#884407 by olisones
30 Sep 2014, 13:32
So I've been booked from LAS to LHR in November in business on BA. As I've always flown VS this is a bit of step into the unknown for me..! What can I expect from CW as opposed to UC? Is there any major differences?

One small step for a VS flyer......

Thanks!
#884409 by marshy11
30 Sep 2014, 13:37
Not quite LAS but if you read my TR last year from LGW to BGI, we were due to go UC but got bumped onto BACW. There are some pics to give you an idea.

http://baflyer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=251
#884410 by gumshoe
30 Sep 2014, 13:43
They both use the same lounge at LAS so that's not an issue.

If it's a 747 try and sit in the bubble. Although if you haven't got status with BA you'll have to pay to select seats in advance, even in CW. And it's not cheap - £65 downstairs, £80 in the bubble. Window seats are more private but if the person in the aisle's lying down you'll have to step over them to get in & out. There's no onboard bar (although of course the CC will bring drinks to your seat) and meal service is off carts rather than individually served.
#884411 by olisones
30 Sep 2014, 13:54
Although if you haven't got status with BA you'll have to pay to select seats in advance, even in CW. And it's not cheap - £65 downstairs, £80 in the bubble.

They charge for seat selection in Business? Wow...!
#884420 by PaulS
30 Sep 2014, 14:54
If you can get the upper deck seat 64A is the prized seat (4 windows). Only 20 suites and 62/64 window seats have direct aisle access. Really like being on a private and I prefer this cabin to first on a 747. I would recommend you pay the £80. Don't forget you can use the arrivals lounge at Heathrow T5 where you can shower, get your clothes pressed and enjoy a full a English breakfast.
#884421 by tontybear
30 Sep 2014, 15:04
olisones wrote:
Although if you haven't got status with BA you'll have to pay to select seats in advance, even in CW. And it's not cheap - £65 downstairs, £80 in the bubble.

Yes.

Unless you have status in BAEC of course but then there are limits e.g. Bronze is free within 7 days of the flight - that's if all the Silver and Golds haven't nabbed the good ones of course because they can select at time of booking.
#884422 by olisones
30 Sep 2014, 15:09
tontybear wrote:
olisones wrote:

Yes.

Unless you have status in BAEC of course but then there are limits e.g. Bronze is free within 7 days of the flight - that's if all the Silver and Golds haven't nabbed the good ones of course because they can select at time of booking.

The person that booked the flight is a Gold member and has booked the flight for me. Can they book on my behalf?

Oli
#884425 by starquake
30 Sep 2014, 17:00
Unless you travelling with him - the answer is likely No from past experience.

If he's travelling on same flight even on seperate PNR he'll be able to deal with it.
#884428 by hiljil
30 Sep 2014, 18:49
And don't hold your breath that you will end up in the seat you paid for. Despite paying eleven months in advance each time I've only once had the seat I paid for in what is now 7 flights with BA CW ! :(!
#884453 by gfonk
01 Oct 2014, 09:18
hiljil wrote:And don't hold your breath that you will end up in the seat you paid for. Despite paying eleven months in advance each time I've only once had the seat I paid for in what is now 7 flights with BA CW ! :(!

really? wow
what was the reason? were the planes changed at last minute?
#884455 by clarkeysntfc
01 Oct 2014, 09:44
hiljil wrote:And don't hold your breath that you will end up in the seat you paid for. Despite paying eleven months in advance each time I've only once had the seat I paid for in what is now 7 flights with BA CW ! :(!

You should have had a refund of the fee in these cases.
#884462 by hiljil
01 Oct 2014, 10:51
Yes gfonk a plane change was the reason for most of the times . Once I have no idea . Once I was moved from window to centre block a few weeks before my flight. I saw "my seats" were still showing so I moved myself back ....

Really clarkeysntfc ? Even for a plane change ? I was very disappointed at LGW check in this time as I still had "my seat " when I did online check in the day before. But nothing was said. I even spoke to a Customer Services man in the lounge and he didn't say anything about a refund. Do you know how I go about applying please ? I haven't made the return flight yet so I guess there is still time ? But I bet there is something in the small print somewhere .....

Thank you.
hiljil
#884477 by gumshoe
01 Oct 2014, 12:39
Absolutely you should claim a refund! You have paid good money for a service that BA has not provided.

In fact it's shocking that they don't refund you automatically but no doubt that would cost them far more as most people won't bother going through the rigmarole of claiming.

The BA website clearly states you can claim a refund if there's an aircraft change and they're unable to provide a suitable alternative seat that you're happy with. And clearly, you weren't happy with the alternative offered, were you??!!

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/inf ... nd-refunds
#884492 by gfonk
01 Oct 2014, 15:31
thanks hiljil and gumshoe
i will bear that in mind.
as we have also paid for seat requests.
#884549 by hiljil
02 Oct 2014, 01:21
Thank you for the link,gumshoe .

When I was at the check in desk this time I said how disappointed I was to be moved as I never seemed to get the seat that I had paid for . The girl smiled and all she said was , " Well it will be a nice surprise for you when you do ! " !!!!!!!
#884551 by catsilversword
02 Oct 2014, 06:35
gumshoe wrote:They both use the same lounge at LAS so that's not an issue.

If it's a 747 try and sit in the bubble. Although if you haven't got status with BA you'll have to pay to select seats in advance, even in CW. And it's not cheap - £65 downstairs, £80 in the bubble. Window seats are more private but if the person in the aisle's lying down you'll have to step over them to get in & out. There's no onboard bar (although of course the CC will bring drinks to your seat) and meal service is off carts rather than individually served.

That's interesting gumshoe. We flew with BA last month CW and meals were individually served. Not that it made any difference to taste lol.
#884552 by catsilversword
02 Oct 2014, 06:38
The whole thing about paying to book (reserve only probably) is a total farce. It isn't as though you aren't already paying enough! I kept getting messages, suggesting I did that, it was £60 out and £70 back (no idea why the difference).

Personally, I refuse to pay extra when, let's face it, I've already paid for one. Then again, too many people do pay and therefore it's not a concept that's likely to be dropped :(

Back to VS for me... :)
#884554 by PaulS
02 Oct 2014, 07:50
catsilversword wrote:The whole thing about paying to book (reserve only probably) is a total farce. It isn't as though you aren't already paying enough! I kept getting messages, suggesting I did that, it was £60 out and £70 back (no idea why the difference).

Personally, I refuse to pay extra when, let's face it, I've already paid for one. Then again, too many people do pay and therefore it's not a concept that's likely to be dropped :(

Back to VS for me... :)

The problem is that with most BA status holders like myself the payment scheme is very popular as it allows silver and gold to choose their seats and anybody else on the same booking free of charge. Golds can even allocate seats for friends even on seperate bookings if they are on the same flight. If your travelling with babies you can also allocate free. The other point is that you can do this from the moment you book unlike VS where is from T60. The final point is that sometimes even after you have paid for the seat reservation the overall price can still be less than tickets on other airlines on the same route on the same day so it's not always as black and white as it seems. :D
#884555 by clarkeysntfc
02 Oct 2014, 08:06
hiljil wrote:Thank you for the link,gumshoe .

When I was at the check in desk this time I said how disappointed I was to be moved as I never seemed to get the seat that I had paid for . The girl smiled and all she said was , " Well it will be a nice surprise for you when you do ! " !!!!!!!

Send BA an email with flight details and PNRs requesting refunds for each seat request.

BA is notorious for wiggling out of paying compensation, just look at the EU261 compensation thread on flyertalk.
#884575 by gumshoe
02 Oct 2014, 13:34
The most interesting thing I've learned this year about BA is its scoring system for Executive Club members. Everyone is rated between 0 and 100 depending on how important they are to BA.

So if you're a lowly Blue, your score will be no higher than 5. Bronze 6-13, Silver 14-35, Gold 36-96 and Gold Guest List 97-100. Needless to say, the higher your score the better you'll be treated. Zeros, presumably, should consider themselves lucky to be even allowed on the plane!

BA - where you really are just a number, not a name.
#884577 by PaulS
02 Oct 2014, 13:57
So are we that nieve to believe that other airlines don't favour their customers as to status, likewise any loyalty scheme has enhancements. :D
Virgin Atlantic