#897358 by Darren Wheeler
02 Mar 2015, 18:27
BA are changing their rules for tickets that are Hand Baggage Only (HBO).

For bookings made from March 26 2015, BA will allocate your seat when check-in opens. You can change by paying at check-in or at time of purchase. It applies to levels in Executive Club from Blue right up to Gold.

In other words, buy a HBO fare, BA will seat you where they want unless you pay.

FT is not happy...
#897422 by Smid
03 Mar 2015, 09:31
BA just needs to buy FT now to quiet them all down.

Isn't that what they usually do to the people who get in their way?
#897424 by slinky09
03 Mar 2015, 09:41
Hopefully VS will see this as an opportunity to differentiate with higher service levels, not join a race to the bottom.
#897429 by Smid
03 Mar 2015, 10:43
HBO fares tend to be short haul though, don't they? Not an issue once LR is gone... Indeed, you got luggage in the hold in LR. Which was a nice change...
#897441 by tontybear
03 Mar 2015, 12:25
Smid wrote:BA just needs to buy FT now to quiet them all down.

Isn't that what they usually do to the people who get in their way?

LOL but they'll just form another website somewhere else.

Some of the language in the thread was getting ridiculous and hilarious including the word 'despicable' as though BA had killed their pet dog as well as 'the last straw' and 'slap in the face'

I hesitate to post the thread and I give it a public health warning on the contents

Mods feel free to delete the link if you think appropriate!
#897449 by Smid
03 Mar 2015, 12:59
Sadly, FT goes into some sort of dodgy intermittent routing problem where I can't read it from some places...

Been a few weeks since having done this, but its in this state now, so can't read it...
#897465 by PaulS
03 Mar 2015, 15:37
I am with BA on this although as a gold I should be outraged. I bought a one way HBO fare recently from LGW to ALC for £33 which included free seat selection (exit rows) check in at the first class desk, fast track security, lounge entry into the first class lounge where I could quaff JW blue label, quality champagnes or wines and various hot breakfast selections. I then enjoyed priority boarding and a two hours flight. Tremendous value for money. However here's BA'S problem. I like many other golds would have normally booked club Europe but due to the reduction in leg room I now book Euro Traveller a choose an exit row. On the flight above the cheapest non HBO fare was £10 more so in future I just book that and rake two bags at 32kg. Their biggest mistake was introducing these fares in the first place.
#897473 by ColOrd
03 Mar 2015, 16:56
Is there really such a big issue with HBO ticket holders selecting their own seats?

I am put off using BA for short haul trips now, I would prefer to use EasyJet and select my seat for a couple of quid than pay £15 to do it on BA!
#897476 by tontybear
03 Mar 2015, 17:19
ColOrd wrote:Is there really such a big issue with HBO ticket holders selecting their own seats?

I am put off using BA for short haul trips now, I would prefer to use EasyJet and select my seat for a couple of quid than pay £15 to do it on BA!

The issue for many on FT is that BA Golds, Silver and Bronze could select a seat for free when on a HBO fare.

They now have to pay so for some it does appear to be a big issue. It also means they can't get the prefered exit row seats etc as well. Under the new BA rules they get allocated a seat and tough (unless the pay)

What BA probably should have done is instituted this when the first started HBO fares rather than change it later.
#897480 by Silver Fox
03 Mar 2015, 18:17
From the FT thread it amazes me that they don't all fly NetJets with the sense of entitlement. But I will say that in isolation it does not seem much, but when as part of a larger package of "cuts", I fully understand the reaction. I await the Million Avios Miler march with anticipation.
#897490 by PaulS
03 Mar 2015, 18:58
Silver Fox wrote:From the FT thread it amazes me that they don't all fly NetJets with the sense of entitlement. But I will say that in isolation it does not seem much, but when as part of a larger package of "cuts", I fully understand the reaction. I await the Million Avios Miler march with anticipation.

Oh look ere thy are

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... GAQMygxMDE
#897504 by Silver Fox
03 Mar 2015, 20:25
I can now read the FT thread if I have it in my mind that it is "Hand Bags Only" from Disgusted of Suburbia. :)
Virgin Atlantic