#23722 by karnsculpture
21 Mar 2008, 11:58
Hi,

I booked flights with BMI from MME to LHR to connect with a VS flight. Yesterday I got an email telling me that the BMI flight has had a schedule change and will arrive in LHR 3 hours later. This makes things really tight to make the VS flight. BMI included a helpline number in the email but nobody appears to be answering at all! I called the main BMI number who said they can not help and I am just sent round the 'phone system back to the same line that nobody appears to be picking up [:(]

Tried rebooking online but BMI charge £80 per person per leg to change flights, which is way OTT when the original cost of tickets +taxes was way below that. Called VS for advice who said I should persevere with the BMI Schedule Change helpline. VS did say if I check in online with them I can do the transfer OK, probably, but I just think it's a little too dicy and would rather get an earlier flight to LHR, or last resort the train.

Looked into cancellation with BMI and then rebooking a new ticket but this would work out more expensive as the earlier flight must be a popular one.

What happens to your taxes and APD if you cancel with BMI? I know I would not get a refund for the original ticket price I paid, but what about the taxes for a flight I won't be on?
#203511 by Darren Wheeler
21 Mar 2008, 12:52
on the tax front, if you cancel the flight, you should get all taxes back, down to the last penny. If they start saying you don't (out-sourcing), point out that not to is illegal and you'll report them to HMRC.
#203512 by karnsculpture
21 Mar 2008, 13:01
After 2 hours on hold someone answered and cut me off. Same thing happened yesterday. Lost patience so cancelled the original booking, claiming tax back, and booked new flight (earlier departure). Looks like I will be £25 down as BMI have an "administration charge". Oh well, at least I'll have lots more time in the CH. :)
#203523 by honey lamb
21 Mar 2008, 14:36
i think I'd also be writing a rather nasty letter to bmi about this.
#203531 by Strawberry Muppet
21 Mar 2008, 15:11
You should have spoken to the bmi scheduling department - when I was rescheduled on a bmi flight to depart 3 hours earlier than booked I insisted on being re-booked onto another carrier. If that is not possible for you then you should be entitled to a full refund without paying any cancellation fees. They would also be able to re-book you on an alternative bmi flight free of charge.
#203535 by karnsculpture
21 Mar 2008, 16:17
The main problem is it seems impossible to get through to anyone! You can talk to a BMI call centre but they could not help with the rebooking due to schedule change and put me through to the right team... who did not answer/was left on hold before having the call cut off. I did also get a UK direct line number (non 0870) but by calling that you end up on the same line...

Venting over. I'll book through Virgin again next time and avoid the problem. At least VS were sympathetic, and advised me as far as they could.
Virgin Atlantic