#838410 by joeyc
19 Feb 2013, 21:38
Sky news reporting - will no doubt appear in the daily mail and others too :P

http://news.sky.com/story/1054156/briti ... lls-market

An interesting idea granted, although it would not be the path I would take as you then run the risk of having domestic and short haul destinations being truly seen as budget locations.. image retention over price in my eyes on that one unless they are having serious trouble filling these flights. Are the routes that vacant I wonder :?

It does however show the way the market is swinging if a flag carrier is looking to the budget airlines for direction B)

Just in time for VS domestic to prove that they are indeed different and innovative by not following suit.. lets hope ii)
#838411 by Luke12
19 Feb 2013, 21:46
Perhaps this just proves the point that even with all the advertising from BA that baggage is included, it makes no difference and price wins.

TBH, I think it's a good move. Looking at a few fares on the website, the difference between the baggage/no baggage fares is £7 (on an AMS route) which gives me the choice if I only want to travel with hand luggage or pay the £7.
#838433 by northernhenry
20 Feb 2013, 08:06
clarkeysntfc wrote:I'm really struggling to see what differentiator there now is between BA LGW short haul and Easyjet. A free drink and bag of nuts?

To be fair, what is short haul/domestic... It's a bus. How often do you NEED to have flowing drinks, a meal and the latest blockbuster on a 2 hour journey....
#838438 by at240
20 Feb 2013, 09:41
Typically passionate thread about this on FT. Status passengers seem to have their baggage allowance removed if they buy these fares. :0

It's not great, is it?
#838447 by MoJoJo
20 Feb 2013, 10:54
I fly the BA bus regularly and am pretty sure no one ever checks luggage anyway given the scrum to squeeze all the hand luggage in the over head bins that happens on every flight.
#838454 by PaulS
20 Feb 2013, 12:01
joeyc wrote:Sky news reporting - will no doubt appear in the daily mail and others too :P

http://news.sky.com/story/1054156/briti ... lls-market

An interesting idea granted, although it would not be the path I would take as you then run the risk of having domestic and short haul destinations being truly seen as budget locations.. image retention over price in my eyes on that one unless they are having serious trouble filling these flights. Are the routes that vacant I wonder :?

It does however show the way the market is swinging if a flag carrier is looking to the budget airlines for direction B)

Just in time for VS domestic to prove that they are indeed different and innovative by not following suit.. lets hope ii)

Why wouldn't you want a cheaper fare if your travelling VS from Manchester to LHR with just a small briefcase on business. Plus BA can do this base they offer 23kg hand luggage which on a shot break is plenty. I think try are reacting to the market :D
Virgin Atlantic