#916587 by AlanA
30 Jan 2016, 14:28
I was looking to book flights in UC for our annual trip to the USA in August school holidays (My son is at Grammer school and they do not look favourably to taking children out from term time, which I do agree with TBH)

So, chose some flexible dates around the 20th Aug out and the 3rd Sept back, in UC or Club World.
I was expecting prices to be a bit more than our normal time of going, which is end November, (£3k-5K for three adults) but...
VA direct LGW-MCO 3X UC, came to an eye watering £15,000!
OK, lets see BA at the same time. better, (Including Disney area villa) but.. £11, 172.
So, Try the Boomerang flights DUB-LGW-MCO. Curses, BA seemed to have cottoned onto this, that actually came out at £13,438 for same package

Ok, bite the bullet, Thomson from BHX -SAN, in their "premium" cabin, £5,982!!
Ouch.
BHX-DUB-MCO Via a gateway in USA £9,500

Back to Aer Lingus site, no return flights for our return weekend, all gone (this was Sept/Oct 15 looking to book)

One last try, from BA website, Country of origin Ireland.
Flight and car (have booked 4 bed villa separately now for £1,000)

DUB to MCO via a USA gateway.
Total price including car from Avis:-

€4950.00

Sweet!
separate flight with Aer Lingus, BHX-Dub on 19th Aug and back on 4th Sept . premium bags and booked seats £567.91 and one night in Premier Inn for £115 inc breakfast

So itinerary is

19th Aug
BHX-DUB Dep 19:55, Arr Dub 20:55 Airbus A320
Night in premier Inn
Breakfast (as DUB lounge I'm told is not really good for food)

20th Aug
DUB-PHL Dep DUB 11:20 Arr PHL 13:50 American code share with BA Airbus A330-200 Business class
PHL-MCO Dep PHL 15:50 Arr MCO 18:29 American First class Boeing 757-200

3rd Sept
MCO-ORD Dep MCO 13:59 Arr ORD 15:55 American First class Boeing 737-800
ORD-DUB Dep DUB 18:20 Arr DUB 07:55 American Code share with BA (originally B757, but now changed to) Airbus A330-200

4th Sept DUB-BHX Dep DUB 09:50, Arr BHX 11:05, Stobart Air/Aer Lingus ATR 72

Extra bonus is going through USA customs at Dublin Airport

Might sound like a faff, but Business for the price of Economy from Gatwick? with two hour journey down and back up from gatwick
#916604 by honey lamb
31 Jan 2016, 00:08
Nice one!

While you would be right about the breakfast offerings (and I think you will be using the DAA lounge which will only have cereal, if my memory serves me correctly), you will be departing from T2 and will have the advantage of Pre-clearance for your flight to PHL which means that it will arrive as a domestic flight so plenty of time to transfer.

Be aware though, that because of Pre-clearance, the flight becomes a domestic one so there is no duty-free on board. If you wish to purchase, then do so before you go down to Pre-clearance although there is a small duty-free shop after it but it really is rather basic. T2 in Dublin is very nice - but then I'm biased! :lol: