#902065 by clanger
28 Apr 2015, 13:44
Thought I might mention my experience as EX DUB short checking bags seems such a grey area..

Recently did DUB-SFO return with BA and on the way back had absolutely no issues with short checking our 3 bags to LHR. We had a 60 minute connection at LHR and had resigned ourselves (or so I thought) to taking the Dublin flights. However, at SFO check in the OH just blurted out:

Him: Can we collect our bags at LHR please?
Agent: I'm sure that's possible sir.
Agent: No problem, do you still want to take the Dublin flight?
I'm punching OH's leg at this point fearing a trick question!!! But also thinking, it really sounds like she doesn't mind either way...
Me: Errr yes, we have a very short connection again at heathrow, we've just had 3 days without our luggage in Vegas so don't want to lose it again, we would rather collect our bags at LHR, miss the connection and take a later flight.
Him: Yes of course, we will take the later flight.
Agent: Great then here's your boarding passes for dublin also, you can collect your bags at LHR.

So there you have it..I've been worrying about all that for ages. We may have just got a bit lucky there though. Also, just to clarify, I wasn't lying either when I said we had 3 days in Vegas without luggage. On the way out we had a 60 minute connection at LHR and a delay meant we missed our LHR-SFO flight. All BA flights were rammed so BA put us on LHR-LAX with AIR NEW ZEALAND and then LAX-LAS with Delta. Have to give it to BA that they did everything they could to get us to our destination on that day even though we were only ticket with them to SFO, we had Virgin America flights SFO-LAS which we were going to miss. We used the United lounge at LHR which was absolutely fantastic, put the old crappy galleries to shame and Air NZ...well, it was just like flying Virgin but, dare I say it...BETTER. Don't shoot me but it really was!!! It turns out it was an old Virgin plane that had had over 200 improvements I was told. Staff were effortlessly professional, friendly, couldn't do enough without being too much, food was the best I've ever had on a plane, I had 4 massive pillows and knew how to work the bed, the loo was immaculate the whole trip and had a lovely window in it with happy music playing, IFE worked a treat and had plenty of decent movies. Would gladly do that flight again. I was also told that Virgin wants to buy the plane back off Air NZ?! Could that be true?
#902109 by PaulS
28 Apr 2015, 18:28
To my knowledge VS have never operated any of the type of aircraft used by Air NZ . Their long haul fleet is made of of 767, 777 and dream liners which are too new to be second hand
#902134 by PaulS
28 Apr 2015, 22:44
Virgin Austrailia have 5 777 ( all under 6 1/2 yrs) which are all still in service with them. The only wide bodied aircraft they have disposed of are two A330's none of which Air NZ have none.
Virgin Atlantic