#17619 by stuart101
01 Feb 2007, 15:48
Well i was finally off to Accra for the first time. I am part of a new business there and had managed to avoid going for the part 2 years but now was the time.....

T4 was very busy, lots of people trying to escape before the strike, i had already checked in on line but you are not able to print your boarding pass on this route so still had to go to the desk. The staff were very helpful and efficient wishing me a nice trip.

Security was a pain as ever but that is life. I have never used T4 before and was surprised how small the gate areas were. Called to gate 1A and then a trek to yet another holding area where we had to wait for the busses to take us out to the aircraft. Finally the busses arrived, staff checked that the aircraft was ready and we were off, only to get out to the aircraft and have to wait another 15 minutes before being allowed on. Given that this was at the time the last Accra flight before the strike it was only two thirds full. Sat comfortably in 27B (emergency exit row) and shortly got chatting to a very nice crew member. She had been called in off standby, she had been given 45 minutes to get from the hotel to the aircraft. She was not told where she was going and still at that point didn't know when she was coming back! SHe also told me that the big problem with this work is that she has to have a case packed and ready with clothing for any long haul destination. She commented that she hadn't brought many clothes for a hot country so would have to go shopping when she reached Accra.

Flight took off 25 minutes late, and turned due south for the duration of the flight. Two drinks rounds before lunch was served, the London pride Bitter went down very well. Food was what you expect from an economy flight, pasta and bolognaise sauce, Smoked salmon salad and Apple pie and custard. Wine offered with the meal and coffee after (which was tasteless).

about 2 hours from Accra afternoon tea was served, consisting of a Beef and horseradish roll & piece of carrot cake. Arrived in Accra a little late then the fun started.

If you ever travel to Ghana beware of the airport, you get off the plane get taken about 50 feet by bus, go into the terminal and head for immigration. The immigration officials have to be the slowest in the world, they just stare at the paperwork for ages, then finally unlock their desk drawer, get the stamp out, and finally stamp your passport. if you have made a mistake on your immigration card they make you stand there and re-write the whole thing, so everyone has to wait even longer. Baggage reclaim is amazing, there are 3 belts but there is just a huge pile of luggage all over the floor so you can't actually get to the luggage belt without climbing over everything on the floor. Finally get my case and headed towards customs. Managed to walk straight through customs, and into what i assumed was arrivals hall. Lots of people standing around looking for others, but this was just the VIP collection point, the general public are not allowed in the building. Finally saw my colleague waiting for me and we managed to escape to the car and make our way to our new office block on the other side of Accra.

Return trip on Sunday night, hopefully nice and quiet so i can get some sleep.

All in all a good flight but nothing special at all.

Stuart
#158355 by jaguarpig
02 Feb 2007, 11:48
Thanks for the report,my mate who worked for BA hated 45 minute standby always ended up somewhere horrid.
#158358 by DMetters-Bone
02 Feb 2007, 12:23
I suppose it could be worse, you could of gone to Lagos! [xx(]

Have a good trip,

Dominic