#18571 by Simon
30 Mar 2007, 20:30
I've got one of those amex reward vouchers and have found 2 available reward flights, but can't get the exec club to agree to let me use the voucher because it runs out 9 days before the outbound flight, which happens to be end October.

I acknowledge the rules etc but there must be a way around it. Anyone know how?

- do you think it's possible to do something like book an extra leg of the trip before the "real trip" but with that leg early enough and then take a monster stopover in heathrow. E.g. Manchester to Heathrow on 1 Oct, stopover in Heathrow until 31 Oct then fly the return I want to Hong Kong? (Not sure the voucher allows more than redemption against a normal 2-leg return trip.)

- i've heard that the voucher redepmtion validity is checked only at the time it's used, and then the seats are booked as just airmiles/reward seats (i.e. without reference back to the fact one of them originated as a voucher). So I was thinking maybe i could book any date which is avaialble before the expiry date and then just phone and amend the tickets to the real dates. I think they only recheck amendments if you want to completely cancel rather than just amend (and of course there might be a small charge). Any ideas whether that might work.

- i've tried calling the exec club and asking them to be sensible. (i'm a gold card holder who hits the renewal target within 6 months each year but I'm obviously not giving it the big one around that with empty threats etc as that's likely to just hack them off). And they can see my account usage anyhow. they weren't at all helpful.

ideas anyone????
#165504 by jaguarpig
31 Mar 2007, 10:49
Have you tried calling the EC and asking for the 3 month extension,before you attempt the booking?

Failing that Think your only hope is try to book a domestic leg before the voucher runs out and go for the long stopover,the jury is out on this,but it's worth a try.

If you change the dates after booking to ones out of the vouchers validity it will be picked up as the voucher is always linked to the booking.

You could always use the 241 for a quick trip to BOS,PHL,IAD,ORD,NRT earlier in the year as these seem to have good avalibilty sometimes at very short notice.
#168783 by JAT74L
21 Apr 2007, 15:49
I'm expecting delivery of my prem plus BA Amex within the next few days. Any tips on how to best maximise it's potential jp?

Regards

John
#168816 by jaguarpig
21 Apr 2007, 20:40
Any tips on how to best maximise it's potential jp?

If you sign Mrs JP as one of your supplimentary card holders you will earn shed loads of miles:D
You will probably have to chase them for the sign-up bonus points,and the last one I got for my mum never did get the double points on the first 3 months spend.Other than that the points post spot-on,any spend on BA.com or onboard gets 3x instead of the usual 1.5x rate per £1.
I assume you hold another Amex card to get the fee down to £30(blue) or £0(plat or cent).This is the other issue I have had, they always charge the £120 fee,but a phone call gets it credited back.
Get the £10k spent for the 241 within 12 months no roll over allowed, and try to get somewhere booked up asap. You need to be booking 330 days out for SEA, BKK and SYD but we have picked up NRT, ORD, BOS, YYZ, JFK and SFO all at short notice.
Have fun and buy everything from Tesco:D
#168817 by JAT74L
21 Apr 2007, 20:47
Originally posted by jaguarpig
Have fun and buy everything from Tesco:D

Mrs JAT says I'm obsessed with Tesco - I gently remind her she won't be moaning about it in NCW!!
[8D]
Cheers

John
#168820 by jaguarpig
21 Apr 2007, 20:56
I gently remind her she won't be moaning about it in NCW

Go for first class[y], we love those Tesco 1000 extra points wine codes.
#168826 by JAT74L
21 Apr 2007, 21:37
Funny enough. . . I am sampling some of their 1000 point plonk this very minute. (While she's at work!!!)

Regards

John
Virgin Atlantic