#13007 by RedVee
24 May 2006, 22:30
The Daught is really keen on going here during our SoCal trip, and she really is the roller coaster queen (unlike me[:$]].

Two questions really - is it as good as the hype and any pointers to make the best of the visit. To give an idea of what she likes, Busch Gardens @ Tampa is her favourite park overall for roller coasters.

Regards

Pat
#119555 by Kraken
24 May 2006, 22:53
I have always found Six Flags parks to be at the lower end of the scale. They seem to take great delight in having bizarre "rules" (i.e. stand within 1 metre of the "gates" in the station of a rollercoaster, you get shouted at to stand back). Also, it's far from uncommon for Six Flags to run one train on a rollercoaster [when they have 3 trains for it] - only when the queue hits a stupid length will they think about adding a second train.

That said, Six Flags Magic Mountain (which is where I assume you were thinking of visiting when in CA) is a nice park. Sure, it's run in the normal SixFlags way, so expect some "jobsworth" staff & a few queues that could be shorter. The ride to do as early as possible in the day is X, as the queues for that get very long, very fast. After you have done X, enjoy the rest of the park - Tatsu, the "new for 2006" flying coaster is supposed to be excellent too.
#119602 by Tinkerbelle
25 May 2006, 00:55
Originally posted by Kraken
After you have done X, enjoy the rest of the park - Tatsu, the "new for 2006" flying coaster is supposed to be excellent too.

It is[^]

And it had three trains running so only a 10 minute queue[^]
#119629 by alanjones
25 May 2006, 09:31
Six Flags Magic Mountain is no where near as good as Universal, Busch Gardens, Disney, etc. as far as a theme park is concerned. Organisation and staff there just don't even come close to what the other parks have to offer, and just doesn't have the same 'feel' as the others. Having said that, the rides are excellent :D We went last June, and rode just about every coaster in the park, and loved every minute of it :D Queues can get a bit long as the ride attendants don't seem to have a clue what they are doing half the time, and end up sending cars around half empty rather than filling rows up with single riders etc. Which is another tip, be on the look out for single rider lines. Several coasters have them, like Deja Vu, but they are very easy to miss, so keep an eye out if you don't need to ride sat together.

Go to Six Flags expecting some great rides (if you like Coasters, its got very little else), but don't go expecting a great theme park, because it just doesn't even come close to Busch, Universal and Disney. Also, if your going during June the place seems to get swamped by school trips, which makes line cutting inevitable, and the staff really don't seem to care one bit [:(]
#119819 by RedVee
26 May 2006, 17:20
Thanks everyone for the replies - and yes I did mean Magic Mountain. Certainly some food for thought, I generally hate theme parks but can recognise where things are done really well - almost all of the Florida parks I've been to have been excellent as have several European parks. For me it needs to be something better than good rollercoasters - and if this is lacking I might work on the Daught to go somewhere else!

Thanks again

Pat
#148153 by stoneman
18 Nov 2006, 10:27
I think Six Flags is Awsome, so much so, that the wife and I drove from Las Vegas to get there for 9am. spent the day, then drove back again, a total of 10 hours driving!!! One thing you do have to watch out for is the LA gangs,they hang around there alot, they won't bother you, but just don't stare too long at them.
#148521 by Scrooge
21 Nov 2006, 01:43
Originally posted by stoneman
I think Six Flags is Awsome, so much so, that the wife and I drove from Las Vegas to get there for 9am. spent the day, then drove back again, a total of 10 hours driving!!! One thing you do have to watch out for is the LA gangs,they hang around there alot, they won't bother you, but just don't stare too long at them.

[y][^][oo] ok...well if we still had the RR system you would get my vote just for that.
Virgin Atlantic