#177275 by mike-smashing
10 Jul 2007, 00:20
Nice one for BMI. They were looking so shaky, when they went from decent full service airline to the hollowed out hulk of themselves we were left with around 2003. I'm glad to see that they have turned the corner and are looking to build the business. I also wonder if the baby ops will eventually be spun back in?

I hope their new strategy pays off, and that they don't cut any corners in the spec of their new aircraft or the product - in-seat IFE, laptop power throughout, proper medium-haul biz class seating, even on the A321, and nicely configured aircraft (such as no toilet doors opening in your face). Aim for the market who doesn't want the lowest common denominator of U2 or FR, because I'm certain one exists.

The 4-5 hour sectors particularly have been neglected by BA (and some other European incumbent airlines), offering the basic short-haul Club Europe product, in little more than a Y seat, with a small tweak here and there. 4-5 hours is enough time to either take nap, or get some serious work done, and if people are willing to pay the money for J seats, they should get the space and service to facilitate that.

BMI used to put on a great show back in the late 90s, if you ask me. Nice clean planes and a very high standard of onboard service. They were distinctive from BA, and proud to be different. Fingers crossed they've got that sparkle back.

Mike