#835859 by vsharan1
25 Jan 2013, 00:01
I had a few options to get to RSW (Fort Myers) in Florida, but even with the sales, it worked out cheaper to go with the dark side.... :|

EDI - LHR was the 7:10am BA 1435 shuttle, operated on a 767 domestic config. It was filled to the rafters, but, fitted with the new style BA economy seats, it was surprisingly comfortable, aided with the 2-3-2 seating arrangements. I had seat 27K which was an emergency exit seat, and the legroom was brill :) They even served a hot brekkie which was welcomed, hearty and tasty (after getting used to their midday ''snacks'' which are basically a minuscule packet of crisps/trail mix/biscuits)! 1hr total flying time, and we were on stand 5 mins early. It is making me wonder what VS service will be like on this route... I'm eagerly awaiting it y)

LHR - DFW on BA 0193 was to depart at 10:40am. Nice smooth transfer from T5A to T5 B from which it was to depart. I was in WTP and on the B744, this cabin is between first and business (so you turn left at the door) - it is so peaceful and quiet not being backed by Economy. You are also one of the first people to disembark at the other end. In terms of service - after an early departure we were served drinks and snacks from the bar, followed about an hour or so later by a hot lunch (my VJML was rice, kidney beans, spinach and sweetcorn; roll, butter, rice pudding, and a green bean salad) - very tasty. There were two drink runs after that, but there were a few cheeky chappies who helped themselves to the offerings in the Club Kitchen - I had a wonder over, but I was full from lunch, which was quite generous proportion-wise. After a little nap (it was a 10hr flight) in the comfortable WTP seat (11K - the first row of WTP just behind the cordoned-off First cabin), they served a snack consisting of a substantial sandwich, a sweet, some crisps and drinks service. We arrived here in DFW a full 40 mins before schedule.

DFW - a big airport, but transfers are quite simple. BA arrives in Term D. The next flight (DFW-RSW) is operated by AA out of Term A. So...off the plane, straight down to passport control, where we waited about 20mins (I'm suffering from Global Entry jealousy - they were through in 2 mins!). After the usual 'protocol', bags collected (my two bags were already doing their laps of the belt), then customs cleared. A right turn took me to the 'Recheck' area, and the bags were taken away by AA. Then up the escalators and across the concourse to the Skylink trains, which are clean and efficient - a 3 min transfer to Term A, which at the moment looks like a building site - a sign says ''Pardon our dust as we tidy things up for your future use'' :o) But....Free Wifi by ATT is a boon :D

Verdict on BA? Surprisingly good, both domestic and international! Even with a tatty old B744, the cabin was clean, service was good, food was great and although it lacks the fizz of VS, it is reliable, decent service. The BA WTP amenity kit has the same contents as VS PE, though it is packaged much more simply.

So, I'm now sat at gate A16 awaiting flight AA2096 which will be operated by a B738 and will finally disgorge me at RSW 9:35pm tonight. 25deg C at Fort Myers... after one freezing week in Edinburgh, I'm well looking forward to it :| y)
#835881 by David
25 Jan 2013, 11:42
Well its chucking with snow down here in the Borders, so enjoy the sunshine where you are.

Always nice to here about TR's starting from my fav airport EDI. Its amazing how many options you have when you start looking at connections and aren't too bothered about overall travelling times.

The weather will give me an excuse to have another look at different routings for our (hopeful) trip at the start of next month, this afternoon.

The BA option is always great as the shuttle is nearly always £0 in the overall cost of the flights, so will be interesting to see how VS prices it when they start flying.

Enjoy your trip.

thanks

David
#836128 by Petmadness
27 Jan 2013, 23:17
Great TR, thanks for posting y) y) As Flabound says, it seems a long way round but all the transfers went smoothly and flights were good. Interesting positioning on WTP tho :?
#836250 by vsharan1
29 Jan 2013, 01:59
@ David - thanks very much, EDI has seen my mug for about a decade, and its still standing ;) Temperatures out here in Fort Myers are about 30degC at the mo, and after a day on the Siesta Keys, all I can say is that de-stressing here is fun :D It is mainly because of the shuttle pricing that BA has been winning my budget, but I am waiting with baited breath for the VS approach.

@flabound - There was UA via EWR or even AC via LHR/YYZ, but they don't have a PE cabin... and I can't manage economy on those distances. Funnily enough flight times are roughly the same on this route. I was considering MCO or MIA with VS and driving over, but timing was odd, and I'm staying out in the sticks 4hrs drive away from there. Even BA's Tampa route would have been closer (1.5hrs drive from here), but its prices had jumped by the time I had finalised details.

@ Petmadness - thanks :D Smooth transfers were key to this... if the weather in the US was forecasted to be iffy, I'd have never dreamt of taking this routing, but it worked well in this season. WTP... I know what you mean - but having had more negative experiences on VS PE than good in the past 12 flights, BA's consistency even in mediocrity is a winner. Food is tasty, seat is decent. There is no VS pizazz, and I do miss that...so we'll see what the future holds. I haven't given up on VS though, they are still getting good business from me ;)

P.S. Having actually travelled the AA2096, I can say that it is no better than an easyjet flight. At 2.5hrs, only a soft drink is offered, everything else has Harrods pricing even though it is Poundland quality. It was not as annoying as the three texan lasses sat directly behind me - rowdy, loud and vulgar, who were hitting on an FA, and he was enjoying it, standing at their seats and chatting for over 20mins with them! He needs to be reminded of professionalism! Aside from that, pilots were regularly relaying relevant info, and the rest of the CC were professional. RSW is a great airport for the evening flights - bags waiting as soon as I was out of the plane; but I have heard horror stories about the security queues on departure.... we shall see.
#836484 by flabound
31 Jan 2013, 01:26
i have never seen bad q's at RSW...in fact I met the nicest TSA agent there. i usually drop anyone flying out of there off about 45 mons before their flight and they make it easily. we are only an hour away so its great for us
#836494 by clarkeysntfc
31 Jan 2013, 11:06
[quote="vsharan1P.S. Having actually travelled the AA2096, I can say that it is no better than an easyjet flight. [/quote]

Yes, I have to say thay in my experience AA (and United) are the absolute pits. I think they're worse than easyjet, because at least EZY don't claim to be a 'full service airline'.

I use Jetblue and Southwest wherever possible in the US. Virgin America was good when we tried them, but their network is very limited.
#836667 by vsharan1
02 Feb 2013, 05:17
@flabound - horror stories are unfounded, as you said. I dropped my sister off for her United (!) flight back to LHR via EWR and even though we got there 55 mins before departure (construction on the I-75), it was a smooth run for her. Free Wifi at the airport made it even better :D RSW is now my favorite airport in Florida, and its proximity to Punta Gorda (where some of my family lives) makes it just that bit easier for me than a direct flight to Tampa and then a rental.

@clarkeysntfc - Good point! It will be interesting to see what the new AA makeover yields in coming years, though I'm not too hopeful. I just wish Jetblue or Southwest were in an alliance with either VS or BA for the miles...then I could travel in some semblance of decency in the US. This whole Flying/Executive Club bug has got me skewing routes through not-so-exotic places just for the miles! I don't think I have taken a routing in the last 10 years that hasn't been twisted just so I could get good miles... I think I'm finally getting used to the punishment! ;)
Virgin Atlantic