#899533 by DragonLady
28 Mar 2015, 09:42
If you you're not already aware ( massive thread on FT) many BAEC accounts have been hacked . The affected accounts are possibly linked to the use of Awardwallet ( or possibly not, but lots of those reporting losses seem to use it).
My account is OK ( I don't use Awardwallet as I'm fearful that if hacked a huge amount of info could be obtained) but I'd suggest anyone with a BAEC account checks their account and resets the password.
DL
#899534 by Silver Fox
28 Mar 2015, 10:28
Mine is all present and correct thanks. I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket either. Convenient I am sure, but an absolute dream for a thief.
#899536 by mitchja
28 Mar 2015, 10:56
Yep, mine is one of these. I also do (or did as I no longer) use AwardWallet.

You are also advised to change other account passwords too.

I received an automated email yesterday about this:

Dear Customer

British Airways has become aware of some unauthorised activity in relation to your Executive Club account.

This appears to have been the result of a third party using information obtained elsewhere on the internet, via an automated process, to try to gain access to your Executive Club account.

We understand this was login information relating to a different online service which you may have also used to access your Executive Club account.

We would like to reassure you that, although it does appear that the login attempt was successful, at this stage we are not aware of any access to any subsequent information pages within your account, including your flight history or payment card details.

We have now locked down your online account to protect it from further access. As part of the lock-down process we have also changed your password and you will need to reset it before you are able to use your account.

Please click here and follow the password reset process.

If you use the same login details for your Executive Club account as you do for your online accounts with any other organisations, we would also recommend that you change the passwords for these accounts, as well as exercising vigilance regarding any unusual or suspicious use of your personal data.

For a short period of time, as a precaution, we have also suspended the use of Avios on your account. We will let you know when this suspension period is over.

In the meantime, however, if you wish to spend your Avios please contact us via your local Executive Club service centre. We will be able to reactivate your account by asking you some additional security questions.

We are sorry for the concern and inconvenience this matter may have caused you and would like to reassure you that we are taking this incident seriously.

British Airways Executive Club team
#899537 by slinky09
28 Mar 2015, 10:57
Thanks DL. One of our household's accounts has been lightly touched! Onto BAEC to rectify.
#899538 by mitchja
28 Mar 2015, 11:06
If you balance has been zero'd and you see the following transaction as I now do:

27-Mar-15 27-Mar-15 Ex-Gratia - Manual Avios Adjustment

This just means BA have suspended your account pending invention, but your miles will be returned.
#899539 by Smid
28 Mar 2015, 12:05
I very much doubt this is a hack or phishing attempt. The email seems a stock one issued inferring its all our fault it happened.

We were supposed hacked for using same passwords on two sites, or clicking through a phishing email. Never done the former, and reports of the latter seems unlikely (definitely tales of savvy sysadmins not using same password, I'm a password reuser, but never used any third party site to access my BAEC account).

Most of these accounts have had their miles take by BA, as a preventitive measure. I think they've messed up their admin and locked out massive amounts of accounts and now its showing up. Has happened to mines.
Last edited by mitchja on 28 Mar 2015, 14:14, edited 1 time in total. Reason: removed bad language
#899540 by mitchja
28 Mar 2015, 12:07
AwardWallet are saying they are not the ones who where hacked (I've still deleted my account though)

Link
#899547 by tontybear
28 Mar 2015, 13:40
mitchja wrote:If you balance has been zero'd and you see the following transaction as I now do:

27-Mar-15 27-Mar-15 Ex-Gratia - Manual Avios Adjustment

This just means BA have suspended your account pending invention, but your miles will be returned.

And a totally incorrect use of ''ex gratia" as well!
#899605 by DragonLady
28 Mar 2015, 21:59
As an aside DB has attempted to move some flights today with
BA- long story short she's managed to do so despite the bebacle with BAEC... :0 ........so she has a few more days in Hawaii :)
DL
#899619 by Maximus
29 Mar 2015, 10:48
My account has been zeroed. Other household account has not.

My feeling is this is a security measure responding to a presumed threat, rather than a mass hack and emptying of Avios from BAEC accounts. I doubt it has anything to do with Award Wallet use tbh as many BAEC memebers who have never used AW have had their accounts zeroed. There are some reprted cases of recent hacking and loss of Avious on FT that I have read. There was also an issue with Tesco Clucard points being stolen from customers accounts in recents moths also.

I see no point contacting BA at present as I can see what is going on from the forums. I expect points will be returned this week.

I note when I log on to BAEC now I have to tick a box confirming I am not a robot :) Fortunately I have been programmed to tick this box to confirm I am not a robot, I am not a robot, I am not a robot, I am...

):
#899728 by mitchja
30 Mar 2015, 19:59
My BAEC account has just been re-activated here with my balance back to what it was before.
Virgin Atlantic