#17419 by Howard Long
23 Jan 2007, 22:17
I booked a restricted fare online at ba.com about a week ago LHR-FRA-LHR for this weekend in Club at a total fare including tax of £279 (£216 + £63 tax). I thought that wasn't bad, certainly as good as it gets. Until I realised I needed to return earlier.

So, being a restricted ticket I knew I was going to have to buy a new one. I took a look online again, and to book a one way FRA-LHR Club back home I had to tell the website I was in Germany. Single fare £339.93 (£310.11 + £29.82 tax), ouch.

What about a _return_ fare FRA-LHR-FRA in Club? £178.87 (£115.47 + £63.40 tax).

So I booked that and get a round trip the next day to churn up some more tier points.

For 1500 tier points and Gold status, you need 19 return trips at 80 TP's for each return trip. If you have nothing else to do with your money or life, at £3,420 that has to be one of the cheaper ways to make Gold on BA.

Cheers, Howard
#156553 by tallprawn
23 Jan 2007, 22:55
Thanks for the info Howard...:D

Does anyone know what is the cheapest way to obtain BA Gold. Any form of Gold run available or something similar??

I won't be participating myself, just purely me being curious! :D
#156561 by Scrooge
23 Jan 2007, 23:09
The above would have to be pretty close to it.

JP has some interesting miles/tp runs on BA/AA..let me take a look back in the TR's and see what I can find.

Nope not found..Speedbird, JP, GJ or Blackcat would be the people in the know for this.
#156562 by RichardMannion
23 Jan 2007, 23:21
BAH-DOH is your key to cheap BA EC Au. Earns full TP, and F fares are cheap.

Thanks,
Richard
#156571 by Scrooge
24 Jan 2007, 00:31
Originally posted by RichardMannion
BAH-DOH is your key to cheap BA EC Au. Earns full TP, and F fares are cheap.

Thanks,
Richard

But then you have the cost of getting there.
#156827 by jaguarpig
25 Jan 2007, 11:03
BAH-DOH-BAH is appox £300 rtn in F for 360tps,I much prefer a BOS-LAX-HNL-LAX-BOS for approx £800 rtn in AA F for 720tps. More money but a lot more flying fun:Dplus a couple of days on the beach as a bonus;) oh and just enough time for a couple of dozen oysters and a lobster at Legal in BOS on the way home.There was also an AGP run booked on IB J that routed LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR this earned 160tps for approx £180 good fun day out, but haven't heard anything about it for a while so the fares are probably gone.
#156879 by Speedbird223
25 Jan 2007, 16:16
Originally posted by Scrooge
The above would have to be pretty close to it.

JP has some interesting miles/tp runs on BA/AA..let me take a look back in the TR's and see what I can find.

Nope not found..Speedbird, JP, GJ or Blackcat would be the people in the know for this.

If you are looking for the cheapest it would make a really rubbish holiday!

If someone is desparate for BA Gold you could do a trip to Hawaii via BOS on BA in WT+ and AA in F. If you get BOS-SFO-LAX-HNL-LAX-SFO-BOS on AA you can milk the trip for 990 tier points. The I guess you could do LHR-BAH-DOH-BAH-LHR in a BA WT+/F mix for 510pts and be Gold.
At rough guesstimates I'd say that lot would cost (for flights alone) 2200 GBP. Note that you'd need to be BA Silver first for this strategy to work.

IMO Unlike on VS, the jump from BA Blue to Silver is much better than from Silver to Gold, especially if you fly on cheap fares. Personally I at least get some benefit from the BA Gold status as more often than not I'm in J and not F. Can't say I'd go out of my way to retain it though.
Virgin Atlantic