#893930 by Smid
30 Jan 2015, 13:06
Hamster wrote:Erm, I know Galleries aren't the best lounges in the world, but far far above the standard of a PP Lounge (IMO)!
There is a range of hot and cold self serve food in all the Galleries lounges at T5, it is in a different area to the snacks.

My experience is limited to Chicago Galleries and T5 North Galleries once. I ate in Chicago, but a look about the lounge and it wasn't obvious where the food was. Can domestic users get food? They seemed to be some sort of denial criteria going on in Chicago, I got the impression only those flying Club or First could use it.
#893946 by Hamster
30 Jan 2015, 16:59
Smid wrote:My experience is limited to Chicago Galleries and T5 North Galleries once. I ate in Chicago, but a look about the lounge and it wasn't obvious where the food was. Can domestic users get food? They seemed to be some sort of denial criteria going on in Chicago, I got the impression only those flying Club or First could use it.

Yes lounges outside of London often have a requirement of being in Club or First for dining, if it is even offered at all. But anyone with lounge access can eat in London.
#893992 by hiljil
31 Jan 2015, 14:41
Oh that was very funny ! And sadly, also not funny !!!!
#893995 by SNOMO
31 Jan 2015, 15:05
Any one answer a question, I've looked but can't find what/when constitutes Peak and Off Peak as regards using Avios to upgrade.
At present it costs me 10K one way to upgrade from WT+ to CW, after April it will cost me 20K Peak but 24K Off Peak ? Also will this depend on where you fly or when you fly ?|
#893996 by tontybear
31 Jan 2015, 15:22
SNOMO wrote:Any one answer a question, I've looked but can't find what/when constitutes Peak and Off Peak as regards using Avios to upgrade.
At present it costs me 10K one way to upgrade from WT+ to CW, after April it will cost me 20K Peak but 24K Off Peak ? Also will this depend on where you fly or when you fly ?|

In the FAQ on the BA web page there is a calendar that has the peak / off-peak dates here - click the lick at the end of the section 'changes to reward flight prices' as it comes up in a pop up box

BA have said (see the FAQ) that the peak / off-peak periods are the same globally. FAQs
#893998 by NYLON
31 Jan 2015, 15:35
SNOMO wrote:At present it costs me 10K one way to upgrade from WT+ to CW, after April it will cost me 20K Peak but 24K Off Peak ? Also will this depend on where you fly or when you fly ?|

That is quite strange. Looking at the chart for WT+ to CW upgrades, the mileage redemptions 'flip' for zones 5,6,7 & 8, where upgrading peak to peak costs fewer miles than upgrading off-peak to off-peak.

?|
#893999 by Hev60
31 Jan 2015, 15:47
As a person who only travels once or twice a year for pleasure, I have never been in a position to earn TP or lots of Avios points. Status is something which honestly doesn't bother me. I like to use my earned points/miles to upgrade or reduce my fares a bit.

I made a very silly move a few years ago and surrendered my VS AmExpress card in favour of a BA one ... Huge mistake. I accrued a far amount of avios points but when It came to redeem these, there wasn't the availability. After a year of wasted time with BA avios, I went back to VS last summer. By transferring other loyalty points into VS miles and buying some miles, I was able with total ease to book two G fares with Virgin. I've watched to see if BA ever came up with the same offer of west coast travelling but no dates have ever appeared. Full makes to Virgin and thumbs down to BA in every way possible.

Without a doubt, in my opinion the BA avios is a crap scheme. It doesn't matter how many numerous different routes are bookable because if there is no chance of upgrades or rewards on the popular routes, then it is a waste of time.
#894001 by gumshoe
31 Jan 2015, 15:57
SNOMO wrote:Any one answer a question, I've looked but can't find what/when constitutes Peak and Off Peak as regards using Avios to upgrade.

Headforpoints has a good analysis of the "enhancement" to WT+ to CW upgrades here: http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/01/31 ... than-peak/

As Raffles points out, for a BAEC silver it currently costs a net total of 888 Avios to upgrade an LHR to SFO return. After the changes, that'll rise to nearly 34,000 peak and 44,000 off-peak. Wow.
#894003 by David
31 Jan 2015, 16:04
Having been pretty heavily involved in the workings of another loyalty scheme for the past year (and literally watched its effects on our business very single day for the last year), I think BA have dramatically underestimated the influence of BAEC in their business.

Reading some of the many many pages about it on FT, the changes have badly affected many more customers than they might have realised.

It doesn't just seem to be a tier point issue but also a collection/redemption issue.

It's pretty fare to suggest that many of the differences between VS and BA are down to personal preference but I would also suggest that loyalty schemes will also make a difference in the future.

Let's just hope VS take note and don't do anything silly in response.

David.
#894005 by Silver Fox
31 Jan 2015, 16:39
SNOMO wrote:http://youtu.be/lLe5aKSYgjM

Says it all really !

They will like that on Fuhrertalk ! There have been a few spatettes and toys out the pram over there that's for sure. :)
#894010 by SNOMO
31 Jan 2015, 16:52
Thanks for the link Tonty, I now find I am flying Off Peak (February) so will pay more to upgrade with Avios for the privilege :?
This still does not mean I will return to the dreaded Air Canada and until VS fly to Montreal direct, I will just have to put up with it :(!
#894013 by tontybear
31 Jan 2015, 17:03
NYLON wrote:Why does FT get so, um, testy? Especially on the BAEC board, but also elsewhere...

Testy? That's putting it mildly !
#894014 by tontybear
31 Jan 2015, 17:12
SNOMO wrote:Thanks for the link Tonty, I now find I am flying Off Peak (February) so will pay more to upgrade with Avios for the privilege :?
This still does not mean I will return to the dreaded Air Canada and until VS fly to Montreal direct, I will just have to put up with it :(!

If you don't mind a bit of inconvenience AF,KL, LX and LH fly to Montreal

As an aside my first ever TATL was to Montreal on 1990 on Canadian Airlines International into Mirabel. Both now defunct. Any connection between that and my visit it purely coincidental!
#894017 by NYLON
31 Jan 2015, 17:39
tontybear wrote:Testy? That's putting it mildly !

Ha! I did try out a few other words, but I wanted to keep the, er, tone of v-flyer unsullied ;)
#894029 by Maximus
31 Jan 2015, 18:58
There are so many threads on FT regarding these changes, it would take weeks to read them all.

I am not sure the "enhancements" to BAEC will make a huge difference to me. I aim to save for 1-2 Avios redemptions a year (with 241) and 1 VS. I don't have enough leave for any more long-haul trips!

I liked the take I read somewhere else (in the Guardian I think): BA were giving away something for free, now they are giving away less of that something for free. What's all the fuss?
#894042 by Silver Fox
31 Jan 2015, 21:46
Because a ton of threads are usually dismissive of anyone that hasn't got a Gold card or higher, and hasn't flown F. Example includes, but is not limited to statements like this:

"Today I had my first taste of WT+. I'm usually in CW or F long haul...."
#894043 by gumshoe
31 Jan 2015, 22:14
Silver Fox wrote:Because a ton of threads are usually dismissive of anyone that hasn't got a Gold card or higher, and hasn't flown F. Example includes, but is not limited to statements like this:

Haha so true!

To be fair the vast majority of posters on FT are against the changes but there's a sizeable minority taking the "there'll be fewer riff raff in our lounge" line!
#894065 by at240
01 Feb 2015, 11:06
Silver Fox wrote:Because a ton of threads are usually dismissive of anyone that hasn't got a Gold card or higher, and hasn't flown F. Example includes, but is not limited to statements like this:

There is a hefty grain of truth in this. I once asked about Y travel to NYC and the discussion spiralled away into talking about Concorde and the Queen Mary 2.

Anyhow, back on topic, these changes to BAEC are pretty dispiriting.
#894225 by Smid
03 Feb 2015, 12:54
BTW, one of the ones which is really offending a few is the jump in cost from WT+ to Club upgrades.

I kind of subconciously noticed this a while back when first starting the BAEC, that was the reason why I was joining. It was HALF the price to upgrade from a SALE PE fare, than from VS. So I could get a SALE fare, then upgrade it for buttons. I might even earn back the avios cost of the return trip from the booking (especially if I had silver).

In the end the 2 for 1 ended up being the thing which I built up for.

But I can imagine with like the 250K miles I have in Virgin, it could upgrade A LOT of PE to Club flights. Whereas that will get me 5 return upgrades (with the organisation and upgradable fares, planning has to be done).

So, like the Silver bonus, this just seems to be a normalisation to costing closer to what the likes of a VS miles upgrade is (and I'm sure that's true to a bunch of other arlines). They used to have a REALLY good deal there, now its gone.

However, me paying 25%-50% more avios for my 2 for 1, means us having worked hard to get 2 for 1 club avios, when it was going to be 2 for 1 FIRST avios. Bit of a pisser there.
#894233 by Concorde RIP
03 Feb 2015, 15:52
One suggestion is to invoke the status match on Little Red (whilst it still exists).

As I'm due to fly to EDI in the near future, I may fly LR (for the first and probably last time), and should be able to get my BA status matched.

How do you actually go about doing that? Anyone know?
#894237 by CHill710
03 Feb 2015, 16:25
Concorde RIP wrote:One suggestion is to invoke the status match on Little Red (whilst it still exists).

As I'm due to fly to EDI in the near future, I may fly LR (for the first and probably last time), and should be able to get my BA status matched.

How do you actually go about doing that? Anyone know?

The crew onboard will have forms. Just take your BA card with you.
#894304 by Smid
04 Feb 2015, 11:05
Hamster wrote:Erm, I know Galleries aren't the best lounges in the world, but far far above the standard of a PP Lounge (IMO)!
There is a range of hot and cold self serve food in all the Galleries lounges at T5, it is in a different area to the snacks.

Just had a shufty at their guide...

It does seem to suffer if you dare being there before noon. Bacon sandwiches and what might be deemed continental breakfast. I've seen some PP lounges offer something similar to this.

I guess I'm definitely spoiled by the VS lounge giving lovely full english breakfasts, plus buffet, then onto a three course after noon. Sure there's genuine serve yourself buffet food after 12, but as someone who makes part of the holiday about coming to the lounge to luxuriate, I'm now looking to see what hotels offer breakfast due to my status because I will actively avoid brekkie here...

And might just pop by for lunch, but will be looking at the pubs/restaurants on the way for an alternative. And given the quality of post departure eatieries in the uk, that's pretty sad...
Virgin Atlantic