#886407 by oldboy
27 Oct 2014, 10:04
I managed to book two Club World seats yesterday in the BA sale for flights to Vancouver next year, I was very pleased with the price available. I haven't flown BA Club for probably 15+ years, certainly before the days of flat beds, I am travelling with my partner, understand aircraft should be a 747, can anyone please advise which are best seats.

Have to say that I am not at all impressed to learn that I actually have to pay to have seats allocated.

Thank you and best regards

oldboy
#886413 by PaulS
27 Oct 2014, 11:38
Rows 62 and 64 upstairs are the prized seats as the all have aisle access. Only 20 suites upstairs and it's like a private jet. You can find seat maps at the sister site here

http://ba-flyer.com/seatmaps.php

Seat pricing is a contentious issue on this site, but at the end of the day it boils down to two things.
Firstly it keeps BA silver and golds feeling valued as they get this free
Secondly if the total price including selecting your seats is still cheaper than airlines who have let you select the seat for free but secretly built it into the price then your still ahead on price
#886415 by Concorde RIP
27 Oct 2014, 11:51
Agreed - in the bubble trumps all.

Failing that, you might consider two in the middele (E and F), but they are the rearward facing seats, and you also need to bypass folks in the isle seats. However, these two are really quite nice and private once the screens go up.
#886431 by kered
27 Oct 2014, 14:43
One thing of note here is that YVR is one of the routes, (PHX /LAS / CPT) being the others, that BA are operating with 747's that have not & will not be fitted with the new First Class cabin, so still have the older Fist Class seats fitted.

The great benefit of this is that BA are no longer selling First on these routes & are now allowing those booked in CW to select seats up front in the First Class cabin, albeit with a CW standard of service.

Some (myself included) would argue that the lack of the First Class service, is no loss whatsoever & that being able to travel for 10+ hours to YVR siting in the First seats for a CW price, especially at the current sale fares, is just super 8D
#886435 by oldboy
27 Oct 2014, 15:58
kered wrote:One thing of note here is that YVR is one of the routes, (PHX /LAS / CPT) being the others, that BA are operating with 747's that have not & will not be fitted with the new First Class cabin, so still have the older Fist Class seats fitted.

The great benefit of this is that BA are no longer selling First on these routes & are now allowing those booked in CW to select seats up front in the First Class cabin, albeit with a CW standard of service.

Some (myself included) would argue that the lack of the First Class service, is no loss whatsoever & that being able to travel for 10+ hours to YVR siting in the First seats for a CW price, especially at the current sale fares, is just super 8D

Many thanks for this information, I am going to book seats this afternoon.

oldboy
#886437 by oldboy
27 Oct 2014, 16:41
Seats now booked (Row 62) in the bubble for outbound & return flights, seats in the front (former first class) cabin currently all showing as unavailable, I will keep an eye open for these seats being released.

Cost of having these seats allocated was £340 (4 x &85), and although not at all happy about this fee I do think that as per Paul S's comments that I am happy with the overall price paid.

Thank you all for assistance.

Best regards

oldboy
#886439 by kered
27 Oct 2014, 17:03
Mmm interesting about the Front Cabin seats all showing as unavailable.

I'm wondering do you have to have status to get access to those seats ?

All three cabins were showing available for me when I booked a wee jaunt to Las Vegas for April next, over the weekend, but then I currently hold Silver Status within the BAEC, which could explain why I got access to the front cabin.
#886440 by oldboy
27 Oct 2014, 17:09
kered wrote:Mmm interesting about the Front Cabin seats all showing as unavailable.

All three cabins were showing available for me when I booked a wee jaunt to Las Vegas for April next, over the weekend, but then I currently hold Silver Status within the BAEC, which could explain why I got access to the front cabin.

Could be, our flights are in April also, the front cabin unavailable to me on both outbound & return flights, I called BA to check this out, I was advised to try again at a later date.

oldboy
#886441 by kered
27 Oct 2014, 17:18
If you had a subscription to expertflyer.com, you could check the seat maps for your flights & see if the front seats are actually available or not.

Or if you wish, give me the dates of your flights via PM & I'll take a look for you y)
#886449 by PaulS
27 Oct 2014, 18:21
OF cabin normally kept for golds and silvers. Not sure if it opens up at T24 for other passengers.
#886450 by kered
27 Oct 2014, 18:23
Well that confirms my suspicion so, Golds & Silver only !

Explains why I could get them & "oldboy" couldn't.
#886453 by Hamster
27 Oct 2014, 18:36
OF cabin is for status pax and is only opened up if they think they will need it.

oldboy wrote:Cost of having these seats allocated was £340 (4 x &85), and although not at all happy about this fee I do think that as per Paul S's comments that I am happy with the overall price paid.

This is where one world status helps! The (old) free Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Gold card with the amex plat really helped here if you didn't have Sapphire status with any of the other airlines.
#886454 by oldboy
27 Oct 2014, 18:37
kered wrote:Well that confirms my suspicion so, Golds & Silver only !

Explains why I could get them & "oldboy" couldn't.

Thank you all, good to see that BA look after their regular/loyal customers, I am pleased at least that we have managed to secure seats in the bubble.

oldboy
Last edited by honey lamb on 27 Oct 2014, 21:07, edited 1 time in total. Reason: EDITed to fix quotes
#886543 by Bretty
29 Oct 2014, 00:40
Slightly off topic, but for those seasoned BA CW travellers, and for my future reference, do you get jimjams in CW and if not is it considered acceptable to wear them?

Not that I'm considering defecting to the dark side, but you never know. I know they're guven out in F.
#886553 by marshy11
29 Oct 2014, 07:52
Oldboy, I am sure you will keep an eye, but BA have a habit of moving your seat requests.
#886555 by Sealink
29 Oct 2014, 08:11
kered wrote:Mmm interesting about the Front Cabin seats all showing as unavailable.

They are only offered if CW is full and then it's by status.
#886558 by PaulS
29 Oct 2014, 08:40
Bretty, I take on joggy bottoms and a T shirt if in club. Most people in my experience change. At 6'6" and 19st I don't do the pyjamas look on any airline as I find they are never big enough.

Old boy unless there is an aircraft change to a 777 you shouldn't experience any seat shifting. It's never happened to me yet but unfortunately because BA have so many variations of their aircraft if can happen.
#886559 by PaulS
29 Oct 2014, 08:40
Bretty, I take on joggy bottoms and a T shirt if in club. Most people in my experience change. At 6'6" and 19st I don't do the pyjamas look on any airline as I find they are never big enough.

Old boy unless there is an aircraft change to a 777 you shouldn't experience any seat shifting. It's never happened to me yet but unfortunately because BA have so many variations of their aircraft if can happen.
#886573 by oldboy
29 Oct 2014, 11:55
marshy11 wrote:Oldboy, I am sure you will keep an eye, but BA have a habit of moving your seat requests.

Many thanks for the tip Marshy

oldboy
#886598 by marshy11
29 Oct 2014, 16:35
#886609 by oldboy
29 Oct 2014, 17:32
PaulS wrote:Bretty, I take on joggy bottoms and a T shirt if in club. Most people in my experience change. At 6'6" and 19st I don't do the pyjamas look on any airline as I find they are never big enough.

Thank you PaulS, I hope you are right, some of the best business class flights I have ever experienced have been in the bubble of BA 747's 200's back in the days when there were two large seats side by side, all my long haul travel in recent years has been with Virgin, Air New Zealand & Singapore so really looking forward to trying out BA & terminal 5

Best regards

oldboy
Virgin Atlantic