#867708 by Hellsbells
03 Mar 2014, 16:35
Looking at a September trip from LHR-LAX then returning from SAN-LHR. I haven't flown long long haul with BA for many years but fly short haul with BA very regularly.
After looking at the whole reward,classes, I realise i could probably be making better use of how I book to get the best return. Although at present I don't have many avios/exec points left. I don't think the Bronze status accounts for much?

I usually fly Long haul with VA twice a year in PE and I book during the sale & incorporate my miles plus money to get an extra discount. Because of this booking class (K) i don't get offered anything further which is fine by me.

My question is regarding BA. The above flight Im hoping to get in the next WT+ sale (aprox £1000pp, I've checked against the last 2 years sale dates/prices, i realise this isn't guaranteed). What happens with a BA sale booking-ie Would it possibly give me an upgrade option to CW or like VA is this a definite No if I've booked sale tickets?
If its a yes and i pay cash, how then do i see if i can upgrade - does it appear on the 'Manage my booking' page and give me a cash/avios/exec points option?
Trying to avoid returning to LAX for the return leg as it seems a waste of a day but at present the price difference between returning from Los Angeles (VA) or San Diego (BA) is £700. Which is the cost of another PE seat elsewhere to me :-)
Any advice would be appreciated.
#867709 by Hamster
03 Mar 2014, 16:47
You can upgrade all booking classes of WT+ to CW with Avios.

If there is availability, you can do it at the same time as making the cash booking. If not, keep an eye on availability of CW Avios rewards and then upgrade if/when they become available.
#867711 by Hellsbells
03 Mar 2014, 17:02
Thanks Hamster, Got a mini trip to Paris booked and saw an upgrade option once I booked so I was hoping that might the case.

Thanks for your help, praying for a March WT+ sale now :-) I think I'll burst if I have to wait till the June one.
#867715 by PaulS
03 Mar 2014, 20:20
And they have got the new A380 on the LA route. I can highly recommend CW on the upper deck.
Virgin Atlantic