#831761 by vsharan1
03 Dec 2012, 14:24
BA256 DEL LHR 03 DEC 2012 WTP seat 14K

I would have written about the outbound leg but my mind is blank B) v( :| , so hopefully this will suffice…

All that glitters is not gold… at least that is what a fellow v-flyer said when I expressed my dissatisfaction with VS service as of recent. So, I decided I'd have a look at the dark side :| . By the time I actually took the outbound leg of the BA trip, I had already made 3 returns with VS to BGI, JFK and LAX - all with the same sort of experience… if the CC were on top form then everything was brill but if they were not in the mood then at least there was the IFE (if it worked).

So with this particular flight, it was a 772, with 2-4-2 seating in WTP. There are no shiny purple seats, nor any welcome drinks. There is a huge bottle of water (which suits me better!) and a quite comfortable seat with perhaps the same proportions as the VS PE seat, but with an added leg support in tandem with a separate foot rest. Admittedly it doesn't look as exciting at first glance, but it won me over pretty quickly...

The IFE is great - touch screen, very fast and responsive, and there was a good selection of movies. IFE from Gate to Landing though is quite a nice treat :) The new version of the My Journey map is pretty cool.

Food was amazing! Some of the best PE food I've tasted (thanks to Heston no doubt) - a club main with the economy usuals but served with steel cutlery and cloth napkins etc.

The only niggle I had on this flight was the amount of screaming babies directly behind the WTP cabin, but that is to be expected at this time of year and so the noise cancelling headsets given by BA were welcomed and they did their job well.

About the crew: They were efficient, responded to queries and requests well and went out of their way for me as a part of my VJML (Veggie Jain meal) was absent, but was found in the front galley as supposed to the usual main galley. They would not beat a VS crew on top form, but BA have shown consistency time and again, and that is appreciated by me. It is a shame they don't have a dedicated CC member on the 772, but they did not disappoint anyway.

The timing of the flight is a teensy bit odd after all the 11am/1pm VS301s… 7am flight meant a heavy brekkie/meal, mid flight snack and pre-landing hot snack thing - proportions were generous enough, but the taste was wow!

All in all, I don't regret going BA for this trip… I shall see on balance how the clubs balance out but with VS aiming to start flying to EDI soonish, hopefully I will try to keep both FF clubs in silver at least.

nb… if you fly BA to DEL in WTP i'd suggest using the 744 (which is what I did on the outbound just to sample it). The WTP cabin is nestled between First and Club, and so it has an extra special feeling to it - turning left at the door, access to the Club kitchen y) and a feeling of masses of space - plus its own dedicated CC member. I'll be sticking to that in future, despite the unusual hours.
#831830 by Concorde RIP
04 Dec 2012, 10:56
Inbteresting read - and is independent verification of my own opinions/experiences with BA over the last 2 years.

I've noticed an upping of the game across the board (having flown in all cabins apart from F (crying). The WTP offering, though, seems to be the one improving most (possibly because it started so far behind the VS service).
#831913 by vsharan1
05 Dec 2012, 20:06
Concorde RIP wrote: The WTP offering, though, seems to be the one improving most (possibly because it started so far behind the VS service).

Agreed - this experience is based on a comparably ancient 772; I have been hearing rave reviews about the new 773's WTP and other classes, but the 773's aren't on any routes I fly so I'll probably have to wait for the 787. (By the way, flew the Air India 787 and the thing is divine!). Having said that the 744 has the upgraded First and being just behind it on the way out in WTP left me with a jealousy I have never felt before! :0 It looks brill! The WTP and F cabins are separated by curtains and a little rope barrier (just to make sure...!) I am scheming at the moment to try and save as many avios as possible so that when Qatar join OneWorld, I'll redeem on them and have a peek, because BA Club World seems lacklustre compared to VS UC but I'll have to try BA club world just to make sure :) Its a shame Emirates aren't VS or BA friendly :(