#839490 by joeyc
04 Mar 2013, 12:57
ii) ii)

Purse, check.. passport, check.. dog, check?!? ?|

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... board.html

The article does mention that dogs are allowed in the main cabin of some carriers but not BA.. anyone know why there are some out there that allow it? I thought that, unless an assistance animal, our four legged friends had to be secured in the hold ?|
#839492 by slinky09
04 Mar 2013, 13:04
Lots allow it, spend some time in US airports and it's very common. AF also allows it between France and Canada I believe.
#839493 by tontybear
04 Mar 2013, 13:36
Swiss allow small dogs (and cats) - there was one in J on one of my flights (BOS to ZRH). Not allowed to be loose in the cabin - so in a cage and small enough to fit into the pax own seat area plus it is route dependent too - so not allowed on UK flights for example

This is for pets - different rules for assistance dogs for example.
#839494 by wwings
04 Mar 2013, 13:41
I think most european carriers allow it. It is just the UK / Irish ones that don't.

As long as they fit in an approved container and go under the seat in front... they are not allowed out of the container and into the cabin... and fees are usually 20-80 euro per oneway.

US carriers also allow it and it is also allowed on international flights... ie you could do it with KL from AMS-JFK etc.
#839555 by Luke12
04 Mar 2013, 22:10
I'll never forget my first airport experience with a dog last year at SFO. Queuing for security for a VX flight and something started licking my leg! Not the sort of thing you expect in an Airport (well, any airport I've ever been to! I turned around to see a little dog, complete with full outfit and travel bag. Very cute!

(The dog did have an owner too! ;))
#839564 by joeyc
04 Mar 2013, 22:56
Luke12 wrote: Queuing for security for a VX flight and something started licking my leg!

One way a pax could kill time in the security queue :o) :o)

slinky09 wrote:Lots allow it, spend some time in US airports and it's very common.

Have, whilst I have seen a fair amount carried around in little carriers (usually Prada or some such :P ) I have never actually seen one on a plane. Saw an assistance dog once that the crew kept feeding (I know they shouldn't ii) ) but other than that I assumed, like pushchairs, they were locked away in the hold as you wander to the plane doors.

I stand corrected 8D
#839575 by at240
05 Mar 2013, 00:31
I once was on a flight with an assistance dog (well, I mean it was assisting someone else and I was on the same flight). I was bowled over by its absolutely impeccable behaviour. It was seriously impressive.

This was an overnight AA flight in Y -- if an animal can survive that, it can survive anything. :D
#839581 by wwings
05 Mar 2013, 08:54
It is very common in mainland europe and most times you would never even know the dog is there as they are usually very well behaved. There is usually s limit of 2 per aircraft too.
#839583 by pjh
05 Mar 2013, 09:09
wwings wrote:It is very common in mainland europe and most times you would never even know the dog is there as they are usually very well behaved. There is usually s limit of 2 per aircraft too.

What would happen if one of the passengers is allergic to animal hair?
#839587 by SNOMO
05 Mar 2013, 10:25
pjh wrote:
wwings wrote:It is very common in mainland europe and most times you would never even know the dog is there as they are usually very well behaved. There is usually s limit of 2 per aircraft too.

Probably the same as if you were allergic to sitting squashed in a seat next to a grossly overweight person - complain and you would be the one put off the flight !
Seriously though you could probably ask to be moved as far from the animal as possible.
#839659 by tontybear
05 Mar 2013, 22:09
SNOMO wrote:
pjh wrote:

Probably the same as if you were allergic to sitting squashed in a seat next to a grossly overweight person - complain and you would be the one put off the flight !
Seriously though you could probably ask to be moved as far from the animal as possible.

Air Canada ask that you tell them in advance if YOU are allergic.
here

They also have a five row buffer zone between animal and allergy sufferer but not sure who has to move - the human or the pet - to achieve this buffer.
Virgin Atlantic