#154919 by MarkJ
15 Jan 2007, 19:49
Yeah - just heard this on the news too.

After all the hoo-ha over the past couple of years they must be stark raving mad - VS must be rubbing their hands with glee!!
#154924 by jerseyboy
15 Jan 2007, 19:58
Not to sure about that. I gather the strike is about pay and conditions of sick leave. So if they win their battle I am sure that V/A staff may want to review their already inferior pay deal.
#154927 by VS-EWR
15 Jan 2007, 20:02
Wow, BA is really not having too much luck. First the food handler strike, then the whole terrorist thing this past summer (that got my flight cancelled!), then cancelling 800 flights because of fog, and now this - all within a year or so. Of course this seems like it could be real trouble if they indeed do go on strike. BA won't be able to fly any of their planes without cabin crew to staff them.
#154948 by MarkJ
15 Jan 2007, 21:38
I can never understand how sane, level headed, educated people think that by going on strike they will "force" a company to do their bidding. History shows that the striking workers rarely win and in some cases ultimately lose their jobs.

I'm sure its the union leaders who are pushing the claims and doubtless there will be some reasoning behind their claims - but isnt talking so much better than fighting?

Its sheer madness with the current public perception of BA for the staff to go onstrike!!
#154957 by VS045
15 Jan 2007, 22:17
Definitely not a good time for BA!

I agree with Mark; I wouldn't say that a strike is the best way to solve problems. Firstly, it doesn't do much for employee-employer relations and secondly, it can do more harm than good if the company ends up going downhill (in)directly as a result of the strike and staff end up losing jobs etc., although this would be a very extreme example.

VS.
#154959 by Decker
15 Jan 2007, 22:42
When all a person has to bargain with is their labour a strike is the only effective tool at their disposal. Strikes (and a unified work force) have helped to create a more balanced work place and whilst I have no views on this particular strike (not knowing enough about it) I would defend the right of people to strike regardless of the inconvenience thereby caused.
#154972 by Jon B
15 Jan 2007, 23:17
Originally posted by Decker
When all a person has to bargain with is their labour a strike is the only effective tool at their disposal. Strikes (and a unified work force) have helped to create a more balanced work place and whilst I have no views on this particular strike (not knowing enough about it) I would defend the right of people to strike regardless of the inconvenience thereby caused.

Spot on comment [y]

Jon B
#154975 by p17blo
15 Jan 2007, 23:20
Originally posted by MarkJ
I can never understand how sane, level headed, educated people think that by going on strike they will "force" a company to do their bidding. History shows that the striking workers rarely win and in some cases ultimately lose their jobs.

I'm sure its the union leaders who are pushing the claims and doubtless there will be some reasoning behind their claims - but isnt talking so much better than fighting?

Its sheer madness with the current public perception of BA for the staff to go onstrike!!

Mark, sometimes I find you have a very blinkered or even rose tinted view of some things in the world - Not meant as a dig, just as observation (so please don't flame me):D:D

But I agree with you that ultimately striking over pay and conditions of SICK LEAVE is fruitless. It is very well documented and controlled through government legislation. More and more companies are cutting back to government stipulated minimums on more and more things.

That being said the right to strike is also controlled and as long as it is done with union guidance and in accordance to the rules it is supposed to be used as peaceful protest. And no I am not a member of any union and personally think that striking does not work (again I agree with you on that one Mark) but my point is that it is a right should not be taken away.

Strike days are unpaid so ultimately whoever is striking feel strong enough about a subject to loose 1 or more days pay then so be it.

As a last note, they had better not disrupte my upcoming flights or I may just swing my view in full favour or Mark's arguement:D:D

Paul
#155008 by catsilversword
16 Jan 2007, 07:00
Originally posted by jerseyboy
B-A staff have voted unanimously to go on strike.
Link Here

Remains my main apprehension for flying with BA. Have used them a couple of times in recent year,s to places VS doesn't service, and have had no problems with the flight. But doesn't there always seem to be some sort of strike threat hanging over them, for various reasons? If you have a holiday planned, the very last thing you need to is to have the stress of a delay or cancellation hanging over you for this sort of reason!
#155010 by Bazz
16 Jan 2007, 08:29
The Union negotiators have a mandate from their members, this will no doubt aid their position when it comes to agreeing a compromiseI it doesn't necessarily mean they will actually call a strike but it does let BA management know they are serious about pursuing their claims.
#155017 by manymiles
16 Jan 2007, 09:54
Any news on when the first strike will happen? I have some friend flying BA this weekend and they are getting rather nervous.
#155020 by Decker
16 Jan 2007, 10:04
There is no schedule for strikes and they might not even happen. As Bazz indicates the fact that the members are prepared to strike might force a management change of heart/counter offer.
#155071 by VS045
16 Jan 2007, 14:12
I don't think that the "right to strike" should be taken away, but I do feel that it doesn't always have a good outcome for those on strike.

VS.
#155079 by jaguarpig
16 Jan 2007, 14:31
On our last few BA flights I have talked to a number of CC about the upcoming ballot and it was no surprise to see the size of the majority.All very reasonable people who feel they have been backed into a very tight corner and with no alternative than to give their union this mandate.On a personal note I will be well hacked off as we have a couple of BA flights coming up.Just hope I can get a refund on a WT+ cheapy if it looks like getting disrupted.I hope that the ballot result has given wee willy winkie an indication of how unhappy his front line staff are,without them he hasn't got an airline.
#155087 by VS045
16 Jan 2007, 14:50
Did this issue start pre or post Walsh?

VS.
#155159 by jaguarpig
16 Jan 2007, 21:11
Did this issue start pre or post Walsh?

The pension problems were inherited the working practises is walsh
#155205 by catsilversword
17 Jan 2007, 06:53
Originally posted by manymiles
Any news on when the first strike will happen? I have some friend flying BA this weekend and they are getting rather nervous.

I understand (from the news) that, once a madate has happened, action has to take place within 28 days - also heard half term mentioned, but think that might actually fall outside of the 28 days....
#155206 by catsilversword
17 Jan 2007, 06:55
Originally posted by Bazz
The Union negotiators have a mandate from their members, this will no doubt aid their position when it comes to agreeing a compromiseI it doesn't necessarily mean they will actually call a strike but it does let BA management know they are serious about pursuing their claims.

Regardless of whether they strike or not, it's worrying if you have travel plans. In a little over a year, there's been threats and/or strikes from baggage handlers, catering and now cabin crew.... I'm not really arguing that they have no grievances, but ultimately, it's a pain for those they're supposedly serving - innit peeps?[:0]
#155512 by PVGSLF
18 Jan 2007, 07:26
Miners strike ---- Number of Coal mines now operating in the UK?[:?]

I avoid BA purely becuase almost all previous long haul flights I have taken with them have been affected by something or other.

I was "victim" to a strike on the Brussels public transport system a few years ago.
They all kept working but refused to collect the fares. 100% support from the public! Though I'm not sure cabin crew could do something similar that would keep the punters happy but cost the company.
#155515 by Decker
18 Jan 2007, 08:39
Interesting - I'm thinking in the UK that would be a gross disciplinary offence - a refusal to do the job you signed up to do. Striking is protected by law, altering your own job contract unilaterally isn't. IANAL and all that but I'd think that'd leave the employee open to sacking.
#155545 by pjh
18 Jan 2007, 11:23
Originally posted by PVGSLF
Miners strike ---- Number of Coal mines now operating in the UK?[:?]

36 as at September 2006. If you're implying it was cause and effect, I disagree. If you're implying it was pointless, I agree. There would still only be 36 today had the miners not gone on strike. It was a clash of politics not economics and the state was going to win.

Paul
#155623 by VS045
18 Jan 2007, 16:59
The ATC strike of '81 wasn't exactly the greatest success though...

VS.
#155947 by JoeyVS
19 Jan 2007, 18:53
Its a running joke amongst airlines that BA have an annual strike for somethin or other so this is no shock... VS will rake in the cash from all the cancelled long haul flights, and after such a bad year for them may take some big clients permenently. however us VS crew may not be far behind them when our pay review comes up next month.
Virgin Atlantic