#17213 by McCoy
14 Jan 2007, 15:56
Since acquiring access to BMI lounges, courtesy of Amex Plat, I almost exclusively use bmi now for domestic UK travel. The lounges are far more pleasant than BA Terraces, and in my experience very quiet indeed.

I've only used EDI and LHRT1, but both are big, quiet and comfortable, with enough of a range of drinks to keep me happy. They lack a decent food offering - only biscuits - but are otherwise quite splendid.

Anyone have a different experience, or is this one of the best kept secrets of UK domestic business travel?!
#154659 by mitchja
14 Jan 2007, 16:17
Manchester T3 BMI lounge is also quite good and very handy for the departure gates, although there's no washrooms actually in the lounge and you have to walk half way round the terminal to get to one. There arn't even any in the Au section of the lounge either like there are at EDI [:w]

Still would like to see more food in all BMI lounges though and of course free Wifi.

Regards
#154661 by McCoy
14 Jan 2007, 16:40
Yeah, if I'm hungry at EDI, I'll go to the Servisair lounge instead - they usually have a good selection of yoghurts, cakes, bread rolls, cheese, etc.. but it can get a bit busier in there.
#154756 by Speedbird223
15 Jan 2007, 01:12
I'd say they are on par with the BA lounges....the T1 international lounge had a 6ft fridge filled with just Cobra beer the last time I used it!

I hope they've stopped using 2 litre bottles of fizzy drink and a jar of biscuits though. That was a naff thing to do...
#154782 by slinky09
15 Jan 2007, 08:57
Originally posted by McCoy

Since acquiring access to BMI lounges, courtesy of Amex Plat, I almost exclusively use bmi now for domestic UK travel. The lounges are far more pleasant than BA Terraces, and in my experience very quiet indeed.

I've only used EDI and LHRT1, but both are big, quiet and comfortable, with enough of a range of drinks to keep me happy. They lack a decent food offering - only biscuits - but are otherwise quite splendid.

Anyone have a different experience, or is this one of the best kept secrets of UK domestic business travel?!

Definitely concur with that, in fact IMO the very worst lounge in the world is BA terraces at T1 - it's not alounge it's a terminal and there is no where to get any peace and quiet!
#154907 by Speedbird223
15 Jan 2007, 19:21
Originally posted by slinky09
Definitely concur with that, in fact IMO the very worst lounge in the world is BA terraces at T1 - it's not alounge it's a terminal and there is no where to get any peace and quiet!

It can get very busy but for some reason I think BA's premium passengers must suffer from vertigo as the Mezzanine level in the international lounge rarely has anyone up there.
#157563 by mitchja
29 Jan 2007, 21:18
Sorry but I just have to say this...

Thanks to Richard I've now discovered the Au section of the BD lounge in domestic T1 at LHR (the lounge upstairs).

I've must have used this lounge at least a dozen times over the last few years and until yesterday I never even knew the upstairs Au section existed!!! [:w] [:I]

It has never been mentioned by any of the lounge staff there either.

The BD lounge at MAN in T3 is very different as a member of staff even came over to me on Sat morning and pointed out that I could use the Au section there. I have always known about this in the MAN lounge and the only reason why I didnt use it was because there's no smoking in the Au section at MAN.

Regards
#157570 by McCoy
29 Jan 2007, 21:44
Okay James... but tell us mortals what the 'upstairs' was like? Was there anthing going on to be envious of..??!
#157573 by mitchja
29 Jan 2007, 21:55
Basically bigger snacks (and more choice as well). Not as busy either.

Having to swipe your Au card to get in is also kinda' cool too [:I] [:w]

Regards
#157575 by HighFlyer
29 Jan 2007, 22:01
I was going to reply with 'Bourbon's instead of Custard Creams' ... but James beat me to it :)

Thanks,
Sarah
#157583 by McCoy
29 Jan 2007, 22:21
Originally posted by HighFlyer
I was going to reply with 'Bourbon's instead of Custard Creams'

:D I prefer custard creams.. so I guess I'll happily stay downstairs.
#157698 by Scorpio
30 Jan 2007, 13:40

Having to swipe your Au card to get in is also kinda' cool too [:I] [:w]

Regards

Yes especially if you swipe it the right way to get in![:o)]
Virgin Atlantic