#18537 by slinky09
28 Mar 2007, 11:31
There's an interesting article in The Times today, here, speculating that BA is lining up to bid for BMI if SMB decides to retire and sell his stake,

The article suggests that LH might not exercise their option because they want to takeover Alitalia or Iberia ... looks like one of the shake downs of the recent open skies agreement may be a wave of consolidation. The article reports that because of open skies, potential competition increases and therefore BA may face less restriction on taking over BMI.
#165199 by Pete
28 Mar 2007, 13:23
If BA did take over bmi, it would face some serious challenges over its control of slots at LHR, and that (surely?) is the only real reason BA would be interested in buying them?

For Virgin, at least, they have interest in both the slots *and* the European feeder network - and as they've already stated an intention to start US flights from mainland Europe (Paris, Amsterdam, etc) once Open Skies comes in, that makes the bmi connecting routes around Europe even more attractive.

P.
#165205 by Scrooge
28 Mar 2007, 13:35
I would think that the government would have to take a long hard look at this deal, it would give BA (off the top of my head) control of 58% of the slot's at LHR.I could see LH buying BD before Alitalia, again if only to turn around and sell the slots.

BD hass gone from a dead horse to a prize winner over night, I just wish they would go back to being the airline they were 10 years ago.