As we walked down the airbridge the announcement was made of commencement of general boarding.

We'd selected seats on the upper deck - as with VS BA users see this as the best place to be.

This was our 3rd CW this year and we now choose between VS and BA more on price than on anything else as BA continue to deliver a consistent service.

Sigh. I wish VS would sort out their priority boarding problems. If BA can do it...

I also wish my knee would put up with stairs more often. [:(] It sounds like I'm missing a great time in the bubble.

My brother flies BA; we agree to disagree on which sibling flies with the better carrier - but your TR has made me realize why he is so reluctant to switch! Great TR, looking forward to your return TR.

Enjoy your holiday in Hong Kong!
#152263 by Scrooge
24 Dec 2006, 21:42
The best seats for a couple on BA in CW are 14 E and F, if you can get them when you do the OLCI grab them, you will be amazed at the difference, though of course you are sitting backwards so take off is different to say the least.

Originally posted by Decker
The fruit was good, the full English sounded better than it was. Way too much bacon!

No such thing as to much bacon, silly man [:p]

It will be interesting to see how the NNNNCW fairs against the UCS, while some of the BA crews may be a little more "stuffy" than your normal VS crew in the last few years I have noticed them relaxing a touch and actually appearing to have fun doing their job and the big thing, at least for me is that have been consistently good where as VS can be very good or very bad.
#152563 by Decker
30 Dec 2006, 12:31
Slinky
I see what you mean about the Terraces. As for the woman - we don't know if she was "tired and emotional" or just incredibly clumsy. Daren't offer pills to such types - never know how they're contraindicated ;).

MO report still to follow - think we can safely just echo Fozzyo ...o...m...g

Sarah
[:I]. So nice we NEARLY pulled a three card trick ;).

vs_itsallgood
We're HOPING to be able to stay Au with VS and Ag with BA - can't see me getting Au with BA unless some possible business down in PR kicks off.

Dave
Thanks for the advice as you can see we took it!
Virgin Atlantic