#815660 by londonguy
03 Jul 2012, 14:43
Hello there, bit of a BA newbie.

I'm traveling on BA to SFO from LHR soon (first time to SFO by BA!), and I was wondering if anyone knew the cost for an upgrade from Prem Com (flexi) to Business and/or First?

Also, am I right in saying OneWorld (EDIT: just found out its Avios) is the BA FF program? Can I just sign up right away and purchase the amount of miles required (of course, yearly limit permitting if OW have such one)?

#815731 by MrT
03 Jul 2012, 22:30
You can use miles to upgrade from premium economy to Club (business) provided there are reward seats available, and that would be 12500Avios+taxes per sector I believe. You can't do a miles upgrade from Premium to First, only one jump in cabin is allowed.
#815732 by tontybear
03 Jul 2012, 22:41
HAve a look on the flyer talk BA forum. Your questions come up on a reguar basis there.

ISTBC but I think (like with FC) that you need to do some earning activity before you can buy avios miles
#815739 by londonguy
03 Jul 2012, 23:10
thanks for the reply folks, I've already purchased some miles and it seemed to go through fine. Should have enough for one leg at least (fingers crossed for availability).

Thanks,
#815754 by at240
04 Jul 2012, 08:44
tontybear wrote:ISTBC but I think (like with FC) that you need to do some earning activity before you can buy avios miles

Actually, you can open an account and then buy avios -- or at least, you certainly could last year.
#815936 by londonguy
05 Jul 2012, 21:47
The worst thing with BA is that if you book via a travel agent, you can't upgrade your ticket with either cash or miles.

Thats pretty poor if you ask me!
#815987 by clarkeysntfc
06 Jul 2012, 13:00
londonguy wrote:Nope, its one of the reasons why I like flying Virgin.

Along with the facts that it doesn't cost you either £60 or £80 to reserve a CW seat, even if you've paid cash for it. Also that you can get cheese and pudding, rather than either/or. Oh and the Clubhouse, the immediate aisle access from all UC seats etc etc!
#815993 by at240
06 Jul 2012, 14:09

Interesting, I didn't realise this was the case!

BTW, BA is supposedly lifting that restriction later this year -- as reported on FT. :)
#816009 by londonguy
06 Jul 2012, 21:27
clarkeysntfc wrote:

Along with the facts that it doesn't cost you either £60 or £80 to reserve a CW seat, even if you've paid cash for it. Also that you can get cheese and pudding, rather than either/or. Oh and the Clubhouse, the immediate aisle access from all UC seats etc etc!

Easy tiger! I wasn't getting in the BA vs. Virgin debate! Unfortunately, Virgin don't fly everywhere so sometimes one needs to fly BA! I'm just gutted that you can't upgrade travel agent tickets :(.

EDIT: Oh and if you have a flexi ticket with BA you don't need to pay to move your seat!
#816463 by jaguarpig
11 Jul 2012, 15:07
at240 wrote:
BTW, BA is supposedly lifting that restriction later this year -- as reported on FT. :)

They have been supposed to be doing this for at least the last 4 years, personally hope it never happens, redemptions will be dire with all those cheap corporate fares being upgraded.
#816560 by at240
12 Jul 2012, 09:47
jaguarpig wrote:They have been supposed to be doing this for at least the last 4 years, personally hope it never happens, redemptions will be dire with all those cheap corporate fares being upgraded.

Agree!
#816732 by londonguy
14 Jul 2012, 12:29
That's good news! (for me anyway..)

Just got back from two club world flights, a mixed bag really, may do a review soon.

One thing I will say, I much preferred the seats than in UC, like the fact that I didn't need to turn my seat over to make a bed, I have trouble sleeping so flat on UC but I can get my reclining pos. just right in CW!
Virgin Atlantic