#862969 by Hull
18 Dec 2013, 18:16
I just heard on the Radio that BA are to allow the use Tablets and Mobile Phones throughout the flight including Taxi Takeoff and Landing as long as Flight Safe mode is enabled.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/1 ... e-use-from
#863395 by benchsmith
26 Dec 2013, 21:23
Hi Hamster, VS allowed this on the VS43 LGW to LAS on 04/12/13 and on the return VS44 LAS to LGW on 09/12/13. The cabin crew even give advice on data roaming options on your phone to be turned off. The only issue that arose was that during US airspace it would not work. This was not only the Aeromobile option it was the same with the normal mobile networks.

I must say it works very well.
#863405 by joeyc
26 Dec 2013, 22:58
VS emphatically did not permit this on the VS3 or the VS46 when I was flying on them last week. Perhaps it will take time to filter through the various routes.. crew might have to be briefed on additional safety concerns etc..
#863460 by benchsmith
27 Dec 2013, 21:44
joeyc that is possible the crew we had still enforced that those at exit rows / bulkhead seats still had to have items stowed for taxi take off and landing, all other passengers are free to use their devices as they wish.

also just had a random thought that Virgin are rolling out Wifi at Heathrow on their fleet so would make sense to roll out the use of devices at Gatwick first not to confuse CC or PAX alike.
#863468 by virginboy747
27 Dec 2013, 23:20
At the moment you still aren't supposed to use any personal electrical equipment during take off and landing everything should be switched off. It's just the IFE that is on. Mobile phones can be used after take off on aircraft that have aero mobile and no it won't work in US airspace as the USA for ids any use of mobile phones in their airspace. I expect VS will follow BA in time though regarding the use of tablets etc throughout the flight.
#863475 by adjonline
28 Dec 2013, 01:23
benchsmith wrote:There was a press release from EASA which confirms the use, dated 13/11 and another date 09/12.

Can confirm this was in operation on my flight with VS

The EASA have merely permitted airlines to make the change if they wish. They have not mandated it.
#863476 by joeyc
28 Dec 2013, 03:11
benchsmith wrote:joeyc that is possible the crew we had still enforced that those at exit rows / bulkhead seats still had to have items stowed for taxi take off and landing, all other passengers are free to use their devices as they wish.

Was in UC and nope not confusing wifi and the aeromobile system to "No electronic devices may be used upon takeoff and landing"

Probs just going to roll out gradually across the routes.. will see on my flights in the next couple of months and report back.
Virgin Atlantic