#164054 by jerseyboy
19 Mar 2007, 19:39
Originally posted by FlyCC
I'm sure BA had the same situation happen to them on a BOS flight a few months ago? The body was placed in First Class and another passenger complained.

There isn't much else the Cabin Crew could have done Ð placing the body in the toilets would have been an option but I'm sure they were thinking of the family travelling with the deceased and perhaps they deemed this disrespectful.

The CSD (BA FSM) and possibly the Captain would have the final say on where the body lay to rest on the flight; they must of thought it would have been better to prop her up as if she was sleeping.

The man thinking about his £3000 ticket is quite unbelievable I think. The deceased woman paid the ultimate price in the end, much more than any F Class ticket.

No amount of training can prepare crew properly for this.

You'd probably know better than myself, has VS had many deaths?

Well-said FlyCC, V/S do have in flight deaths just the same as any airline as I am sure you are well aware. I was on a V/S flight from Miami in 2004 when a passenger passed away the body was placed in U/C along with family. No complaints made to my knowledge and I certainly did not ask for miles or refund. It is also normally good sense to lie the body flat to secure it as it stops any injury to the body due to it being prone to moving with aircraft movements and turbulence whilst in flight in the seating position. Also Rigor mortis is a consideration.
#164057 by Scrooge
19 Mar 2007, 19:54
Originally posted by Decker
You'd think they'd carry body bags really. Not being an expert I have no clue when a dead body starts to void (http://coronerstories.wordpress.com/tag/defecation/) but the body bag would seem more hygienic.

Very good point.

Is there no way to get the body down into the hold?

As I said before BA and the crew were put in a bad position, however BA should just bite the bullet on this one, I can understand where the guy is coming from, no so much the body (though I do think laying the body down then covering with a blanket sleep style would be better) but to have a wailing relative (again I understand that) then to be told to "get over it", easy I would..but on another airline.
#164063 by jerseyboy
19 Mar 2007, 20:26
Originally posted by Decker
You'd think they'd carry body bags really. Not being an expert I have no clue when a dead body starts to void

Actually Decker I think this is a very valid point. Certainly something for the airlines to think about.

Voiding can occur on movement of a body as stated in your link.
#164154 by stuart101
20 Mar 2007, 11:10
As a Funeral Director i thought that i would put some professional input into this topic.

The first point is that Rigor Mortis is a bit of a over stated issue, yes, once someone has died the joints stiffen but all you have to do is move the joint and they are then free. the stories of people not being able to get the coffin lid on is total fiction, you do not need to 'break' any joints just move them.

The second point i would like to make is about the handling of someone who has died, if you were on an aircraft with your loved one and they had died during the flight i am sure that you would be very distressed. Taking the deceased, putting them in a plastic bag and then putting them in the toilet or in some sort of cupboard is just ridiculous. I see nothing wrong with moving the deceased to the quietest possible part of the aircraft so the family can stay with their loved one until landing is possible. Perhaps what the airline needs is some form of screening so that they can place the deceased person at the front of the aircraft behind a screen and give the deceased and the family some privacy.

I would of course feel for the other passengers who have suffered some inconvenience due to the death of a passenger on any flight but that is nothing compared to the loss of your nearest and dearest in such circumstances. I do think that the BA crew should have told everyone in 1st what was happening.

I am however surprised that the flight did not divert, i would have expected the flight to land as soon as possible, the deceased person taken off the flight and then the flight could continue to its destination.
#164160 by Decker
20 Mar 2007, 11:36
Wow you AND EGG? Any other FDs in the woodwork? I love this board!
#164347 by goanmad
20 Mar 2007, 23:08
Putting them in a VS UC toilet would mean they come out looking like a Banana!

Originally posted by The_Banking_Scot
Hi,
Apparently another death occured on a BA flight LHR-BOS in Dec 06.

The corpse was in this case also put in the first class seat.

Some posts report that the problem in putting the corpse in one of the toilets is that once rigor mortis has set in it can be very hard to get the pax out of the toilet.

Regards

TBS
#165057 by ade99
27 Mar 2007, 01:10
I think putting the body into a body-bag would be a bit disturbing for the family, pax and crew.

Simply putting them onto a bed is the best thing you can do. We often have deaths overnight at work and the bodies aren't moved until morning simply to be respectful to the deceased and the other people around them (and I have yet to find one that poses a health risk)
#165058 by Jon B
27 Mar 2007, 09:04
Originally posted by VS045
I do not think it was appropriate for the daughter to be allowed to cause so much disturbance in the cabin. I know she has just lost her mother, but there's a time and a place for everything

Ah yes the stiff upper lip routine, 'never mind dearie, mum's just died, bottle it up until a more appropriate moment'.

Not sure if you have ever lost a close relative, but sometimes grief can be overwhelming. So a few people in first were inconvenienced, tough......

BA should of course sort them out but the death of a parent is far more important than someone else's spoilt flight

Jon B
#165257 by VS045
28 Mar 2007, 22:26
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by VS045

I do not think it was appropriate for the daughter to be allowed to cause so much disturbance in the cabin. I know she has just lost her mother, but there's a time and a place for everything

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah yes the stiff upper lip routine, 'never mind dearie, mum's just died, bottle it up until a more appropriate moment'.

Not sure if you have ever lost a close relative, but sometimes grief can be overwhelming. So a few people in first were inconvenienced, tough......

BA should of course sort them out but the death of a parent is far more important than someone else's spoilt flight

Yes I have - but I don't think the level of disturbance was acceptable. Maybe you're right, I should change my priorities[:?]

VS.
#165771 by MrsG
02 Apr 2007, 21:05
Originally posted by jtlc2345
Originally posted by David
I thought I had read somewhere in the past, that they have used a toilet in the past to "store" a body if the plane was full - although undignified for the deceased, surely better for the rest of the cabin.

I am pretty sure this is in mentioned in Air Babylon alongwith the corpse cupboard on Singapore Airlines - apparently only on their extra long haul A340-500 flights.

Jonathan

I've only just read Air Babylon, it made my toes curl![:0] Especially the part when one corpse is stored in the crew galley!
#166572 by P-L-U
08 Apr 2007, 18:58
[^] [y] Air Babylon is one of the funniest books I've ever read. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't seen a copy to grab hold of one quick.

As for putting deceased passengers in crew rest areas, down in holds etc is impossible. On the 747 the crew rest is up a narrow twisting set of stairs (I can just about make it up there and I'm very much alive) and on the A340's crew rest is downstairs so all in all the only thing to do is find the quietest place in the cabin.
#166573 by Pete
08 Apr 2007, 19:12
Originally posted by P-L-U
so all in all the only thing to do is find the quietest place in the cabin.

Quiet until, of course, the grieving relative is put next to them.
#166583 by P-L-U
08 Apr 2007, 22:43
Yes, quite. All in all it's a horrible experience which thankfully doesn't happen too often.

Can we talk about something more cheery now? ;)
#166599 by taurus
09 Apr 2007, 09:41
Thought the 'Alex' cartoon in the Telegraph today might lighten the thread. Click on 'Alex' on this link

Mike
Virgin Atlantic