#897259 by Vegascrazy
01 Mar 2015, 21:14
Have BA recently up'd their baggage allowances? I'm sure last time I checked my Club World booking to Tampa it said 3 x 23 kg. Now it states 3 x 32kg. Hand luggage is now 2 x 23 kg!

Even in Club Europe to Rhodes later this year it's 2 x 32kg checked luggage and 2 x 23kg cabin allowance. The second item of hand luggage is designated laptop/ briefcase but they say up to 23kg!

Cheers
James
#897262 by Kraken
01 Mar 2015, 21:42
I don't know if they have upped the allowance - but it's certainly very generous. 3x32kg checked + 2x23kg cabin baggage for long-haul Club World.

You do have to wonder if they have heard of tablet computers / thin laptops like MacBook Air's. 23kg laptop bag - that would have been hard to achieve even 25-30yrs ago with some of the earlier "portable" laptops.
#897265 by Vegascrazy
01 Mar 2015, 21:52
That's what I thought! Even kids 2-11 get this allowance.

EDIT: I just checked a BA economy booking I've got (hand luggage only) and the allowance is 2 x 23kg!
#897283 by tontybear
02 Mar 2015, 01:01
BA used to explain the J allowances in a really clunky way.

You were entitled to (depending on the route) to 3 bags weighing 23KG but they would waiver the excess weight charges so you could have 32KG.

Caused me some consternation a couple of years ago so I checked with BA and they told me it was 32KG limit in J

If they are now saying the limit is 3*32KG then that's much simpler

It's also the same as VS UC !
#897303 by PaulS
02 Mar 2015, 09:42
If you are BA gold you get 4 x 32kg. On our families last trip (3 passengers) that would have given us 12 bags plus hand luggage. All a bit pointless unless you gave got a big van to collect your luggage when you arrive.
Last edited by PaulS on 02 Mar 2015, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
#897329 by gumshoe
02 Mar 2015, 13:29
23kg though? That's a pretty heavy case and many people would have trouble lifting it into an overhead locker.

If every BA passenger used their full 2x23kg hand baggage allocation surely there's no way it would all get on board. Even on airlines with far less generous allowances I'm sure we've all seen the pressure on locker space.
#897334 by NV43
02 Mar 2015, 14:18
PaulS wrote:If you are BA gold you get 4 x 32kg. On our families last trip (3 passengers) that would have given us 12 bags plus hand luggage. All a bit pointless unless you gave got a big van to collect your luggage when you arrive.

Don't forget that VS Au, also, provides for one additional checked item. The VS website states 'up to 23 kg' but we have never experienced a problem if this has been exceeded.

Transport to and from an airport is, usually, not a problem; it's internal flights that limit the luggage capacity e.g. most US internal flights set a limit at 50 lbs per case i.e. 22.6 kg and not a problem if your case is 23 kg but head above that because the VS check-in allowed an additional 1 kg overweight and you begin to run into problems with internal carriers determined to extract the maximum revenue from the customer; multiple cases begins to put you into a requirement for FC fares on internal flights.

Using AA domestic economy no-frills ticketing (main cabin) as an example; first bag US$ 25 second US$ 35, third US$ 150, overweight bag US$ 100 (> 50 lbs, < 70lbs / 32 kg, overweight bag US$ 200 (>70 lbs, < 100 lbs / 45 kg).

Multiply for a couple, and add in some children, and personal electronic baggage scales will be your friend. :$
#897337 by gumshoe
02 Mar 2015, 14:36
Incidentally I see BA will, from later this month, force anyone (including Au and Ag holders) who books a short haul Hand Baggage Only fare to pay if they want to choose their seat - even at check in. If you don't pay you'll have to accept the seat they give you at check in, no changes allowed.

General fury over on FT ...
#897340 by tontybear
02 Mar 2015, 14:48
gumshoe wrote:Incidentally I see BA will, from later this month, force anyone (including Au and Ag holders) who books a short haul Hand Baggage Only fare to pay if they want to choose their seat - even at check in. If you don't pay you'll have to accept the seat they give you at check in, no changes allowed.

General fury over on FT ...

ANY change - no matter how minor - with BA gets general fury on Flyer Talk! But a lot of people there want their cake and eat it.

Someone was complaining over the weekend how BA had ruined the old adverts (the one with the people moving to wink etc) because staff had recreated it for Comic Relief!

The HBO change are essentially what DL are doing with some of their lower priced restrictive fares - sit where you are told, no TPs / miles etc.
#897342 by PaulS
02 Mar 2015, 16:03
The major difference between this forum at FT is that even though it's a BA it's acceptable and the norm to be able to praise or critisce BA on tha forum whereas any critism of VS on here is immediately defended usually by referencing what's wrong with BA.
#897343 by Concorde RIP
02 Mar 2015, 16:16
PaulS wrote:The major difference between this forum at FT is that even though it's a BA it's acceptable and the norm to be able to praise or critisce BA on tha forum whereas any critism of VS on here is immediately defended usually by referencing what's wrong with BA.

With the very greatest of respect, and very much in my oppinion only, I think that's a little harsh.

If you had said "any (unsubstantiated) criticism of VS on here is immediately defended" then I'd probably agree.

You will have seen multiple instances on here of folk being encouraged to send feedback about less than stella experiences without any defense of VS...

Also, this forum was founded out of a common love of travelling with VS, so there is bound to be some emotional response on occasion.

As you probably know, I switch from flying predominantly with VS to BA some 2 or 3 years ago, but still find this forum to be one of the most polite, balanced and helpful of it's kind.

Just my oppinion though...
#897347 by Blacky1
02 Mar 2015, 16:29
PaulS wrote:The major difference between this forum at FT is that even though it's a BA it's acceptable and the norm to be able to praise or critisce BA on tha forum whereas any critism of VS on here is immediately defended usually by referencing what's wrong with BA.

Serious question paul ,Im looking at booking a trip to SFO in either CW /first or VS UC .
I know from your posts over the last 2 or so years that I've been on this forum that you had your troubles with VS and switched over to BA of whom now you are a strong supporter of , I've never set foot on a BA plane before but am curious to do so so what would be the advantages of choosing BA over VS for me in your opinion ?
#897349 by PaulS
02 Mar 2015, 17:01
BA two flights a days and are using A380 on this route (1 is 747 now but going to 380 twice daily) VS don't offer first so no comparison. But you would have the use of you first, spa, CCR and cabanas if required. Top quality Champagne and wines plus first suite very comfortable. In club world it's a personal choice but I prefer sitting straight and flying backwards. Certain seats allow aisle access but if you are not silver or gold you would have to pay to select these. Again good wines and I have always enjoyed the food. For me the galleries lounge you would get access to is more than adequate (I would get the gold / first lounge due to status) if the lounge and the drive through is your thing then you would probably enjoy VS, but as I always connect at LHR this dosent matter to me. I still believe that despite recent change the BAEC is still far better than the VS flying club. Again today I have booked 2 CE flights on the dates of my choosing

I am not suggesting that BA aren't without their faults, and once the lottery of the route and aircraft changes settles down (I don't fit on the A333) I will look to use the 320,000 air miles I have in my VS flying account. I would also consider revenue fares with VS if the price and route timings were better than BA's . I just don't see VS through the rose tinted spectacles that some posters see on here. I a not anti VS and Pro BA in fact if you check my profile I was one of the first members on this forum and attended the first get together at LHR in 2004. As Brit I am proud to fly both flag carriers and I just don't see why when VS fall short of the mark that people immediately have to try and rubbish BA.
#897350 by tontybear
02 Mar 2015, 17:09

I disagree.

You obviously haven't read the Flyer Talk posts where people complaining about BA have basically been accused of lying and exaggerating by the BA fan club. At times if verges on internet bullying and abuse.

For some no criticism appears to be allowed except for their own which is immediately reinforced by other posters in the clique.

And there are often 'well at least you're not flying VS' comments there as well - as though that makes everything magically all right. I've not seen any contra posts like that here.

Here we enjoy robust debate but abuse is not tolerated and we also have fun too which I think makes V-flyer a great board.
#897351 by PaulS
02 Mar 2015, 17:11
On a lighter note having read the HBO seat allocation thread on FT , I have to wonder if VS had bought A380 that they may have quite easily filled them. I have to admit there is quite a lot of discord over the latest enhancement, but again as I always need luggage it won't affect me.
#897354 by Concorde RIP
02 Mar 2015, 17:54
Blacky1 - I know you addressed the question directly to Paul, but if I may...

I too switched my (predominantly leisure travel mostly with my family) from VS to BA some 3 years ago.

My personal reasons were:

1) To gain Avios for my daughter's flights (no FC miles on VS for under 12's. VS will tell you that's because they get a "goodiebag instead, but you get one with BA as well, and it's better);

2) The opportunity to use upgrades into F;

3) The 2 for 1 voucher with the BA Amex which is far more usable than the VS companion voucher - I've used my 3 times for upgrades into F;

4) The much broader network and therefore ability to stick with one airline group and acrue benefits;

5) Consistency - With BA you kind of know what you're going to get, and I have never been disappointed. My own experience with VS was that it could be brilliant (way above BA) or verging on tragic (way below BA).

6) Club houses/lounges are a utility to me, they make time at an airport more pleasant and I look to minimise my time at an airport as far as possible. Therefore, the lure of the VS CH isn't strong for me.

These might not be the right reasons for everyone though - the debate about what is better, whether it be an airline, a J class seat, a meal - is so completely subjective that my reasons may not apply to your circumstance at all.

I will fly VS again one day I have no doubt, but my own circumstances meant that BA suits me better.

That said, I did open up the question of "What is loyalty all about" on another thread, as I am starting to think that I won't fly BA, I won't fly VS etc - I will fly the airline that happens to suit me best for reliability, route, fare and service offering at the time I want to travel. I haven't quite got there yet though!
#897357 by Blacky1
02 Mar 2015, 18:19
Concorde RIP wrote:Blacky1 - I know you addressed the question directly to Paul, but if I may...

I too switched my (predominantly leisure travel mostly with my family) from VS to BA some 3 years ago.

My personal reasons were:

1) To gain Avios for my daughter's flights (no FC miles on VS for under 12's. VS will tell you that's because they get a "goodiebag instead, but you get one with BA as well, and it's better);

2) The opportunity to use upgrades into F;

3) The 2 for 1 voucher with the BA Amex which is far more usable than the VS companion voucher - I've used my 3 times for upgrades into F;

4) The much broader network and therefore ability to stick with one airline group and acrue benefits;

5) Consistency - With BA you kind of know what you're going to get, and I have never been disappointed. My own experience with VS was that it could be brilliant (way above BA) or verging on tragic (way below BA).

6) Club houses/lounges are a utility to me, they make time at an airport more pleasant and I look to minimise my time at an airport as far as possible. Therefore, the lure of the VS CH isn't strong for me.

These might not be the right reasons for everyone though - the debate about what is better, whether it be an airline, a J class seat, a meal - is so completely subjective that my reasons may not apply to your circumstance at all.

I will fly VS again one day I have no doubt, but my own circumstances meant that BA suits me better.

That said, I did open up the question of "What is loyalty all about" on another thread, as I am starting to think that I won't fly BA, I won't fly VS etc - I will fly the airline that happens to suit me best for reliability, route, fare and service offering at the time I want to travel. I haven't quite got there yet though!

Thanks for taking the trouble to give me your views ,they are more than welcome ,
And thanks also paul for your detailed reply ,I'll let you know who I book with when I make a decision y)
#897365 by gumshoe
02 Mar 2015, 19:12
My view for what it's worth:

BA offers a good, consistent but - compared to VS - more bland and corporate product which suits its huge corporate (and demographically older) customer base. Its large and diverse route network is its biggest strength and things like family BAEC accounts, its website & IT, its wines and its Amex 241 vouchers are all superior to VS.

But as we have seen with the Avios changes in Jan and the HBO changes today it does seem to be constantly devaluing the BAEC to the detriment of occasional travellers. Its First Class is a very good product but not amazing and will probably disappoint those who've flown First with a middle east or far east carrier. Its lounges are very bland compared to VS's and it does lack "sparkle" although that's a very subjective thing and, as we know, VS does lack consistency in its on board service.

PaulS and I disagree on many things (!) but he's right that we're lucky to have two strong UK flag carriers - one aimed more at the business market, the other leisure. Competition between them is good for passengers but I fear they're both in danger of being eclipsed by the ME3, for whom money seems to be no object when it comes to investing in the product. And I would disagree that there's no criticism of VS on here: just look at the thread on hev60's recent woes regarding a time change (which luckily ended happily) for almost universal criticism of VS's customer service.
#897393 by honey lamb
02 Mar 2015, 22:37
gumshoe wrote:My view for what it's worth:

BA offers a good, consistent but - compared to VS - more bland and corporate product which suits its huge corporate (and demographically older) customer base. Its large and diverse route network is its biggest strength and things like family BAEC accounts, its website & IT, its wines and its Amex 241 vouchers are all superior to VS.

But as we have seen with the Avios changes in Jan and the HBO changes today it does seem to be constantly devaluing the BAEC to the detriment of occasional travellers. Its First Class is a very good product but not amazing and will probably disappoint those who've flown First with a middle east or far east carrier. Its lounges are very bland compared to VS's and it does lack "sparkle" although that's a very subjective thing and, as we know, VS does lack consistency in its on board service.

PaulS and I disagree on many things (!) but he's right that we're lucky to have two strong UK flag carriers - one aimed more at the business market, the other leisure. Competition between them is good for passengers but I fear they're both in danger of being eclipsed by the ME3, for whom money seems to be no object when it comes to investing in the product. And I would disagree that there's no criticism of VS on here: just look at the thread on hev60's recent woes regarding a time change (which luckily ended happily) for almost universal criticism of VS's customer service.

gumshoe, that is a good summation of the two carriers. Your description of BA would mirror my experience and "bland" would be the word I would use to describe it (Mind you I take umbrage at the "older" reference :P ) It's no secret that I haven't particularly enjoyed my recent sojourns on BA but, because the price is right, I'm willing to give them another go. If they had been goddamn awful, I would simply have ignored any inducements in the low fare category! ):

Having said that, I would agree that VS can let itself down spectacularly from time to time as some of our TRs would show and I, for one, would be the first to criticise it (or any airline) that did not come up to scratch and I have done so. I do not wear rose-tinted glasses when reporting on VS flights.

As for the ME3, I've flown four legs with Emirates and the variation between them is cruel! Much of it is bling and lacking substance and it really does depend if you are on the flagship services. DUB-DXB and DXB-DUR are not - and it shows. The cabins in J are cramped and the seats uncomfortable (although V-Flyers who have taken DXB-Australia in the 777 aircraft may well disagree). The food was good but the second service, meagre for the length of the flight. Having missed my connection from DUR at DXB, I was routed via LHR on the A380 and by comparison the service was excellent. One felt one was on a different airline. Having said that, their customer service was superlative when they agreed to fly my from LHR to my local airport (where they do not have a presence) rather than to DUB. y)
#897677 by Smid
05 Mar 2015, 09:21

I think this is actually nonsense, and not been the behaviour in any of the five years I've been here.

I quite liked VS at first, but had quite a few shitty UC flights with them, more for the service and staff onboard, which had improved recently but sounds as if its still there from recent trip. I've criticised VS on here for a number of times and its been taken as a sad degradation of service. I just plain won't fly PE anymore, lack exclusive upper deck, marked degradation of the drink and the the food service as well. VS had got worse, got better and is probably a little worse again.

I've switched to BA now, had a TP run in January. Some of the differences are striking and better. Others are just different. Galleries is no way a replacement for the Clubhouse, and how anyone can dismiss that is definitely in the area of unjustifiable bias, and silver doesn't get me into the better lounges (can you eat with status in the BA lounges?). I've not flown enough with them to have a bad BA flight yet, but I expect I will. Got two returns booked and considering a First in December, where I was previously considering a VS.

BAEC was significantly better than VS FC until recently. It might still be a little better for me (I don't fly shorthaul with LR or BA so no difference). What used to be great: 2 for 1 on a 100K flight (gone, now 125-150K). W to Club upgrades at a mere 12.5K leg (gone). Earning 100% mile on silver (gone). VS FC is as crappy as its always been, with PE priced Economy fares to upgrade to Upper. The last time I looked for a reward fare though, VS had a lot more to where I was considering going, so it does have some benefits. The difference is VS FC is still crappy, BAEC has become crappy.

The attitude of v-flyer has to never felt the need to defend such statements. Flyertalk, however, always has someone on there talking about the oiks in First Class nowadays, saying how recent changes are good cos they only fly Club Fully flexible and always seems to have mad bugger on there with an extreme view which disagrees with everyone else...

Only time I've seen anything like criticism on here was in response to a barely literate and argumentative troll, which this post is smelling a lot like...
Virgin Atlantic