#832034 by joeyc
07 Dec 2012, 14:39
Why, oh why is there a BA add flashing along the bottom of a forum site primarily dedicated to Virgin Atlantic??

Is tonty's treason and herecy catching :?

Bring in the inquisition!!!
#832037 by Neil
07 Dec 2012, 15:30
northernhenry wrote:And why not... all useful revenue to Pete for the site and keeps VS on their toes..

y)
#832047 by Sealink
07 Dec 2012, 16:11
Some ads services are using your cookies and they display the site as a reminder of the site you visited.

So, why have you been on to BA? ;-)
#832050 by joeyc
07 Dec 2012, 16:18
Ha ha ha sealink... impossible v( v( . On a work comp at the moment and they dump the cookies and clear the caches every time a browser window is shut.. Although I will check the firewall logs in a moment to see if any of my heretical coworkers have been looking into BA.

I have nothing to hide from the inquisitors.

Looks as if some do though :?
#832052 by preiffer
07 Dec 2012, 16:24
Look at it a different way, where better for BA to advertise special offers and the elements of their service that might entice passengers loyal to another brand away than...

...on a website that draws that group towards it?! ;) :w
#832053 by tontybear
07 Dec 2012, 18:20
joeyc wrote:Why, oh why is there a BA add flashing along the bottom of a forum site primarily dedicated to Virgin Atlantic??

Is tonty's treason and herecy catching :?

Bring in the inquisition!!!

I am not the only heretic !

Her Ladyship HoneyLamb recently flew on BA on two seperate trips!

In fact I will say in MY mitigation that it was her recent TRs that inspired me to try BA ! :P :P
#832054 by honey lamb
07 Dec 2012, 18:44
tontybear wrote:I am not the only heretic !

In fact I will say in MY mitigation that it was her recent TRs that inspired me to try BA ! :P :P

What! My TRs on BA inspired you to try it? I don't remember being effusive in my praise and I will remind you that one particular one made me :$
#832055 by tontybear
07 Dec 2012, 19:01
honey lamb wrote:
tontybear wrote:I am not the only heretic !

What! My TRs on BA inspired you to try it? I don't remember being effusive in my praise and I will remind you that one particular one made me :$

I never said it was good mitigation ! Now where is that 'clutching at straws' icon ??
#832059 by DocRo
07 Dec 2012, 20:18
preiffer wrote:Look at it a different way, where better for BA to advertise special offers and the elements of their service that might entice passengers loyal to another brand away than...

...on a website that draws that group towards it?! ;) :w

Precisely
Maybe BA should be courting us with fantastical offers
#832063 by at240
07 Dec 2012, 22:29
preiffer wrote:Look at it a different way, where better for BA to advertise special offers and the elements of their service that might entice passengers loyal to another brand away than...

Quite -- go to T5B at LHR and as you emerge from the underground train you go past a wonderful long banner ad for VS UC. :D
#832068 by honey lamb
08 Dec 2012, 00:32
at240 wrote:

Quite -- go to T5B at LHR and as you emerge from the underground train you go past a wonderful long banner ad for VS UC. :D

I remember doing a double take on that and giggling!!
#832069 by joeyc
08 Dec 2012, 00:49
Huh, AdBlock for safari appears to eliminate this problem :P

Oh dear HL... oh dear ii) Wish I could be having as much fun, however unfortunately work calls in the morning n( n( n( n(

Have a good weekend all 8D
#832072 by ratechaser
08 Dec 2012, 06:38
Hmm, well you might as well add me to the list of heretics, as I fly BA far more than any other airline right now. Admittedly only for short domestic hops, but maybe that's how the rot starts to set in...

As for the ads I get, it's mostly for exotic holidays. How well they know me...
#832079 by tontybear
08 Dec 2012, 12:02
A solution to avoiding the ads might be to bookmark the forum page and avoid the front page entirely.?

That's what I do and I don't see any ads at all.

(Not sure what that does for Pete's income stream though)
#832095 by preiffer
09 Dec 2012, 05:12
Sometimes, there's a lot of value to VS travellers in seeing a BA Ad:

A BA sale today means don't buy a VS ticket until tomorrow...

...when VS will copy. :p

Let's be honest here - BA do actually run VS' promotional campaign throughout the year anyway.
#832116 by joeyc
09 Dec 2012, 21:36
tontybear wrote:A solution to avoiding the ads might be to bookmark the forum page and avoid the front page entirely.?

The adds are unfortunately not just on the home page... take a look at the bottom of the forum pages..... ii) Are you using an AdBlocker by any chance? :w

Appears there are a lot of heretics here..... time to light some fires me thinks ):

ken54 wrote:how about if you want to fly someplace VA don't my next airline choice would be BA

Fair point Ken, it is not like the majority of us would favour the standing room only RyanAir over BA now.. is it :P
#832117 by tontybear
09 Dec 2012, 21:40
joeyc wrote:
tontybear wrote:A solution to avoiding the ads might be to bookmark the forum page and avoid the front page entirely.?

The adds are unfortunately not just on the home page... take a look at the bottom of the forum pages..... ii) Are you using an AdBlocker by any chance? :w

Appears there are a lot of heretics here..... time to light some fires me thinks ):

Not an ad-blocker but I rarely go right down to the bottom of the page !
Virgin Atlantic