#864944 by gilly
20 Jan 2014, 11:47
We are travelling to Dubai in Club, which we haven't done before usually flying UC with VS.

I know there are Galleries lounges at T5, do they offer similar to the Clubhouse? And is there a time limit as we are likely to be dropped off quite early?
#864949 by gumshoe
20 Jan 2014, 13:20
Oh dear, I'm afraid if you're a VS Clubhouse fan you'll be left very underwhelmed by BA's offering.

True they're better than your standard shared lounge, but we're talking self service bar (ie no lovely cocktails), self service buffet of questionable quality (think sandwiches, salads, jacket potatoes, chilli, curry etc - and hot food only at meal times) and no hairdressing. There is a spa but I don't know what it's like.

There's no time limit though.

Oh, and despite being huge, they can get ridiculously busy. There are two in the main T5A (north, or far left as you exit security, and south, upstairs). If your flight leaves from T5B or C (the satellites) there's a third, much quieter and more convivial lounge in T5B - trouble is they don't tend to tell you the gate until quite close to departure so if you take the risk of going early to T5B and then find out you're leaving from the main terminal it's not that easy to return.
#864965 by gilly
20 Jan 2014, 17:01
Oh dear, that all sounds very depressing! So how do you know which lounge to go to? Is it just a question of pick one and hope for the best?
#864969 by gumshoe
20 Jan 2014, 18:23
Basically yes. The south one is much larger with more facilities (the spa, for one) but is more of a pain to get to as it's on the top floor of the building.

They both have more or less the same food & beverage offering though AFAIK.

If you're arriving early, you could try both - I'd start with the north one which is on your left as you exit north security.
#864990 by at240
20 Jan 2014, 22:28
A big +1 to what gumshoe said. I was very disappointed by the Galleries Club South lounge at T5. Food was absolutely pathetic and the place was filled with grumpy people hogging more seats than they needed. It was dingy and just far too busy to be relaxing -- not really much of an improvement on the terminal, which I quite like. It really made me appreciate the strength of the VS ground offering at LHR -- including the UC wing.

The spa, however, was good -- this being on a separate trip. Had a great facial (I think) and the assistant/therapist (not sure what the word is!) was very impressive. I think it is hard to get appointments, though.

The North lounge is near the domestic and (I think) predominantly short-haul gates. The South one is in the main lounge complex at the other end of the terminal. Long-haul flights do leave from the A gates so it is probably not worth gambling on using the T5B lounge.

The arrivals lounge is OK -- plenty of showers and a reasonable breakfast.
#864994 by gilly
20 Jan 2014, 22:38
Thanks for the info. Will stay nearer to the longer haul gates then.

Won't need Arrivals as we are joining the QM2 in Dubai and cruising back to Southampton. 18 lovely nights ^)
#865013 by lynnewob
21 Jan 2014, 05:43
Gilly

If you drink champagne, you will not find it easily at Galleries. You will have to ask a passing member of staff to bring you one, rather than fetch it yourself like the their wine which is self service. If you sit in an area near the staff doors, you get replenished more quickly as you can signal them each time.

I'm flying on VS upper on the way to Dubai on 17 April in order to hop on the Queen Elizabeth on 19 April back to Southampton. I think Cunard has booked the majority of the VS flight on 17 April as I couldn't get hubby on it, so he's travelling on Qantas in PE 30 minutes after me. I'm lumbered with the majority of the luggage though as I'll have 3 x 32kg and he has 40kg which can be split between 2 cases. We've arranged to meet at our hotel (Intercontinental, Festival City), on arrival.

All 3 Cunard ships meet in Lisbon and then again in Southampton on 9 May. QM2 will virtually be following us back and QV is on a Canaries trip. Hope you've treated yourself to a nice cabin, we've booked PG this time and we enjoyed the QM2 in December for 4 nights on a short Xmas market trip to Bruges.

Enjoy your trip, I can't wait now.

Lynne
#865019 by gilly
21 Jan 2014, 08:09
Hi Lynne

We normally fly UC on VS but there was quite a price difference so we were "happy" to give BA a shot. We hadn't originally planned to stay in Dubai at all, as it's not a place we really like, but eventually relented for a day of relaxation before boarding

Yes, we have got a (very)nice cabin in QG, so I am sure we'll be well looked after. We were on QE in QG last January crossing to Fort Lauderdale on her first leg and should have also been on QM2 on the 4 day jaunt in December but for my father-in-law being ill and my mother having to move into sheltered housing at very short notice.

Our itinerary is pretty boring, but we really just want a couple of weeks or so of sun and relaxation. And we have done all the ports before anyway. I imagine the 3 Queens will be quite a sight in port and perhaps a photo opportunity.

Wishing you a wonderful voyage and I'm sure we'll be waving at you from on board QM2.

Gill
#865032 by lynnewob
21 Jan 2014, 12:55
Gilly

I've tracked you down and note you also post on Cruise Critic (as do I but under the same user name). I recall saying it was a shame that you couldn't make that short cruise due to circumstances. What a small world this is.

We met a lovely couple in the QV Grills lounge in Sept who are doing the Fort Lauderdale return to Southampton trip this year on the QV again in QG and we thought about joining them but opted for this longer trip on the QE instead.

Take care
Lynne
#865051 by starquake
21 Jan 2014, 15:10
Ref: T5 Galleries, - agree with all above. If your gate is allocated to the remote terminal DEFINITELY use that after your duty free of course.

That said, I don't agree about the food - last food I had in there in (last) October was excellent - good selection of hot/cold food on buffet at lunch.

T5/Galleries is actually a reason I try to avoid BA where possible. No 1 lounge at T3 is better when not VS (as a PP member). Getting Champers is a pain, and also the spirit selection is relatively poor compared to club-house - and self serve.

Ultimately BA have better routings on some destinations and I have to put up with it. Worse, I'll lose access to lounges next December. Having access to lounge is definitely better than not though... its just no VS CH or No1 Heathrow.
#865074 by PaulS
21 Jan 2014, 20:04
Gilly

I often do this route as my sister lives in Dubai, and on my last trip I also chose BA on price. As this flight normally leaves from either 5B or 5C I use the galleries lounge at terminal 5B. I find that this lounge is usually a lot quieter and dont worry about the Champagnd, the lounge staff are happy to fetch it should you wish to drink it. Whilst the food is self service, again I have always found it quite acceptable. The good news is the flight should be excellent on either a 777 or a 747 (book the upper deck, just 24 suites). I was so impressed by the flight , the crew and food/wine that I have stayed with BA and I am now a gold.
#865098 by gilly
22 Jan 2014, 09:06
PaulS wrote:Gilly

I often do this route as my sister lives in Dubai, and on my last trip I also chose BA on price. As this flight normally leaves from either 5B or 5C I use the galleries lounge at terminal 5B. I find that this lounge is usually a lot quieter and dont worry about the Champagnd, the lounge staff are happy to fetch it should you wish to drink it. Whilst the food is self service, again I have always found it quite acceptable. The good news is the flight should be excellent on either a 777 or a 747 (book the upper deck, just 24 suites). I was so impressed by the flight , the crew and food/wine that I have stayed with BA and I am now a gold.

That's very helpful, thank you very much.
#865099 by gilly
22 Jan 2014, 09:08
lynnewob wrote:Gilly

I've tracked you down and note you also post on Cruise Critic (as do I but under the same user name). I recall saying it was a shame that you couldn't make that short cruise due to circumstances. What a small world this is.

We met a lovely couple in the QV Grills lounge in Sept who are doing the Fort Lauderdale return to Southampton trip this year on the QV again in QG and we thought about joining them but opted for this longer trip on the QE instead.

Take care
Lynne

I thought your name was familiar. Small world indeed.

Hopefully we'll both have a fab time.
#865100 by PaulS
22 Jan 2014, 11:29
gumshoe wrote:Fans of the food in BA's T5 lounges may - or may not - want to read this before they consider touching the gloop on the buffet again.

http://techblog.smashing.net/tag/heathrow-airport/

The VS Clubhouse, incidentally, scored 4/5. I know where I'd rather eat ...

We could all publish links that would show other airlines in a bad light for example you might want to read this before flying with VS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... probe.html

The fact is it would be ridiculous to decide not to fly with VS based on this article as it is to not eat in the BA lounges. To my knowledge there has not been any reported cases of food poisoning as a result of the consumption of BA lounge food.

I can't understand why Brits can't fly with either of our two outstanding airlines. And why so many think it is unloyal to fly with the other side. The only criticism I would have of VS is that it concentrates or relies too much on its lounges and it should focus more on the flight experience. After all most of the profitable airlines don't have lounges that come any where hear to the standard of VS so the business passengers are clearly showing that the lounge experience is at lot lower on the decision making list than reflected on this forum.
#865103 by gumshoe
22 Jan 2014, 13:28
Like most things in life, the question of whether BA or VS is better is entirely down to personal taste.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses and while BA's website and booking process is streets ahead, I find CW very average. I don't like the seat layout with those horrible dividers and the need to clamber over your neighbour. And serving meals from carts in those 777 "flying dorms" doesn't make it feel like a premium product.

But you're right - VS has its fair share of flaws too and in truth both could probably do with upping their game in the face of ever stronger competition from middle and far east carriers.

So, as the old saying goes, each to their own. But the OP started this thread to ask specifically about BA's lounges at LHR so while they may be low on your list of priorities, which is fair enough, they're obviously important to her so the info about poor hygiene is entirely relevant.
#865142 by gilly
22 Jan 2014, 20:53
Since the one way flight was booked through Cunard - cheaper that way - we were only offered VS, BA or Lufthansa - and we wanted a direct flight.
#865144 by ratechaser
22 Jan 2014, 21:25
PaulS wrote:
gumshoe wrote:Fans of the food in BA's T5 lounges may - or may not - want to read this before they consider touching the gloop on the buffet again.

http://techblog.smashing.net/tag/heathrow-airport/

The VS Clubhouse, incidentally, scored 4/5. I know where I'd rather eat ...

We could all publish links that would show other airlines in a bad light for example you might want to read this before flying with VS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... probe.html

The fact is it would be ridiculous to decide not to fly with VS based on this article as it is to not eat in the BA lounges. To my knowledge there has not been any reported cases of food poisoning as a result of the consumption of BA lounge food.

I can't understand why Brits can't fly with either of our two outstanding airlines. And why so many think it is unloyal to fly with the other side. The only criticism I would have of VS is that it concentrates or relies too much on its lounges and it should focus more on the flight experience. After all most of the profitable airlines don't have lounges that come any where hear to the standard of VS so the business passengers are clearly showing that the lounge experience is at lot lower on the decision making list than reflected on this forum.

It's hard to avoid the hygeine issue really, and there was a very loud outcry over on the BA FT forum when this came out. It didn't help that there had already been loud criticism of the food quality going down the pan since BA changed supplier. So fair comment I think.

As for Virgin's focus on the soft product, long may it continue. Aside from being in the a-zone of a 744, the CH is a real pleasure to experience, especially when travelling on holiday...
Virgin Atlantic