#892256 by serenawell
11 Jan 2015, 13:32
My hobby is comping (entering lots of competitions) and last year I was very very lucky enough to win a Sky movies competition to this Oscars. Original prize was:

Pair of red carpet seats for the 87th Annual Academy Awards®, 2015
Return transfers from the winner’s home to London Heathrow Airport
Return flights to Los Angeles from London Heathrow
Return private transfers from the airport to the hotel
3 nights’ accommodation at the 4 star Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles
Full American Breakfast for two people in the hotel restaurant each morning
ESTA fees
Travel insurance

I didn't just want to go for that short time so we asked to extend the holiday (with us paying for extra hotels nights ect) which they happily agreed to.

So now we are flying out on 15/2 to Vegas spending a few days there before we make our way up to L.A on the Friday for the Oscars on the Sunday. We then fly home from L.A on the Wednesday.

Details of everything are just being sent - flights are B.A (AA flight to LAS) :0 My face must of been such a picture when hubby told me. :o) :D

It took me all of 5 mins to get a grip and remind myself how lucky and privileged I am to be going on this trip but I was genuinely sad that I wasn't flying with Virgin.
#892259 by hiljil
11 Jan 2015, 14:00
Firstly - congratulations on winning such a fantastic prize.

Secondly - somehow I know just what you mean about the disappointment.

But I am sure you will have a wonderful time overall. :D

As they say - Enjoy !!!!
#892270 by Hev60
11 Jan 2015, 15:59
BA or Virgin or American or United or whoever Airlines - I'd gladly swop with you anytime ;)

Enjoy your flight and wonderful trip, lucky you y)
#892272 by pjh
11 Jan 2015, 16:52
Excellent prize and evidence that people do actually win these competitions. Have the best of times when it rolls around in a few weeks.
#892303 by Bretty
11 Jan 2015, 20:43
Sorry about your BA disappointment, but well done on the competition prize. A couple of my friends went to the oscars a couple of years ago (the sister of one works in the film industry so they went as guests), and they had the most amazing time, said it was a real good night out. Enjoy y)
#892384 by serenawell
12 Jan 2015, 20:33
Thanks all x

Anyone got any ideas re: lounge ect.

Are B.A/AA more likely to do cash upgrades on the day.
#892387 by LovingGold
12 Jan 2015, 21:00
Well done on that. TBH I wasn't sure anyone did win these type of prizes. I did think they went to someone, close family etc of the organization running the comp!!!
I myself do have an issue flying anything more than 4 hours without it being VS metal, however, in this circumstance I would 100% "rough it" ;) ;)
Chance of a lifetime - Pack your VS wanting at home and enjoy I say.
#892389 by gumshoe
12 Jan 2015, 21:09
serenawell wrote:Anyone got any ideas re: lounge ect.

Are B.A/AA more likely to do cash upgrades on the day.

I can't think of an airline that wouldn't sell upgrades for cash on the day if there are still unsold seats. Whether they're a good deal or not is another matter ...
Virgin Atlantic