#849490 by Hamster
25 Jun 2013, 16:33
British Airways announced today that travellers will be permitted to use their telephones and other handheld devices directly after landing of their flight from July 1st.

Link

How long till VS catch up?
#849492 by gfonk
25 Jun 2013, 16:41
me too, doesnt everyone already flick their phone on upon landing ??
#849497 by joeyc
25 Jun 2013, 16:47
gfonk wrote:me too, doesnt everyone already flick their phone on upon landing ??

Nope.... mine usually ends up rattling around in the carry on until I get to the scrum around the baggage belts.

Yep, the exception that proves the rule :P
#849501 by gfonk
25 Jun 2013, 16:56
joeyc wrote:
gfonk wrote:me too, doesnt everyone already flick their phone on upon landing ??

Nope.... mine usually ends up rattling around in the carry on until I get to the scrum around the baggage belts.

Yep, the exception that proves the rule :P

lol the self control! :P
#849502 by gfonk
25 Jun 2013, 16:57
Hamster wrote:
gfonk wrote:doesnt everyone already flick their phone on upon landing ??

Possibly a point BA made to the CAA to get dispensation. :P

Dispensation from?
#849504 by Hamster
25 Jun 2013, 17:02
gfonk wrote:Dispensation from?

From the CAA rules saying that on UK aircraft mobiles and small electronic devices must not be turned on until the engines have stopped and seatbelt signs have gone off.
#849505 by gfonk
25 Jun 2013, 17:05
Hamster wrote:
gfonk wrote:Dispensation from?

From the CAA rules saying that on UK aircraft mobiles and small electronic devices must not be turned on until the engines have stopped and seatbelt signs have gone off.

I see. Thanks Hamster |:) . Im still new to aviation so...
#849532 by tontybear
25 Jun 2013, 18:52
catsilversword wrote:And also signs in the US telling you not to use your mobile until after immigration is cleared?

Well the signs say not to use them in the hall not that they can't be used on the walk to the hall.

But I have seen people using them though but as long as it's not for too long a call the staff appear to let it go - unless you are being an arse about using it when they will act.

Definite no-no to use them in the smaller queues at the desks though.
#849542 by mitchja
25 Jun 2013, 19:13
I always turn off airplane mode as soon as the A/C lands here too.

Qantas have allowed the use of mobiles as soon as the A/C leaves the runway after landing in Australia for years now.
#849553 by honey lamb
25 Jun 2013, 19:45
The last few flights I have been on, the announcement NOT to turn on mobiles until you get to the terminal has been punctuated with a cacophony of various beeps, bursts of music and various cheers and chirrups as a planeload of mobile phones were switched on! ):
#849572 by pjh
25 Jun 2013, 21:41
honey lamb wrote:The last few flights I have been on, the announcement NOT to turn on mobiles until you get to the terminal has been punctuated with a cacophony of various beeps, bursts of music and various cheers and chirrups as a planeload of mobile phones were switched on! ):

I've always considered those who just can't wait those extra few minutes to switch their phone on as being determined to show the rest of us how d*mn important they are as they must, just must, disregard the instructions of those who are actually responsible for the aircraft and everyone on in it.

Present company excepted, of course.... :w
#849573 by McCoy
25 Jun 2013, 21:42
Exactly.
It's a bit of a joke.
I have dutifully left my phone off until literally leaving the plane, but I think I'm the only one.
Heck. I've seen people having conversations on calls with their mobile, during final approach. And the crew who could clearly see the offender, did nada..

Definitely time for a rule change, and rigid enforcement of whatever rule exists. Transparency and consistency.. why is that so difficult?
#849579 by gfonk
25 Jun 2013, 22:33
McCoy wrote:Heck. I've seen people having conversations on calls with their mobile, during final approach. And the crew who could clearly see the offender, did nada..

Definitely time for a rule change, and rigid enforcement of whatever rule exists. Transparency and consistency.. why is that so difficult?

That is really bad! I usually turn mine on once the seat belt signs go out and everyone is getting ready to leave the plan.
Making calls while still in the air on mobile is taking the biscuit me thinks
#849586 by NV43
25 Jun 2013, 23:05

No.

I only turn my mobile on when I want to make a call, and I never listen to messages. 8D

NV
#849588 by NV43
25 Jun 2013, 23:08
McCoy wrote:Exactly.
Heck. I've seen people having conversations on calls with their mobile, during final approach. And the crew who could clearly see the offender, did nada..

My personal option would be that the Cabin Crew are provided with either a bucket of water or a hammer.

NV
#849618 by Fuzzy14
26 Jun 2013, 10:00
NV43 wrote:My personal option would be that the Cabin Crew are provided with either a bucket of water or a hammer

After having mishaps with my mobile phone involving water, fence paint etc I can confirm the best way to kill one is a can of Irn Bru.

The plane is my sanctuary, while I've occasionally switched it on after seat belt lights have gone off to pick up text messages (on silent of course) I would never think of making a call until in the terminal.

"I'm on the plane. ON THE PLANE!!! Hello? JUST LANDED!!"
#849651 by McCoy
26 Jun 2013, 18:31
So if a forum of frequent (and presumably knowledgeable) flyers admit to disobeying the safety rules of an airlines by leaving their electronic device switched on when told not to, and activating their phone mode before being permitted to, it's no wonder the general pop have equally no respect for the rules.

Why do people feel it is okay to pick and choose which of the airline's safety rules they wish to follow?
#849663 by at240
26 Jun 2013, 19:46
McCoy wrote:Why do people feel it is okay to pick and choose which of the airline's safety rules they wish to follow?

OK, I'll bite! :D

I do tend to turn my phone on just after landing, and send a couple of texts or emails -- "Just landed safely" -- to let a couple of people know I'm still alive. The reason I do this is precisely because I am generally not permitted to do it whilst waiting in the very tedious immigration queues that seemingly greet weary travellers wherever they go. I assure you I don't do it because I think I AM VERY IMPORTANT. :)

I offer no defence in respect of my heinous conduct ): -- and I certainly do not condone rule-breaking. But the fact that various other reputable first-world airlines would permit me to do this suggests that I am not doing anything remotely dangerous. I think that's the rub -- the rules are silly.
#849668 by McCoy
26 Jun 2013, 19:56
Indeed - "the rules are silly"

;-) (yes, this is deliberately provocative, but I feel the debate is worthy...)

The rules you accept when agreeing to the conditions of carriage, when you buy your ticket.

What other rules are silly? Maintenance checks on aircraft? Sim checks for pilots?

Obviously not.

But who do you want deciding air travel rules?
Passengers?
Or the people whose job it is to make rules to make air travel as safe as humanly possible?

Surely it makes no difference what you think of the rule. If cabin crew ask you to do something, surely you are obliged to do as instructed? Including keeping your bleedin phone switched off?!! ;)
#849669 by gfonk
26 Jun 2013, 20:10
Just to clarify
I have never turned my mobile on while airborne or during taxi
If I really feel the need I wait until the plane is parked on the stand and the seatbelt lights are switched off
More often than not I wait till baggage claim
Virgin Atlantic