#256742 by Scrooge
29 Oct 2008, 15:54
Originally posted by slinky09
So while unlikely, there was always a chance for VS before or after or to have struck a deal with LH - mind you, at this price, to gain a reported 800m worth of slots, LH would have been mad to refuse.

VS offers to merge with LH !

Virgin Atlantic has proposed combining its operations with Lufthansa to create a European super-carrier following the German national airline's 400 million (318 million) acquisition of Britain's bmi.

Lufthansa now owns 80 per cent of bmi, the former British Midland, and is expected to make a bid for the remaining 20 per cent, which is owned by Scandinavian Airlines (SAS). SAS has put both the stake and itself up for sale.

Virgin Atlantic, the airline owned by Sir Richard Branson, today responded to the purchase of bmi by offering to combine its own operations with Lufthansa's in a partnership that would create Europe's dominant airline.

A tie-up with Virgin would allow the German carrier to use the better-known Virgin brand to expand internationally and at Heathrow in particular.

lifted from A'net..looking for a link now

Got it LINK
#458455 by GrahamN
29 Oct 2008, 16:07
ooh - now its getting more interesting!

G.
#458458 by slinky09
29 Oct 2008, 16:09
Originally posted by Scrooge
VS offers to merge with LH !

Virgin Atlantic has proposed combining its operations with Lufthansa ...

Ha ha ha ha ha, fell of my chair laughing. That's like the little minnow looking up at the big cat licking its lips saying, 'please'. Much as I love flying on Virgin, I've no great admiration for the corporate strategy ...

What if LH buys SQ's 49% of VS ... Steve Ridgeway would then be begging instead of just saying please.
#458486 by Bazz
29 Oct 2008, 17:11
Sorry guys, I split this off to make a new topic and then saw Dave had already started a fresh topic in the GD forum so I tried to re-merge it with the original BMI topic but all I get is a server error message, perhaps Pete can oblige?
#458490 by Scrooge
29 Oct 2008, 17:18
Originally posted by Bazz
Sorry guys, I split this off to make a new topic and then saw Dave had already started a fresh topic in the GD forum so I tried to re-merge it with the original BMI topic but all I get is a server error message, perhaps Pete can oblige?

Oh bugger......

Ok, tell you what, this one is locked down and we will continue in the main forum, the BMI thread stands by itself.
#458504 by Bazz
29 Oct 2008, 18:26
That's fine Dave, I did post this in News Bites but when I spotted your's in GD and I couldn't re-merge this and the original, I thought I would move it back to the BMI forum out of courtesy to you, Slinky and Graham.
Virgin Atlantic