#860221 by Hull
24 Oct 2013, 18:01
joeyc wrote:
Got my December trip sorted into UC too.... damn got to love a good sale. :D

Good news, who doesn't love a good sale ): however I'm flying out to YVR in early Jan returning Feb in Economy as part of a package and can't take advantage of the BA sale :(
#860235 by joeyc
24 Oct 2013, 21:18
Hull wrote:
joeyc wrote:

Good news, who doesn't love a good sale ): however I'm flying out to YVR in early Jan returning Feb in Economy as part of a package and can't take advantage of the BA sale :(

Upgrade? ?|
#860271 by Hull
25 Oct 2013, 14:05
joeyc wrote:
Hull wrote:
joeyc wrote:

Upgrade? ?|

Don't think so buddy, I will be travelling as part of a group on a Snowboard Instructor course so will stay at the back with my new friends. TR to follow of course.
#860272 by Hull
25 Oct 2013, 14:07
Virginlondon wrote:Thanks for the heads up on this - just upgraded an economy (X code) Syd to Lon for just over £600 at the end of the year. Hard to say no to that

Wow £600 from Economy to Upper is a great price for that flight y) . Watch out for the jet lag on that flight having just done it a month ago in Upper it's a killer ][|)
#860274 by Virginlondon
25 Oct 2013, 14:37
Yes I agree although my economy seat was £1700 return!! I fly this route 1 or 2 times a year. Usually in PE, but the cost at Christmas was very high - hence economy. I'm usually Ok with the jet lag. When I fly Upper I look forward to it as its 24 hours away from the phone/e-mails etc
#860486 by catsilversword
30 Oct 2013, 19:56
I can't quite believe it, but I've just booked a flight to Phx with BA. I did look at doing a connecting VS experience but the price was just horrendous... It'll be the first time with BA for a long, long time... why do we feel so disloyal?!
#860611 by rosiehola
03 Nov 2013, 09:16
Just booked two Clubworld (business with BA) return tickets to NY for August for £1500 each Bargain!!!

I was upgraded for free with BA this year from World Traveller + to Club while travelling to NY and the service, food and everything else won hands down over Virgin - sorry...

Had my first Upper Class experience with Virgin in September and was really disappointed. Flew VS 10 from JFK...
#860612 by Blacky1
03 Nov 2013, 09:41
rosiehola wrote:Just booked two Clubworld (business with BA) return tickets to NY for August for £1500 each Bargain!!!

I was upgraded for free with BA this year from World Traveller + to Club while travelling to NY and the service, food and everything else won hands down over Virgin - sorry...

Had my first Upper Class experience with Virgin in September and was really disappointed. Flew VS 10 from JFK...

Did you do a TR ?
#860616 by Sealink
03 Nov 2013, 11:37
catsilversword wrote:I can't quite believe it, but I've just booked a flight to Phx with BA. I did look at doing a connecting VS experience but the price was just horrendous... It'll be the first time with BA for a long, long time... why do we feel so disloyal?!

Because you ARE!!

Only joking... 8D

I don't think anyone would blame for for choosing a direct flight over a connecting one.
#860689 by gumshoe
04 Nov 2013, 16:00
You may be disappointed with the lounges. They're a cut above most shared airport lounges but they're ultimately fairly bland, corporate lounges. Certainly no Clubhouse. And the ones in T5 are always busy even though the south one is HUGE.

Food is serve yourself buffet-style - the hot offering is "gloop" like curry, chilli & pasta (and jacket potatoes), but it's only available at lunchtime and dinnertime (or breakfast in the morning). In the middle of the day it's just sandwiches, salads & snacks. The caterers have changed in the past few months, sparking a very angry and vociferous backlash from the BA brethren over on Flyertalk.

The bar is also serve yourself - no cocktails alas!

Not tried the Elemis spa but there's certainly no hairdressing.

There's a quieter, smaller lounge in the T5B satellite, which is worth investigating if the PHX flight leaves from T5B or T5C. The trouble is they don't tend to announce the gate numbers until relatively close to boarding, so if you take a chance and catch the shuttle to T5B only to find the flight goes from the main terminal, you're a bit screwed as it's not easy to get back.

In the air - CW is a good product but, like UC, it has positives and negatives. The food & wine are widely thought to be better than VS. The seat itself is good - no need to get up to turn it into a flat bed - and the service is consistent & professional.

But I personally dislike the moveable opaque screen between you and the passenger next to you which has to be down for take-off and landing - meaning you're looking straight at them - and with a 2-4-2 config downstairs on the 747 the cabin does feel a bit like a dormitory. Try for upstairs if you can, but unless you have BA status you'll either have to pay £80 to request a seat or take your chance at OLCI at T-24, by which time upstairs may very easily be full. Plus if you're not in an aisle seat, you have to clamber over the passenger next to you to get out, if they're using their bed.

For me, UC wins overall but you may find you love CW!
#860704 by catsilversword
04 Nov 2013, 20:20
gumshoe wrote:You may be disappointed with the lounges. They're a cut above most shared airport lounges but they're ultimately fairly bland, corporate lounges. Certainly no Clubhouse. And the ones in T5 are always busy even though the south one is HUGE.

Food is serve yourself buffet-style - the hot offering is "gloop" like curry, chilli & pasta (and jacket potatoes), but it's only available at lunchtime and dinnertime (or breakfast in the morning). In the middle of the day it's just sandwiches, salads & snacks. The caterers have changed in the past few months, sparking a very angry and vociferous backlash from the BA brethren over on Flyertalk.

The bar is also serve yourself - no cocktails alas!

Not tried the Elemis spa but there's certainly no hairdressing.

There's a quieter, smaller lounge in the T5B satellite, which is worth investigating if the PHX flight leaves from T5B or T5C. The trouble is they don't tend to announce the gate numbers until relatively close to boarding, so if you take a chance and catch the shuttle to T5B only to find the flight goes from the main terminal, you're a bit screwed as it's not easy to get back.

In the air - CW is a good product but, like UC, it has positives and negatives. The food & wine are widely thought to be better than VS. The seat itself is good - no need to get up to turn it into a flat bed - and the service is consistent & professional.

But I personally dislike the moveable opaque screen between you and the passenger next to you which has to be down for take-off and landing - meaning you're looking straight at them - and with a 2-4-2 config downstairs on the 747 the cabin does feel a bit like a dormitory. Try for upstairs if you can, but unless you have BA status you'll either have to pay £80 to request a seat or take your chance at OLCI at T-24, by which time upstairs may very easily be full. Plus if you're not in an aisle seat, you have to clamber over the passenger next to you to get out, if they're using their bed.

For me, UC wins overall but you may find you love CW!

Thanks for all that, it sounds quite depressing! There was the option to reserve seats when I booked, but £65 each seemed ridiculous, so I guess we take our chances.... ;)
#860706 by gumshoe
04 Nov 2013, 20:41
Sorry, didn't mean to depress you!

Ultimately, UC and CW are very similar in terms of the on-board product. Both have pros and cons and while I prefer the VS offering, there are many who prefer BA so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On the ground, though, the VS Clubhouses win hands down. No contest.
#860740 by catsilversword
05 Nov 2013, 07:08
That's fine, I wasn't really that depressed :)

The last time we flew BA - must have been around 8 years ago - we'd beaked world traveller and got upgraded both ways to club. No idea how or why that happened, but did get a glimpse of online club - but no lounge access.
Virgin Atlantic