#16052 by Ianflies
04 Nov 2006, 14:45
Had done this tour 5 years ago, but enjoyed it so much, and alot of time had passed we thought we would do it again. It is a 5 hour walking tour of MK behind the scenes, up and downstairs.

We were all provided with headseats and ear peices so no secrets would inadvertantly be given away, spoiling the magic for others, and you had to be over 16 to go on this tour. We started in Main Street with our guide pointing out names above the shops of those who originally help build the park (it appears to laymen to be perhaps proprietors of the shops, but to people in the know it was those who helped fund or buid it) and at the end of main street on the right corner of the shop facing the castle, rather poignantly is Walt's name, so he always faced the castle that he never saw completed. You could here the passion in our guides voice and could tell she was well versed up on all that is Disney, and her heart was certainly in it. Only last year, Walts young lawyer had died and a new window was put in his honour, oblivious to the public, but to those in the know, a fitting tribute to his contribution.

We went on the Jungle Cruise ride, on a boat of our own sneaking in the front of a 40 minute wait. She was our boat guide and we were told all the tricks, not the standard script that they have to learn, where the boat is on tracks, the driver just controls the speed.

Soon we went to Splash and just before there is a gate which we went through, over a line, and now we were 'Off Stage' which is the only place people can drop character and no public eyes are allowed. This is where they housed the parade floats. We even saw un-costumed dancers rehearsing the Christmas parade (strange in late October!) to the music (Jingle Bells...) - having seen that parade at Christmas it was surreal to see it uncostumed, naked as it where! Skaters and the dwarves (one little man, Dopey, we were told, at the end, running around, in character but out of costume, with the dreaded dance mistress chastising him when his put a step wrong - perfectionsists they are at Disney!)

It was interesting to see them restoring elpephants, and other animatronics that had broke, the floats bear without people on them, the mechanics visible and showing etc. We were told about the rubbish off stage which is vacuumed and whisked away to a recycling plant which is hand sorted (yuk!) to ensure all that can be recycled is. Some of the things that have been found don't bear repeating!

Then to the haunted house the back way, where as a 'Magical Moment' we were allowed to open the doors for the next set of 'guests' in the queue - Booooh! we all shouted to their fright! It was a bit of fun and we all got a certificate to show we shared in the Year of a Million Dreams. We got told a few secrets about this ride and how it is different from the DisneyLand in CA. There you do go down a floor before entering the ride itself, but here, because of the utilidors (downstairs staff corridors spreading the width of the park) it couldn't so it is an illusion you go down a floor. The roof moves up rather than the floor moving down.

After a nice lunch we were taken to a parking lot behind main street which lead to the mysterious downstairs world of Dinsey, where the staff hang out, costumes are made and cast members move from one end of the park to another without being seen - you can't have Brer Bear appearing in Mian street now, can you? We saw some rare and unique photo's of Walt, Roy and family, the building of WDW, the plans behind it and some beautiful paintings etc. An eye opener indeed, seeing Woody without his head on and Peter Pan eating a packet of crisps, where we were told he married Donald Duck(it is usually a lady who plays Donald because of height).

Some of the questions asked included:

Any plans for a 5th theme park? Before 9/11 probably, but now they need to revitalise the existing ones. MGM is losing guests and they are thinking of bringing in a new parade, and EPCOT celebrates its 30th year next year so that will form part of a new celebration. Also in plan is a new parade for MK, long overdue. All money will be spent on this. Off all the acreage WDW own, only 1/3 is built upon, 1/3 will never be built upon (conservation), so they have still have huge potential to develop, but not in todays climate.

Any prestige in who plays who? Not really, apart from televised appearances, and those performers who sing, such as Beauty and the Beast in MGM. Height usually goes on who plays who.

What training do the characters get? They each have a script to learn and background in depth about their character,how they act, mannerisms and history so if a kid runs up to Alice and asks where she was brought up, she would know it is Oxfordshire etc. Princes have to go to Princes school and so Princesses to Princesses school to learn etiquette and how to act, wave, smile and receive intense training. It's not all that easy!

Are characters allowed to say anything? Those without proper faces - no. Exceptionally if a kid tries to pull of a head or piece of costume they can whisper a comment, but they will get reprimanded or sacked if the break character. Some of them have earpieces in their heads so if in a parade or show or waving good bye, they can do the arm gestures or head movements in time with words/music.

When do they rehearse for shows? At night when parks are closed, for full dress rehearsals, they do it as live. Usually they can practise out back, off stage, but for the full works where they need the space, it has to be out of hours. (I can agree with that, staying at the Grand Floridian with a MK/Castle view, about midnight, way after the park had closed and not a late night opening, I heard all sorts going on - that would explain it!). After the tour on another day by Splash, I could hear the Xmas parade going on, Off stage, which was a mistake, As the park was quieter being off peak, less noise disguised this rehearsal, and for those not in the know, I saw some strange looks!

I am sure there were plenty more, but these are the ones I remember. All in all the 5 hours went so quick in this group of 12. We had a funny, informative, knowledgeable, passionate and at times emotional guide who told us all we wanted to know about the secrets of MK. We also got a commerative pin, not available to purchase. A highly recommended tour to do, leaving the afternoon free to do what you want.
#146203 by pjh
05 Nov 2006, 16:14
Ian

Thanks for posting this. Though (whisper it) I'm not a fan of Disney, I do find the whole operational thing fascinating.

Paul
#146208 by Ianflies
05 Nov 2006, 16:55
Originally posted by pjh
Ian

Thanks for posting this. Though (whisper it) I'm not a fan of Disney, I do find the whole operational thing fascinating.

Paul

Had to laugh! Although I enjoy the Disney effect, I am very much interested (more so than not) in the operational stuff and technics etc. One thing I forgot to mention is as and when each float passes over a sensor in the road, it triggers electronically the music for that particular part of the parade to come out of the local speakers, so it is always in sequence, no matter where you are in the park.

Little things like that facinate me, so it was great to see 'downstairs' in the corridors, how the floats work (little men driving them!)and other stuff like that.