#830276 by Concorde RIP
14 Nov 2012, 13:54
Hi oh wise folks,

I've now been "awarded" a companion flight voucher on my BA Amex.

I realise this last 24 months and therefore gives me the opportunity to earn another and therefore take two "companions" with me.

If I understand correctly, I can use this only when booking a reward flight for myself - is this avios only, or does cash and avios count?

Can anyone provide further tips/tricks to using this voucher?

Out of interest, where do I see the voucher - is it held by Amex as I don't see it in the executive club account.
#830308 by locutus
14 Nov 2012, 18:41
It's Avios bookings only, and there's an Avios redemption sale on right now, if your voucher appears.

It may take a day or two to appear on your BAEC account. You will see it when you log in, underneath the welcome:

If you have two vouchers, you take 3 others with you. If not, you just use one voucher. You must be one of the people flying.
#830328 by spiceke
14 Nov 2012, 22:47
According to the guru's on Flyer-talk I am sure I have read that to increase your chances of getting the flights that you want, you book the 2 outbound with Avios and then book the return when they become available. Then cancel one set on the phone and get them to activate the 2:4:1 - or something like that ?|

The other way is to book a lower class of travel and then cancel and rebook in the class you want when they become available.

Seems BA have a much better cancellation policy than VS when it comes to Reward Tickets. If I recall, it is £15 or £25 pp and no loss of miles.

I have just taken a First flight return to DXB using a 2:4:1. No way could I have ever had 2 First Class tickets without it.
Was on 'old' First and was subsequently underwhelmed, but still better than flying Economy !!!!!
#830358 by Concorde RIP
15 Nov 2012, 11:11
Thanks both - much appreciated.

Locutus - you say "If you have 2 vouchers, you take 3 with you" - was this a typo, or did you mean 3 in total of which I must be one? I'm assuming if a have two vouchers, this simply means I can take 2 people with me...

Yep, saw the 25% off avios flights offer and it's good timing!
#830378 by jaguarpig
15 Nov 2012, 16:49
Concorde RIP wrote:Thanks both - much appreciated.

Locutus - you say "If you have 2 vouchers, you take 3 with you" - was this a typo, or did you mean 3 in total of which I must be one? I'm assuming if a have two vouchers, this simply means I can take 2 people with me...

You can't use 2 vouchers on one booking, its buy one flight with Avios get another for free + Tax.

With the second voucher you could make a booking for 2 more people.You don't need the voucher holder to be travelling on the booking you can use it on any Avios booking if there are 2 rewards seats available.
I have used 3 Amex 241 vouchers a year for the last 4-5 years you just have to be flexible where and when you go.If you see acceptable flights grab them.
#830379 by locutus
15 Nov 2012, 17:07
jaguarpig wrote:

You can't use 2 vouchers on one booking, its buy one flight with Avios get another for free + Tax.

With the second voucher you could make a booking for 2 more people.You don't need the voucher holder to be travelling on the booking you can use it on any Avios booking if there are 2 rewards seats available.
I have used 3 Amex 241 vouchers a year for the last 4-5 years you just have to be flexible where and when you go.If you see acceptable flights grab them.

Sorry, but I'm disagreeing with you. With the BAPP card, if you earn 2 vouchers, you can then redeem both at the same time, so the primary card holder and 3 other people travel.

If you want yourself and two others to go, then you use one voucher, and pay 3 x tax and 2 x Avios.

So it's:
Voucher 1 = Cardholder + Companion = 1 x Avios + 2 x Tax.
3rd pax = 1 x Avios + Tax.

or
Voucher 1 and 2 = Cardholder + 3 x Companion = 2 x Avios + 4 x Tax.

The card holder must always be travelling.
#830380 by locutus
15 Nov 2012, 17:43
If it helps, the T&Cs: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/am ... blic/en_gb

If the Member has two valid Companion Vouchers on their account they have the option to redeem both of them together for one flight booking allowing the Member to travel with 3 companions and pay the Avios flight price for only 2 people travelling on the booking.

The main British Airways American Express account holder must travel on any Companion Voucher booking.

A maximum of two Companion Vouchers can be redeemed at any one time.
#830382 by Concorde RIP
15 Nov 2012, 18:24
Got it - most helpful, thank you.

I rather like these things!

More to the point, it's great to see (now I've looked!) the voucher shown on my home page, plus links to Ts&Cs plus links to actually book the reward flights - very well thought out with IT that works!

Right, off to book flights (rubs hands together...)
#830434 by jaguarpig
16 Nov 2012, 14:09
locutus wrote:
jaguarpig wrote:

Sorry, but I'm disagreeing with you. With the BAPP card, if you earn 2 vouchers, you can then redeem both at the same time, so the primary card holder and 3 other people travel.

If you want yourself and two others to go, then you use one voucher, and pay 3 x tax and 2 x Avios.

So it's:
Voucher 1 = Cardholder + Companion = 1 x Avios + 2 x Tax.
3rd pax = 1 x Avios + Tax.

or
Voucher 1 and 2 = Cardholder + 3 x Companion = 2 x Avios + 4 x Tax.

The card holder must always be travelling.

That's basically what I said, the second voucher is used for 2 different people apart from I didn't know you could put all 4 on the same PNR.The 3rd pax is just a straight Avios redemption again didn't know it could be combined into 1 PNR, have always booked separately but as its been in F its not mattered as all the benefits are there.
The T&Cs say the voucher/Card holder must be travelling and also the payment must be from the voucher earning Amex card but in reality you can make the booking for anyone and any Amex will be accepted for the payment.
Virgin Atlantic