#13111 by David
31 May 2006, 02:17
As promised, here are a few of my thoughts on the DVC properties we have stayed in. I wont go into the nuts and bolts of how it works, only to say that it seems to be one of the most sought after timeshare programs in the world - probably because its one of the most flexible. We have had trips that lasted around 4 days to around 14 during most months in the year.

The Villas at Wilderness Lodge - Our first and favourite resort. Bought into DVC because we used to stay at WL and seen the Villas being built. This is probably one of the smallest DVC resorts but is, in our view, the best. Close to Magic Kingdom (around 6 mins by boat), and beautifully themed. We have stayed there 6 or 7 times and hope to be back before the end of the year.

Old Key West - The first of DVC's properties and used to be the biggest, but now surpassed by Saratoga. Being the first, the rooms are huge, with the studios being around 40% bigger than everywhere else and the one bedroom and above being around 35% bigger. Stayed here twice, but not overly convinced. Although its the oldest, its just undergone an update inside which keeps it looking great, but it just seems to be a little to spread out for us and unless you are into golf, its not really within a walkable distance from much.

The Villas at Beach Club - Only been here once, but a great location, right next to Epcot. Everything was very new when we went and actually convinced me to part with cash for some more points. The pool is a big draw for some.

Saratoga Springs - Been twice here (including this one) and is definately growing on us. It's going to be huge when finished (actually huge just now but only on phase 2 of 4) This seems to be a resort that you either love or hate - seems to provoke the most reactions amongst DVC'ers but wonder if this is more of a size thing - reading between the lines I think it is more that fact that it seems to be bringing more and more people into DVC and that, for "some" people is spoiling the whole system. Saratoga is literally across the lake from Downtown Disney and is probably no more that a 10 min lesurely stroll away. Its also great for the shopaholics in that it's probably around a 5 min drive from Premium Outlets.

And of course, because its the newest, there is barely a thread out of place. (its very easy to walk to Pleasure Island and not have to worry about how you will get home ;))

Boardwalk Villas - will be there in 4 days time for the first time, but again location is the big winner being a short stroll from both Epcot and MGM.

Hope this helps, will be interested to hear other views (spidey etc).

Thanks

David
#120393 by FV75
31 May 2006, 11:54
David, thanks for the detail.

I have just returned from Orlando and looked at the DVC at Saratoga Springs. Really in 2 minds as to join or not. Would you recommend it? I can see positives and negatives.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Kevin
#120405 by Nevil30
31 May 2006, 12:51
David,

Good info on the DVC properties, very useful and gives a good idea of the positives and negatives of each one [^]. We have stayed in a one bedroom villa at the Boardwalk and were very impressed.

Regards
Nevil
#120415 by David
31 May 2006, 13:36
Originally posted by Nevil30
We have stayed in a one bedroom villa at the Boardwalk and were very impressed.

Regards
Nevil

That's exactly where we are going to on Sunday (it's supposed to be a prefered view but it would be asking to much to be over the Boardwalk)

Any tips ?

thanks

David
#120416 by David
31 May 2006, 13:53
Originally posted by FV75
David, thanks for the detail.

I have just returned from Orlando and looked at the DVC at Saratoga Springs. Really in 2 minds as to join or not. Would you recommend it? I can see positives and negatives.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Kevin

The easy answer, Kevin, is that it will suit some and not others ;)

We bought in around 5 years ago and reckon that even counting the annual dues, we have had around $15000 worth of holidays for virtually nothing ... because at the moment, our points are worth pretty much what we paid for them on the resale market. Of course there will be a time when this drops as it gets closer to 2042 (i think) but by them who knows what will have happened.

You have to remember that you are getting 5 star accomodation in the heart of Disney (althought you can book at hundreds of other resorts) and this makes the initial outlay a bit more than your average Spanish timeshare, but let me say that DVC is nothing like your average timeshare.

It has let us stay in accomodation that we had never dreamed about (took friends to Wilderness Lodge and stayed in a 2 bedroom villa that was around $850 a night [:w] if we had not used points)

You can also bank and borrow points so it is not necessarly an every year thing although it's kinda turned into a twice and somethings thrice a year thing for us. There are so many ways to stretch out your points by going at the quieter times, staying away from weekends etc or just staying in a studio if there is just 2 of you.

The other thing we have noticed over the past few visits is that there have been many trips when we have never been near parks or only popped in for a meal (annual passes help) so you needn't have a Mickey Mouse overload. It's sometimes just great to sit and the pool and watch life go by.

Like many other members the only downside is that we all wished we had joined years ago. I think we paid around $74 for the first points we bought, it was around $55 when it started and it's now going up to $101 in July.

One other minor glitch is that your annual dues are due in Jan. Not a good time to have to fork out a large chunk of money ;)

Hope this has helped, any other questions fire away.

David
#120419 by FV75
31 May 2006, 14:50
Thanks David.

One question, is there a 'Get Out' option? I know you can sell your points, but in a worst case scenario can you just say to DVC, "You've had my money upfront and XXX amount of annual dues, but I've had enough now" Or are you committed to the full 48 years (In the case of Saratoga Springs)of anual dues once you have signed on the dotted line.

Kevin
#120425 by David
31 May 2006, 15:03
Originally posted by FV75
Thanks David.

One question, is there a 'Get Out' option? I know you can sell your points, but in a worst case scenario can you just say to DVC, "You've had my money upfront and XXX amount of annual dues, but I've had enough now" Or are you committed to the full 48 years (In the case of Saratoga Springs)of anual dues once you have signed on the dotted line.

Kevin

You can sell your points at any time, and if you look at some of the resalers there are piles of Saratoga points which can only have been bought a max of 2 or 3 years ago.

When you sell your points you have no more annual dues to pay. If you sell your points just after paying your dues, you will find they will be worth more.

Your annual dues (for UK members) are paid once per year in advance in Jan. I think US members can pay their dues monthly.

Hope this helps

David

ps i can give you my guides number who is the most laid back salesman you have ever met. He will call you whenever you want (even on a mobile) and can chat for as long as you have any questions. I keep winding him up that he has the best job in the world. Selling something that 95% of the people he is talking to, wants to buy ;)
#120438 by FV75
31 May 2006, 16:18
Thanks David. Just FYI I was told at my sales meeting that you can now go online and pay your dues monthly. Might be worth looking into if that works better for you.
#120492 by Nevil30
31 May 2006, 22:10
David,

We had a preferred view of the carpark [V] (some nice cars though!!). We tried to get the boardwalk view but was told it would be an additional fee and we were already paying $450 per night (that was five years ago!!). We have stayed at the boardwalk several times since but only standard rooms, always dreamed of returning to the good old Villa's.

I would definately try for the boardwalk view we were jealous to see people out on balconies relaxing but also soaking up the atmosphere. We were there around February time and there was plenty going on, there is a good pizza bar on the boardwalk for that late evening pizza slice necessity. [:p]

Good Luck and hope it is not a let down in comparison to Saratoga Springs.

Keep us posted

Regards
Nevil
#120533 by David
01 Jun 2006, 02:39
Thanks Nevil,

We may have a chance of getting a boardwalk view as we will probably be checking in around 9.00 in the morning. For the extra points, it better not be a view of cars [V] see enough of these every day in life ;)

This is a small point where the system for UK members falls down. If you check in when you arrive in the US - after 4.00pm you get what is left. There are many members that will stay the first night in a hotel so they can check in first thing to get the best views[:w]

It would be nice to be sitting on the balcony watching the world go by on the Boardwalk. Will keep you up to date.

thanks

David
#120588 by Spidey
01 Jun 2006, 13:28
We bought a resale in 1997 for $52 a point. It had a lot of banked points as well. Over the years we have had holidays that we couldn't normally afford. The accommadation is fantastic and it is hard to choose between the different resorts. Our home resort is OKW and we love the space in the apartments and outside. I love coming back and getting away from all the madness of the parks. We have stayed in all the other resorts, apart from SS resort. Even though the other resorts are themed really well, I do not like the hotel feel about them. I like parking my car outside the front door and not walking through miles of corridors to get to my room. I think it is fantastic that we can stay in any resort and being near the parks on busy days is plus for the other resorts. I didn't care much for Vero beach and thought it let the other resorts down.

We have had a BW view and it was great, but we didn't really end up sitting on the balcony much.

We have used our points for a cruise, DLP twice, and now using them for SFO hotel and Las vegas hotel.

We are looking forward to years of holidays. We have found that now we can only go every other year. So having the points means we can go on other holidays.

We even took friends one year and the loved it so much they bought. We have taken family and plan to do so again.
#120601 by David
01 Jun 2006, 13:57
Hi Spidey

Great price for your points. I have to keep pinching myself sometimes, because you start to forget how lucky you really are having this option for holidays [:I]

I think a cruise is getting to the top of the list for the future.

thanks

David
#120918 by g7dyd
02 Jun 2006, 23:50
Hi David,
We just got back from our latest DVC trip. Flew out on April 30th and had 5 nights in a one bedroom at Saratoga. It was our first time there and we really enjoyed it, like all the DVC resorts it has it's own character and as you mentioned great location for Downtown Disney. Our unit overlooked a small wooded area next to the footpath to Downtown so we were really pleased with it. After this we drove down to Vero Beach. Had to take the Turnpike due to the fires and had an Ocean view Inn room there and again really liked it. Only stayed there one night as we were on the 7 day Western Cruise on the Disney Magic (thats another story..!!) After the cruise we had 5 nights at the Boardwalk in a Studio. We had a Boardwalk view and if I'm not mistaken I think you need to specify this at the time of booking or you just get a pool or garden view, anyway we have never had a bad room at any DVC resort and in my opinion it's the best money we ever spent.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Mick.
#120922 by David
03 Jun 2006, 00:47
Wow, some trip Mick. You must have used a bucket load of points for that one. Would love to hear about your cruise.

Just need to tempt the other half first. She's not too keen on boats.

David
#121751 by Nevil30
08 Jun 2006, 17:03
Hi David,

How was the boardwalk, good view in the end [?]

Regards
Nevil
#121989 by David
09 Jun 2006, 23:48
Hi Nevil

Got a great room, overlooking the Swan and Dolphin (+ canal to MGM) which was in excellent condition.

It was 1002 which was some trek away from check in but worth the walk. Boardwalk has gone up the wanted list :)

Have tried to upload a photo so you should hopefully see the view, just a ps - visited about 4 or 5 Disney propertys and the maintainence that was going on was incredible. There was painters, joiners and builders everywhere, which is good news for anyone eith points.

David
#122142 by Nevil30
11 Jun 2006, 21:28
Hi David,

Pleased you had a nice view [^]how did it compare to Saratoga Spings?

Regards
Nevil
#151580 by 2Tinks
17 Dec 2006, 19:33
Glad you enjoyed it David! BWV is our home resort (we also bought a resale 2 years ago). I recently sent my parents in a preferred view studio and they too looked over the pool toward the Swan/Dolphin. We've yet to stay there ourselves but we have stayed at OKW (2 bed) and BCV (1 bed). DVC has been a great investment for us and it'll be even better as our kids get older and we would need 2 rooms at a deluxe. Got to love those discounted AP's too, we go 3 or 4 times a year now.......off to The Poly for 18 nights over Christmas! :D
#151593 by David
17 Dec 2006, 21:02
Hi 2Tinks

Just booked to go back on the 7th - think that means we will miss each other?

At this late stage, it was Saratoga in a one bedroom again. Must look at some more points now the dollar rate is so good;)

David
Virgin Atlantic