#259454 by Sealink
05 Jun 2009, 01:34
The topic title is possibly a bit cruel, but based on having taken NO flights with them in years, bmi have:

- upgraded me to Blue+ status - so free on board drinks and snacks
- provided me with 3000 bonus miles.

And now have offered me this...

A bmi credit card from MBNA, which offers:
- 24,000 bmi miles with your first 250 spend.
- 3,000 status miles annually to help you achieve a higher membership status.
- triple miles when you use your card to book a flight on our website

On the downside
- annual fee is 60
- APR is an eye watering 27.1%

Even so, 60 would get me two return flights to Moscow or one return business class flight.

It's not that I dislike bmi - just every single time I have attempted to fly with them, they have either had awful flight times (last flight Glasgow to Heathrow on a Saturday for example is at about 1540hrs) or had been double or triple BA's price.

I don't think bmi can survive as they are. A confused airline, that doesn't know if it's a low cost carrier or a full service airline, a vague name which means nothing and a shareholder (LH) who are being threatened with legal action to buy the rest of the airline from SMB. Add to that their loss of 100m (which, for the size of them, makes BA's 400m and FR's 138m losses seem almost reasonable).

I'm interested to hear what other people think.
#717027 by LiamRugby
05 Jun 2009, 09:27
Anyone know how BMI miles can be used with virgin - can you swap them 1 for 1 and use them for miles upgrades etc or can they only be used for econ reward flights??

The free credit card gives you 20k miles.. A nice earner if they could be transfered..
#717035 by preiffer
05 Jun 2009, 10:25
Can't be transferred or used for upgrades, but can be used to book any class of return flight with VS from bmi's call centre directly.
#717102 by Vegascrazy
05 Jun 2009, 18:09
quote:Originally posted by preiffer
Can't be transferred or used for upgrades, but can be used to book any class of return flight with VS from bmi's call centre directly.

Paul, if I have 40,500 BMI 'destination miles' does this translate to the same number of Virgin miles? In other words could I phone the BMI call centre and ask to book a VS economy L class fare and use 30,000 miles to upgrade? Of course BMI would need visibility of G bucket availability but, from what you say, they must have?

Cheers
James
#717104 by mitchja
05 Jun 2009, 18:25
James

You will only be able to use bmi miles to book an out-right reward seat on VS.

The minimum number of bmi miles required for a VS flight is 45,000 which will get you a return economy VS reward flight to BOS, JFK, EWR or IAD.

You can't use other airlines miles to upgrade VS revenue fares.

Regards
Virgin Atlantic