#255050 by easygoingeezer
01 Jul 2008, 15:15
Hi there, after having the train ride from hell back up from the big city this weekend, basically people in First being told to sit on the floor or come back the next day[:0].

My trip to MIA in December was to be me getting the train in 1st to Paddington, staying at the Hilton and then HEX to LHR, I have no inclination to give Nat Express my money now and have seen flights from Leeds to Heathrow for 49, so this would be cheaper and then I would HEX to Paddington the day before and HEX back the next day for my flight ( booked a suite at Hilton and paid already ).

Could you nice people give me a clue as to how easy or indeed difficult it is to get from T1 to the Terminal where the HEX is?

Are my plans a good option.
#447175 by Neil
01 Jul 2008, 15:23
HEX goes into Heathrow Central which is located below T1/2/3, so it is fairly simple. This site has some good info and directions/instructions etc.

Neil
#447176 by easygoingeezer
01 Jul 2008, 15:27
Originally posted by Neil
HEX goes into Heathrow Central which is located below T1/2/3, so it is fairly simple. This site has some good info and directions/instructions etc.

Neil

Really appreciate that thank you very much[oo]
#447177 by Strawberry Muppet
01 Jul 2008, 15:28
There will be signs for the HEX in the arrivals hall but it's very simple. Just take one of the lifts down to the HEX level. Then it's aprrox a 500 yard walk to the HEX platforms. That's only the annoying thing about getting the HEX from T1, the distance from lift to platform. But still very easy.
#447178 by mitchja
01 Jul 2008, 15:28
The HEX is way over-priced IMHO.

Although it takes a little longer, it's far far cheaper to jump on the tube to get into London.

Regards
#447180 by Strawberry Muppet
01 Jul 2008, 15:43
Go to heathrowexpress.com. Enter Promo code AMEX and save 20% on all tickets. Valid until 31st August 2008. Book before that date and you have 6 months to collect your tickets at the station so you can use the discount in December.
#447182 by easygoingeezer
01 Jul 2008, 15:51
Originally posted by Strawberry Muppet
Go to heathrowexpress.com. Enter Promo code AMEX and save 20% on all tickets. Valid until 31st August 2008. Book before that date and you have 6 months to collect your tickets at the station so you can use the discount in December.

Its not what you know, lol.....cheers for that.[^]
#447183 by mdvipond
01 Jul 2008, 15:57
Quick word of warning if you're thinking of doing LBA-LHR with BD prior to a long haul flight - you only get 20Kg baggage allowance in Economy. This usually cocks things up for us, to be honest, which is why we end up connecting from MAN instead (32Kg with BA).
#447185 by easygoingeezer
01 Jul 2008, 16:35
We normally travel with a case each weighing in at about 18Kg's so we should be fine, it was something that concerned me, but also we have a flight booked from Key West to MCO half way through the trip so already have to take it easy on weight.
#447187 by mdvipond
01 Jul 2008, 17:18
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
We normally travel with a case each weighing in at about 18Kg's so we should be fine, it was something that concerned me, but also we have a flight booked from Key West to MCO half way through the trip so already have to take it easy on weight.

Sir, I take my hat off to you. Even before the inclusion of mdvipond jr. on our trips I always struggled to keep my cases the right side of 30Kg. And what about duty free?!?
#447188 by mitchja
01 Jul 2008, 17:28
I think in reality BMI have the same policy as BA, in that as long as you prove your are connecting to/from an international flight, they will honor the other airlines baggage policy if it's more than 23Kg and within reason.

BA do state this on thier web site as the standard allowance for all BA domestic flights is still 1 x 23Kg per pax, BMI dont mention it.

Regards
#447191 by Strawberry Muppet
01 Jul 2008, 17:33
Forgot to add, at present all bmi domestic arrivals will continue to use the separate UK & Ireland arrivals which is on the same level as bmi departures. There are two sets of lifts on this level. Don't take the lifts adjacent to the bmi ticket desk as these don't serve HEX platforms. Take the lifts to the right of the bmi check-in kiosks.

mdvipond made a good point about luggage allowances. Unfortunately, since last year, BA's baggage allowance has decreased to one bag at 23kg on domestic BA services. There is, however, a grace period until November whereby 32kg will still be accepted free of charge, after that it's a flat £25 fee for excess baggage. The good thing about bmi, although their luggage allowance is 3kg less, is that you can check-in a minimum 2 pieces on bmi flights. For pax with status obviously you get an extra allowance. [:)]
#447193 by mdvipond
01 Jul 2008, 17:43
As Mr Strawb so rightly points out, it's a free allowance of 32Kg with BA until November, then £25 for the pleasure thereafter (which is still probably worth it). There's nothing I can see on the BD site about cases over 20Kg, except that their excess baggage charge is 7 quid a kilo.

It would be great if us Northern (God's Own County Brigade) Types could use LBA for connecting to LHR flights more easily rather than having to drag our arses over to the wrong side of the Pennines, but we just couldn't live with a 20 kilo limit on most of our trips.
#447194 by northernhenry
01 Jul 2008, 17:44
Just returned SFO-LHR in PE then BMI'd up to LBA

Virgin @ SFO checked the bags through to LBA (Result! we too were worried about the weight),
however LHR managed to completly miss the transfer and we had to log the bags missing at LBA. The BMI rep was grumbling that Virgin shouldn't of checked them through from SFO as not a 'interconnecting booking' (why NOT! thought you were partners?)

The cases did arrive later on the next flight but an annoying trip back to airport..

Please advise best post place for this..

Cosmic Girl (747)- Front row (bulkhead) of the middle 4 - end 'UK Driver's side' PE seat has faulty V-Port and floppy screen (needed separate DVD player) - (sorry can't remember the seat number)
#447196 by clarkeysntfc
01 Jul 2008, 17:56
Would that be seat 32G?
#447220 by jilly
01 Jul 2008, 19:53
Egg, I use the East Coast Mainline all the time and if booking in advance I always get a seat allocation. More often than not I don't use it and just take up the first available seat but it is there if I need it. I'd hazzard a guess that you were travelling north on a Sunday afternoon which is always busy, if your plans for December are mid-week I'd doubt you'd have a problem.

Travelling from Leeds you could always just make sure it's a train that originates from there rather than a busy one from Aberdeen or Inverness. Might help solve your problem too.

You may have only 18kgs outbound but after all those designer purchases in MCO you may find your Gucci bags a little heavier on the return.

Jilly
#447226 by easygoingeezer
01 Jul 2008, 20:23
Originally posted by jilly
Egg, I use the East Coast Mainline all the time and if booking in advance I always get a seat allocation. More often than not I don't use it and just take up the first available seat but it is there if I need it. I'd hazzard a guess that you were travelling north on a Sunday afternoon which is always busy, if your plans for December are mid-week I'd doubt you'd have a problem.

Travelling from Leeds you could always just make sure it's a train that originates from there rather than a busy one from Aberdeen or Inverness. Might help solve your problem too.

You may have only 18kgs outbound but after all those designer purchases in MCO you may find your Gucci bags a little heavier on the return.

Jilly

My trip is from heathrow to miami, limo to Key West, flight up to Orlando then out of orlando to Manchester so I intend to be taking a good bit of Gucci Mont Blanc and Bose home with me[}:)]
#447273 by slinky09
02 Jul 2008, 07:19
My trip is from heathrow to miami, limo to Key West, flight up to Orlando then out of orlando to Manchester so I intend to be taking a good bit of Gucci Mont Blanc and Bose home with me[}:)]

Mr Customs and Excise lurker on the board now on the trail of EGG [}:)][}:)].
#447414 by easygoingeezer
02 Jul 2008, 22:25
Booked two tickets from LBA for £105 in total will take one hour five mins to get down there, then I will get the HEX to the Hilton then straight back to T3 next morning.

Really appreciate your advice as ever....cheers.
#447444 by jilly
03 Jul 2008, 03:14

So not surprised [y]

Forgot you were coming back to MAN though, not much shopping in the Keys but sure you'll make up for it in once you get to Orlando.

Jilly
#447469 by Scorpio
03 Jul 2008, 12:03
BMI`s policy is that they will check in bags to final destination as long as the whole ticketing journey is issued on the one ticket.If your journey is not on the one ticket then in theory check in agents will not or are not supposed to check in the luggage all the way through to your final destination despite the fact part of the journey is with a partner airline so just watch out for this.
#447698 by easygoingeezer
04 Jul 2008, 23:32
Originally posted by Scorpio
BMI`s policy is that they will check in bags to final destination as long as the whole ticketing journey is issued on the one ticket.If your journey is not on the one ticket then in theory check in agents will not or are not supposed to check in the luggage all the way through to your final destination despite the fact part of the journey is with a partner airline so just watch out for this.

given I am flying down the day before my flight to MIA and staying at the Paddington Hilton overnight I am hoping they will give me my bags back in arrivals.
#447700 by honey lamb
04 Jul 2008, 23:36
Originally posted by Scorpio

given I am flying down the day before my flight to MIA and staying at the Paddington Hilton overnight I am hoping they will give me my bags back in arrivals.

Just check it through to LHR
Virgin Atlantic