#868969 by sgilly74
24 Mar 2014, 16:28
We are booked on the VS0019 London Heathrow to San Francisco on 23/09/14 - need to book BA flights Newcastle to Heathrow to get this flight, would the flight that arrives from newcastle at 10.15am give us plenty time? We are flying PE on the Virgin Flight and would have used OLCI.

Also returning home, we arrive at Gatwick at 10.30am from Las Vegas (VS0044) (no easyjet gatwick to Newcastle this day v( v( at Easyjet)

Not a problem to get a private car/taxi for in between Gatwick / heathrow (have done it before) however Flight from Heathrow to Newcastle leaves at 13.40pm - will this give us enough time

Arrive Gatwick 10.30am - leave Heathrow 13.40pm?? do-able?
#868974 by preiffer
24 Mar 2014, 18:04
Your inbound is "do-able" BUT associated with many risks (inbound delays, transport problems between the two airports etc).

Outbound, again do-able (and at least it's in the same airport!) so I'd say that's a more comfortable one. In reality, even with delays, a 3 hour connection it's unlikely to be a problem.

The reality is, you're booking the connections independently - do NOT expect VS to help if something goes wrong. They *might* help, but it will be in good will, not out of obligation - reading the VS Facebook page, many people seem to believe VS are responsible for their own travel arrangements if made independently : they're not.

I'd say the outbound is less of a risk (but STILL a small risk, given inbound delays to LHR during the late morning). Inbound, hmmm - personally, I'd say it's tight but again do-able.

You just have to factor how much of a risk you're willing to take versus the costs with any overnight accommodation to make 99.999% sure you won't have an issue.
#868997 by AmexVflyer
24 Mar 2014, 23:40
Arrive Gatwick 10.30am - leave Heathrow 13.40pm?? do-able?

It's doable - but very risky imo. Bare in mind you have to be at LHR T5 1 hour before departure, so that's 12.40. Land at LGW 10.30, all depending on how quick you get off the plane, then there's immigration, collect your bags, get through customs. Find your driver, get to the car!! The main unknown variable here will be the M25 motorway, on a good day it could be a breeze, but it's the M25 which is a law unto itself. :?
#869015 by sgilly74
25 Mar 2014, 09:33
We've decided to travel down to London the night before our flight, that way we have np risk for the flight going out.....

Coming home, well don't know what to do? either get the train home, never done it before and quite nervous as don't know London Train stations at all, and not looking forward to that after a 9 hour night flight....

only flight coming back to Newcastle form Gatwick is at 19.00pm - so not really an option - means sitting in airport from 10.30am to 19.00pm??

next flight due out of Heathrow is at 18.30pm, so would still mean a horribly long wait at the airport....??
#869141 by AmexVflyer
26 Mar 2014, 11:32
Coming home, well don't know what to do? either get the train home, never done it before and quite nervous as don't know London Train stations at all, and not looking forward to that after a 9 hour night flight....

The train may be a viable option, as for London Stations - well it's not as scary as it looks.

Gatwick Airport to St.Pancras International (Thameslink)
Walk across to Kings Cross - few minutes at best
Kings Cross to Newcastle

Not knowing the day you're travelling I couldn't look at timings but even with the train you'd be back in Newcastle by 1700. y)
#869147 by AmexVflyer
26 Mar 2014, 12:08
Timetables for October are not out as yet, but based on current timetables you would be looking at something along these lines....

Gatwick - St Pancras International Thameslink 1147 - 1249
Cross the road to Kings Cross
Kings Cross - Newcastle 1330 - 1637

And theres another one like it exactly an hour later.

Like I said in an earlier post there are just too many variables that could go wrong and it only takes one thing and disaster. Arriving back in the UK on a Saturday for some reason is terrible for UK domestic connections ?|

Hope this helps in some way,
#869149 by sgilly74
26 Mar 2014, 12:21
Thank you AmesVflyer that is great, very helpful, I will keep an eye closer to the time and get tickets booked.

I agree with your point about UK domestic connections on a saturday, and unfortunately getting back to Newcastle area seems to be the worst one of all.

We like flying with Virgin, we have for previous 2 USA holidays, but getting to Gatwick from Newcastle is proving to be more difficult each time.

We've got Gatwick to Florida in May, then September Holiday Heathrow to San Francisco and Return Las Vegas to Gatwick, but shouldn't complain with 2 USA holidays booked.....think of the Airmiles :) :) :)

Really could do with the "little Red" fleet being rolled out to Newcastle.
Virgin Atlantic