#935040 by Vegascrazy
08 May 2017, 10:54
I've done a few ex EU's over the years but never booked directly on BA.com. My dates for next April are not bookable yet on the likes of Expedia but are available to book on BA.com.

To my delight I was able to book LHR-LAS and back in Club World for £1250! The first sector (ex DUB) is in BA Club Europe. I was careful to ensure the last sector departs from London City so as to force luggage being checked only to LHR on the return. The identical flights without sectors 1 & 4 are £2600 on ba.com!
#935056 by Turquoise
08 May 2017, 18:53
This sounds great! I am trying to source flights to DXB just before Christmas and of course it is terribly expensive, whichever airline you look at! I want to look at doing an ex-DUB, BRU or AMS deal, but I really don't know how to do it! Do you have to list all of the flights when booking or just the ex-wherever ones? Do you include getting from LON to the positioning airport? I have tried to get prices but I am obviously doing something wrong!!!
#935065 by Bretty
08 May 2017, 20:27
Turquoise wrote:This sounds great! I am trying to source flights to DXB just before Christmas and of course it is terribly expensive, whichever airline you look at! I want to look at doing an ex-DUB, BRU or AMS deal, but I really don't know how to do it! Do you have to list all of the flights when booking or just the ex-wherever ones? Do you include getting from LON to the positioning airport? I have tried to get prices but I am obviously doing something wrong!!!

It's a very long thread (600+ posts) but the first few pages should give you plenty of tips on how to do what you want to do.
#935066 by Vegascrazy
08 May 2017, 20:28
Sealink wrote:I still can't find any great exEU deals... even checking for April 2018!

They are abundant from what I can see, just tried SFO for same dates: £2200 with no DUB but only £1480 with Dublin. Identical BA transatlantic flights.
#935068 by Vegascrazy
08 May 2017, 20:35
Turquoise wrote:This sounds great! I am trying to source flights to DXB just before Christmas and of course it is terribly expensive, whichever airline you look at! I want to look at doing an ex-DUB, BRU or AMS deal, but I really don't know how to do it! Do you have to list all of the flights when booking or just the ex-wherever ones? Do you include getting from LON to the positioning airport? I have tried to get prices but I am obviously doing something wrong!!!

Hi Turqoise, it really is as simple as inserting DUB instead of LHR in the search box, regardless of which site you're using (eb. BA, Expedia, Opodo, Ebookers). You need to ensure your last sector has an airport switch, eg. if flying into LHR make are you select your final flight to DUB from London City, or Gatwick, that forces the checkin agent to only check your bags to LHR on the return. You have to take the first sector (from DUB to LHR) so the only added cost is positioning out to DUB on a low cost airline.

Good luck!
#935083 by Bretty
09 May 2017, 16:17
Bretty wrote:

It's a very long thread (600+ posts) but the first few pages should give you plenty of tips on how to do what you want to do.

Yet again I fail miserably at multitasking. Apologies Turquoise, my post should have had this link for you:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=287783
#935342 by catsilversword
19 May 2017, 10:28
Quick question. I read a report somewhere about doing the ex-dub thing, the person went from London to Dublin one evening, and flew straight back - so far, so good, but his US-bound flight didn't leave London until the following day. Can you break the journey overnight like that and still get the savings?
#935345 by mitchja
19 May 2017, 11:12
Yes, you can break up an ex-DUB trip like that. I've done it with BA/VS last year when I flew to BOS.

I got myself to DUB then the BA flight from DUB to LHR was later that evening and the VS flight from LHR was the following day.

The BA check-in agent at DUB still asked me if I wanted my bag checking all the way to BOS though, which I didn't think they could do with an over-night lay-over?

Cannot see any reason why it would be any different even if all the flights are BA.
#935349 by TimCrawley
19 May 2017, 11:29
Mitcha (James) is quite right but one thing you do have to watch is the APD (Air Passenger Duty) which will show up in the prices you get.

Part of the ex-EU savings come from airlines wanting to pull in connecting traffic but a second part is the savings on APD (which on business class travel can be huge). If your outbound connecting flights within the UK are scheduled more than 24 hours apart the UK APD becomes due.

So on a DUB-LHR-JFK, for example, the APD due on the whole journey is based on Irish APD and no UK APD is payable providing the time difference between the scheduled arrival time of the DUB-LHR leg and the scheduled departure time of the LHR-JFK leg is less than 24 hours (if it is more than 24 hours then BOTH the Irish APD and the UK APD are payable - flight delays and involuntary rescheduling don't cause you to suddenly have to pay the extra APD).
#935351 by mitchja
19 May 2017, 11:52
You would have to book the journey to DUB yourself separately because if you included the UK>DUB bit in the main booking that will probably cancel out the ex-DUB savings.

To get the savings you need to start your main flight segments outside the UK.

You can get to/from DUB from most UK airports using either EI or FR for <£100 (just remember checked luggage charges though, especially on FR!!)

If you get it right you can get your final flight to DUB departing from a different UK airport (usually LGW) so you can then easily just drop that final leg off and finish your main flight segments at LHR.
#935353 by catsilversword
19 May 2017, 12:55
That makes more sense and was what I had thought.

We did do an ex-eu a couple of years ago, from Brussels. It worked fine (except for the tube issues when we got home one, but that's another story!). I hadn't realised at the time about making sure the final segment departed from a different airport to the one you arrived, but I've read about that a few times on hear and it makes perfect sense. As well as pretty much getting rid of that niggle about either getting your bags short-checked or travelling back with just cabin bags.

Just been looking at flights to PHX next March/April ex Dub - and they're looking good for CW.... shame it's BA, but can't have everything...
#935461 by Smid
24 May 2017, 13:08
About £1148 via Philly on AA ex Dub, through preclearance (clarence) to LAS.

I did it a couple of years ago, hard to get a good sleep going on the way back between PHL and DUB, bit too short...

Thus I've been hoping to find a decent fare via LHR...
#935480 by honey lamb
24 May 2017, 22:01
TimCrawley wrote:based on Irish APD

It was abolished in 2014. :D
#935489 by TimCrawley
25 May 2017, 03:10
It was abolished in 2014.

Quite right Honey Lamb, the luck of the Irish !

Was just trying to illustrate the difference on whose APD fees got charged under what circumstances but I should have remembered to put the very generous €0 fees in brackets afterwards to contrast with the £loads of the UK fees ....
#935504 by Smid
25 May 2017, 12:15
Sealink wrote:My ex INV trip ended up costing £963 in J with BA/AA

Confirmed but haven't received ticket numbers yet so everything crossed!

Can you tell us the dates. I looked at ex-INV and got nothing interesting from there...
Virgin Atlantic