#261962 by Bazz
18 Jan 2010, 18:53
...This from an email today:

quote:From 27 January all our UK and Ireland flights to and from London Heathrow will be operated on single cabin Economy only aircraft.

At the same time, we're introducing new Flexible Economy fares intended to give you full value for money without compromising on the comfort and flexibility you expect with bmi. When travelling on Flexible Economy fares you'll benefit from an enhanced service. You'll be seated at the front of the plane, receive complimentary inflight food and drink, as well as lounge access and 200% Diamond Club miles.

Complimentary refreshments for Diamond Club Gold, Silver and Blue Plus members will unfortunately no longer be offered, unless you're travelling on a Flexible Economy fare.

Note the last paragraph!
#734703 by slinky09
18 Jan 2010, 18:58
Very odd, how will they police that if given lounge entry? Will they apply the same to *A premiers ...

Oh, and do you get a TP on flexible econ. with BD? If not that means no TP runs in the UK anymore.
#734707 by Sealink
18 Jan 2010, 19:17
bmi is one seriously confused airline...
#734708 by mitchja
18 Jan 2010, 19:23
quote:Originally posted by slinky09

Oh, and do you get a TP on flexible econ. with BD? If not that means no TP runs in the UK anymore.

Yes I think you should still earn VS TP's. The fare changes only apply to the very few remaining domestic routes that offered business class (LHR>EDI for example).

Most other BD domestic routes have only been offering discounted or flexible economy fares only for some time now.

The food thing makes me laugh though, 'eat in the lounge before you fly'. I'd hardly call a bag of crisps or a biscuit a meal!!!

Regards
#734710 by Jacki
18 Jan 2010, 19:26
Well put Billy!
#734721 by HighFlyer
18 Jan 2010, 20:21
Interesting. I missed this email so thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Sarah
#734914 by mjwoodrow
20 Jan 2010, 20:27
Is it time for Virgin to link up with another UK domestic airline ? (hopefully one which will open up their lounges to Au Card holders - regardless of the fare category) [}:)]
#734917 by tontybear
20 Jan 2010, 20:45
quote:Originally posted by mjwoodrow
Is it time for Virgin to link up with another UK domestic airline ? (hopefully one which will open up their lounges to Au Card holders - regardless of the fare category) [}:)]

But is there an airline (other than BMI) that provides a 'full service' to a range of regional destinations across the UK and that has lounges?
#734929 by tontybear
20 Jan 2010, 23:27
quote:Originally posted by napamatt
BA

er somehow I don't think VS and BA will ever do a link up as envisaged by mjwoodrow and given the thread was about BMI
#734932 by daywalker
21 Jan 2010, 01:11
quote:Originally posted by tontybear
BA

er somehow I don't think VS and BA will ever do a link up as envisaged by mjwoodrow and given the thread was about BMI

Maybe not but the answer to your question was a fair one and answered it accurately and correctly. You didn't say the answer had to be from an airline VS would be likely to do a deal with[:p]
#734939 by slinky09
21 Jan 2010, 08:41
quote:Originally posted by tontybear
BA

But don't BA and VS link up in some ways already ... others are more knowledgeable but I've seen BA engineers on VS flights (last week at SFO for example), you can purchase BA short haul tickets to add to itineraries from VS, and I'm sure there are other co-operative activities ...
#734943 by David
21 Jan 2010, 09:20
They used to have an interline agreement but that stopped a few years ago, and not surprisingly, I would have thought BA would have taken any money thrown at them at the moment [:w]

David
#734959 by Howard Long
21 Jan 2010, 15:33
There used to be a number of reasons for flying BMI. I am now struggling to think of any.

Over time their service has degraded further and further.

They switched from a full meal service with real crockery to picnic boxes in J under the BS that it was 'healthier'.

They removed J from almost all EU shorthaul. I never booked another BMI EU short haul ticket since, I switched to BA or LH instead.

Now there is no J domestic, there is no reason for me to choose BMI over BA unless I am desparate for a tier point or two on *A or VS.

Cheers, Howard
#734973 by MarkedMan
21 Jan 2010, 17:11
I would think LH might have been interested in helping BMI go through a similar transformation Swiss has undergone in the last four years, but perhaps BMI is hampered by lack of a proper hub operation like Zurich, though I can't for the life of me think why this would make such a difference. Maybe it's just bad timing that BMI is where it is during a difficult recession for the industry, while LH took over Swiss during more favorable times and was willing to bankroll a remarkable transformation for that airline. I would love for BMI to have the kind of reach and network across Europe that Swiss has in ZRH or LH have in Frankfurt and Munich.
Virgin Atlantic