#884768 by Fuzzy14
04 Oct 2014, 20:45
Had two poor flights with BA in the summer (and write TRs of them on here). I sent off two invidual complaints, the first addressing a tatty plane and loss of bulkhead seats was replied to within 5 days. No mention of the 2nd complaint relating to an 8 hour delay.

I complained again late July, and then followed up that complaint with an email then a phone call. It would seem they had merged the two complaints into the one as they were part of the same booking number. They were now aware of it and will have a look.

That was the end of July. I have occasionally given them a tweet or phone call to chase them up but the response back is they're looking at it and can't give me an estimated date as to when they'll respond.

I think 10 weeks is sufficient, is there a time limit on these things? Those who have also complained what's the average response time for an EU compensation claim?
#884778 by tontybear
05 Oct 2014, 03:45
Fuzzy14 wrote:
I think 10 weeks is sufficient, is there a time limit on these things? Those who have also complained what's the average response time for an EU compensation claim?

Was it clear in your original complaint that you were claiming under EU261? If not then you need to. I think off the top of my head that the deadline for EU161 claims is 6 years but it is obviously better mot to wait that long.

That said 10 weeks is still far too long to wait.

even if you do a MCOL claim the court will still expect you to have given BA an opportunity to respond before the claim so a clear letter before action would benefit you. Just state that unless you receive a response within 14 days you will commence action.
Last edited by tontybear on 05 Oct 2014, 11:17, edited 2 times in total.
#884801 by SNOMO
05 Oct 2014, 16:27
As Tontybear says, did you say you were making a claim under the EU delay regulations? My claim only took 2 weeks to settle, no argument and full amount straight into the bank. I didn't do it on-line tho as I wanted to send them the time line for our particular flight as proof.
#884804 by PaulS
05 Oct 2014, 16:58
I fell fowl of some small print which resulted in not being award nearly 100,000 Avios points and whilst I new that BA had acted within their rules I wrote a letter stating I felt that due to this small print being so hidden that they hadn't acted in the sprit of fairness. I received a reply within four days and had all the Avios credited to my account, so sometimes it can be how you write the letter.

As for delays and seat moving this applies to all airlines and eventually we all have to suffer this during our lifetime of flying. Also tatty planes likewise this applies to all airlines, it just depends where they are on their replacement schedule. I flew on an Emirates 777 in first that was pre-suite and tatty as hell. Likewise three or four years ago VS had 747's that were desperately needing refurbishment. The delay of the 787 into service has affected lots of airlines replacement schedules.
#884954 by Fuzzy14
07 Oct 2014, 13:18
SNOMO wrote:As Tontybear says, did you say you were making a claim under the EU delay regulations? My claim only took 2 weeks to settle, no argument and full amount straight into the bank. I didn't do it on-line tho as I wanted to send them the time line for our particular flight as proof.

There were other issues beside the delay hence I did it as a standard complaint.

I tweeted them on Sunday, standard response
"Hi Fuzzy, we can assure you we're looking into this for you. Once we have an update we'll contact you directly."

PaulS, the outbound flight/seat change/tatty plane issue was resolved after 5 days with some Avois points.
#885039 by SNOMO
08 Oct 2014, 13:57
Fuzzy14 wrote:
SNOMO wrote:As Tontybear says, did you say you were making a claim under the EU delay regulations? My claim only took 2 weeks to settle, no argument and full amount straight into the bank. I didn't do it on-line tho as I wanted to send them the time line for our particular flight as proof.

There were other issues beside the delay hence I did it as a standard complaint.

I tweeted them on Sunday, standard response
"Hi Fuzzy, we can assure you we're looking into this for you. Once we have an update we'll contact you directly."

PaulS, the outbound flight/seat change/tatty plane issue was resolved after 5 days with some Avois points.

We had other issues too Paul, i.e. so late into Montreal that it was closed for the night, no one to help us (so collared flight staff as they left plane) missed onward flight, had to be put up in hotel and flights changed to next morning.... Got full compensation, overnight accommodation plus 10K Avios each
#886483 by Fuzzy14
28 Oct 2014, 11:46
Well it took 14 weeks or 100 days for them to respond to my complaint but got there in the end. They couldn't give me a reason why it took so long other than they were waiting on information from other departments. They still haven't explained why the flight was delayed, nor why a couple of other things went wrong in the process but I've given up trying to help them.
#886486 by plane340
28 Oct 2014, 12:55
Booked a BA holiday (flight, hotel & car) for travel in August this yesr.
The car hire was through Avis and when I arrived at Malaga I was hit with the 'you have to take out extra insurance for 180 euro or risk up to a a 1400 euro charge if any damage is caused" story....
I reluctantly paid the 180 euro's but when I got back, I complained to BA and all was sorted and refunded to my card within about 28 days.
#886487 by tontybear
28 Oct 2014, 13:45
If you want to pursue a claim for the delay then write to them again clearly stating that you are claiming under EU 261/2004 and give them 14 days to give you a proper response otherwise you will initiate a MCOL (Money Claim On Line*) claim without further notice.

That usually gets them to respond but a MCOL claim definitely does.

* despite the rather dodgy sounding name it is part of the courts service so is perfectly legit.
Virgin Atlantic