#255664 by Mr Farenheight
21 Aug 2008, 10:56
Need some advice from anyone with a similar experience to mine - I'm trying to book two return reward seats in First with United Airlines, using my Diamond Club Destinations Miles.
The seats are showing as available on seatcounter.com, from United and on ANA's site, but Diamond Club's booking people say that there are no seats showing as available in their system.
It's frustrating knowing that there are seats but BMI are adamant that there aren't.
Anybody got any suggestions as to what to do?
#451186 by Nottingham Nick
21 Aug 2008, 11:05
I have never done it myself, but it would appear that there is a real art to booking flights with other airlines through BMI, using their miles.

This huge thread on Flyertalk, gives lots of tips, pitfalls and first hand stories of how to minimise the frustration, and combat the mis-information given by BMI agents.

Nick
#451197 by Mr Farenheight
21 Aug 2008, 12:11
It's true to say that some the call centre staff at BMI Diamond Club really don't seem to have a clue what they're doing at all.
I actually just phoned them back to see if they could put in a request for seats as I knew for a fact they were available - the person I spoke to when I called originally had stated in no uncertain terms that there were no Reward seats available at all - without even seeming to check - and told me that I had to book at least 9 months in advance and then tried to sell me flights, with BMI to LAS!
So when I called a second time, mightly PO'd, with the certain knowledge that there WERE seats available, the next person told me that there suddenly were seats available, but I couldn't book them as the flight I wanted - LHR-LAX with UA- was actually a connecting flight to LAS and there were no seats available from LAX-LAS. I suggested just getting off at LAX, but this was impossible, apparently.
Anyway, after much arguing and me pointing out how ridiculous that sounded, I was suddenly told that I could book the seats after all.
So, after a 45 minute call, I have managed to get 2 First Class return seats, LHR-LAX flying out on Dec 18 for two weeks, total cost £1,080 for taxes, 1 x Miles only and 1 x Miles + Cash flight. Phew!
It just goes to show that you can't take NO as an answer from BMI - if seats are showing up elsewhere, they may eventually show up in their system if you are persistant!
I have had similar experiences booking reward seats on SQ with Diamond Club, so this whole experience didn't come as a complete surprise.
BTW, anybody got any experience of F on a transatlantic UA trip? It wouldn't have been my first choice, but I didn't have enough miles for VS UC and Air NZ were showing absolutely no availability in Y, J or F- ever!