#867072 by 747heaven
24 Feb 2014, 13:59
I went to New York last June and chose to take BA this time over Virgin because of flight availability and times etc that I preferred.
I flew back on BA 186 from Newark which was scheduled to dpeart at 22.30. So as normal went to check in 3 hours at airport. Only to be told by check in staff that flight had only taken off an hour ago from Heathrow.
I specifically put on my booking that if case of any delays to text my mobile phone because likelihood we would have checked out of hotel which was the case. Not that BA called them anway.
Flight did not arrive until 12.55am and did not get up in the air until 2.57am.
Not sure how we managed that given I thought airports were closed after a certain time.
It was explained that the delay was caused due to flaps not working properly and they thought it was easier to fix the problem that drag another 777 out of the hanger as a replacement. In the end they had to do the latter We were given a $10 voucher to use in the airport, last of the big spenders that.
On my return my friend who went with me complained to BA of the problems it caused and has taken seven months to respond and the word " sorry " used once, it just bleated about it was out of their control and look forward to seeing us again.
Not me you wont, if that is their idea of good customer service.
We werent even after compensation, just an apology and contrition for the delay and lack of communication that led to us spending 8 hours in Newark airport, I felt like Tom Hanks in the Airport.
Good customer service goes along way to repeat business, bad customer service is not easily forgotten
#867079 by clarkeysntfc
24 Feb 2014, 14:52
You need to do some reading on EU261/2004.

You could be entitled to 600 euros compensation per passenger.

BA won't proactively offer you it (even though they should), you need to claim it.
#867123 by PaulS
24 Feb 2014, 21:21
Welcome to the world of air travel and good luck with the EU claim. I could post a reply I got from a Emirates after two dreadful first glass flights which was totally condescending or the three EU claims rejected by VS one for over 24hours where they couldn't even be bothered to drag a replacement plane out of the hanger, but it's pointless as eventually all of us will suffer delays and a lack of communication with whoever we fly with
#867124 by 747heaven
24 Feb 2014, 21:27
PaulS wrote:Welcome to the world of air travel and good luck with the EU claim. I could post a reply I got from a Emirates after two dreadful first glass flights which was totally condescending or the three EU claims rejected by VS one for over 24hours where they couldn't even be bothered to drag a replacement plane out of the hanger, but it's pointless as eventually all of us will suffer delays and a lack of communication with whoever we fly with

It shouldn't ever be that way but you are right
#867130 by mitchja
24 Feb 2014, 21:39
I agree, EU261/2004 is an utter waste of time as airlines will worm their way out of having to compensate pax.
#867133 by 747heaven
24 Feb 2014, 21:58
mitchja wrote:I agree, EU261/2004 is an utter waste of time as airlines will worm their way out of having to compensate pax.

Doesn't surprise me and there seems to be an attitude with in a lot of airlines " oh well we are late the passengers will have to like it or lump it "
#867323 by SNOMO
26 Feb 2014, 16:27
Put your claim in but NOT on-line. Send them a letter with all the flight details (check FlightStats site for the details of where your plane was and when. It happened to us last year on a flight to Canada + an internal flight and we ended up 14 hours delayed at our arrival airport.
On return I sent them (BA) a letter claiming and within two weeks I received a e-mail giving us each 10K AVios for my inconvenience and a week later we got 600 Euro's each :D
Nice one BA
#867347 by 747heaven
26 Feb 2014, 21:48
SNOMO wrote:Put your claim in but NOT on-line. Send them a letter with all the flight details (check FlightStats site for the details of where your plane was and when. It happened to us last year on a flight to Canada + an internal flight and we ended up 14 hours delayed at our arrival airport.
On return I sent them (BA) a letter claiming and within two weeks I received a e-mail giving us each 10K AVios for my inconvenience and a week later we got 600 Euro's each :D
Nice one BA

Brilliant, I am going to try that thanks
Virgin Atlantic