#897811 by oldboy
06 Mar 2015, 09:48
Some assistance please, we are flying BA Club World to Vancouver next month & will be getting married as we cruise between Victoria BC & San Francisco & want to carry the wedding dress in a garment bag rather than attempt to pack in hold luggage. We haven't travelled BA for years & don't know what the situation is with this, VS allow a garment bag to be carried in UC but there is no reference to this on the BA site under baggage allowance. I have spoken to BA customer service dept & they have said absolutely no problem to carry a garment/wedding dress bag & that the crew will hang it in a wardrobe, like many on this site though I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to arranging my travel plans & like to be completely sure of situations.

Can anyone please confirm that we will be ok to carry a garment/wedding dress bag on board?

Sorry that the above is so long winded.

oldboy
#897813 by hiljil
06 Mar 2015, 10:15
I am sorry that I cannot answer your question but I just wanted to say what a beautiful venue to get married and to wish you not just a happy day but a lifetime of wonderful memories. :D
#897822 by TimCrawley
06 Mar 2015, 10:48
If you really want to do the 'belt & braces' approach there are boxes (including tissue paper) designed for taking on as hand luggage and would still be good enough for the hold if they took it off you ... The Wedding Box shop on Ebay for example. The risk with using a garment bag is that they might be pushed for space in the wardrobes meaning although you get it on board it gets a bit 'crammed in' with other coats, jackets etc.

All the very best for your wedding, sounds like a really brilliant plan that should give you both some amazing memories of the 'big day'.
#897824 by PaulS
06 Mar 2015, 10:58
I can confirm that it is normal practice on BA as it is on VS for the crew to hang jackets and coats in the wardrobes. I can't see a problem if th dress is in a s garment bag or boxed as Tim suggested. I have travelled numerous times with suits like this and never experienced a problem.
#897831 by oldboy
06 Mar 2015, 11:37
Many thanks to you all for your advice & good wishes. My first marriage to a wonderful lady sadly ended after 30 years when she passed away aged just 50, I consider myself exceptionally lucky to have met another wonderful lady. Our cruise takes in Vancouver, Victoria, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Catalina Island & Los Angeles (Long Beach), not a bad way to start our married life together.

oldboy
#897846 by marshy11
06 Mar 2015, 13:44
Oldboy, I want to add my congratulations and good wishes.
#897918 by SNOMO
07 Mar 2015, 00:15
When we got married I took my dress in a hang up garment bag and the crew hung it in the crew wardrobe as opposed to the overcrowded customers one on the condition I showed it to them first! It made it all the more exciting as my husband to be didnt know what I intended to wear so it became a bit if a joke secret throughout the flight with silly hints from members of the crew as to the color, style & length.
Have a wonderful time and many congratulations to you both.
#897946 by Maximus
07 Mar 2015, 12:05
oldboy, I am certain you will have no problems. The cabin crew will look after you- they will undoubtedly give you special attention once they discover you are getting married!

And many congratulations and best wishes for your future together :) Have a fantastic wedding and honeymoon.
#898064 by oldboy
08 Mar 2015, 18:24
Maximus wrote:oldboy, I am certain you will have no problems. The cabin crew will look after you- they will undoubtedly give you special attention once they discover you are getting married!

And many congratulations and best wishes for your future together :) Have a fantastic wedding and honeymoon.

Many thanks Maximus :)
#898065 by Jacki
08 Mar 2015, 18:53
Congratulations, couldn't agree more that it's a wonderful way to start your married life ^) ^) ^)
Virgin Atlantic