#18884 by Tinkerbelle
18 Apr 2007, 21:28
Hi Guys

Despite having flown to Orlando numerous amounts of times for a number of years, I have never visited the majority of parks and have only ever driven down I-Drive once!

Well that's all about to change as Tinkerbelle is off on hols to Orlando with the intention of doing a bit of catching up! LOL!

On our list to do so far is Magic Kingdom, Disney MGM, Busch Gardens IOA and Universal. I have been to IOA twice and only popped into Universal for a quick ride on the Mummy before having to rush back to the airport so I know there is still a lot to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions about "must-dos" in these parks (or others) - rides/shows/restaurants or any recommendations for what to do in the evening.

Thank you in advance for your ideas[:X]
#168313 by MarkJ
18 Apr 2007, 21:54
Hi Tink,

There's a lot of stuff in this very forum and I think that a read through will give you some ideas - if you are still stuck then whack up another post!!

some ideas?
#168316 by AlecK
18 Apr 2007, 22:04
Personally I would swap Epcot for MGM any day. There is loads of info at wdisneyw.co.uk
#168318 by HighFlyer
18 Apr 2007, 22:09
Originally posted by AlecK
Personally I would swap Epcot for MGM any day. There is loads of info at wdisneyw.co.uk

Noooo .... Epcot is great! Especially if your visit coincides with the Epcot Food & Wine festival! :D

Thanks,
Sarah
#168320 by RichardMannion
18 Apr 2007, 22:15
Hi Tinkerbelle,

Might be an idea for you to tell us how long you will be in Orlando for as that can seriously affect recommendations! :)

Also how many of you are going, and approximate ages as that can influence results!

Thanks,
Richard
#168330 by Tinkerbelle
18 Apr 2007, 22:39
Originally posted by RichardMannion
Hi Tinkerbelle,

Might be an idea for you to tell us how long you will be in Orlando for as that can seriously affect recommendations! :)

Also how many of you are going, and approximate ages as that can influence results!

Thanks,
Richard

OK we're going to be in Orlando for a week and there's two of us going (age - late 20s) - no children going though!
#168333 by RichardMannion
18 Apr 2007, 22:55
I see. So like LadyS and I then....

So I would say, Universal Islands of Adventure for sure. Epcot has some good stuff, and so too does MGM so I'd do both parks in one day if you can.
#168334 by Darren Wheeler
18 Apr 2007, 22:58
Not sure about the parks etc. but definatly recommend going up to Crystal River to swim with Manatee. I did it last year and it was fantastic. Such a thrill to get these gentle giants to swim up to you, face to face, and blow bubbles at you.

I went with fun2dive and Capt Joe. Look Here

$85pp and he only takes 6 at a time so book early
#168343 by MarkJ
18 Apr 2007, 23:14
Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Not sure about the parks etc. but definatly recommend going up to Crystal River to swim with Manatee. I did it last year and it was fantastic. Such a thrill to get these gentle giants to swim up to you, face to face, and blow bubbles at you.

I went with fun2dive and Capt Joe. Look Here

$85pp and he only takes 6 at a time so book early

This is a great idea - but you wont have time - I promise you!!!!
#168350 by Darren Wheeler
18 Apr 2007, 23:28
Make time :D

IMHO it knocks spots of swimming with dolphins.

Also, if you haven't looked already, check out The Dibb
#168362 by vs_itsallgood
19 Apr 2007, 00:26
One week. Um. Hate to tell you this, but I think you'll have to pick and choose your top 3 favorites and stick to them. There is no way one can do your entire list in a week and go back to work within 2 days!

One thing visitors forget is that the Magic Kingdom (and distances in Florida or the US as a whole) is so darn big. If you've been to Disneyland, it is not the same! The distances are greater, and if you're not used to the weather, you will run out of gas by late afternoon, if not before. Trust me, it will be there for a future visit. Pick you must-haves and stick to them. Think of all those staggering, hung-over hangdog faces crawling out of MCO flights and you'll have a mental picture of those who tried to do too much.

A few posts below this one MrsG asked for help; there are several ideas. I left a bunch of book links as my suggestion: especially read the Unofficial Magic Kingdom book. You will save hours in line (and learn about FastPass) and know where to go for the little extras which make a memorable trip turn into a lifelong fond memory.

Remember to pack sunblock, a hat, and extra socks - your feet will thank you.
#168399 by AlecK
19 Apr 2007, 10:43
Originally posted by HighFlyer

Noooo .... Epcot is great! Especially if your visit coincides with the Epcot Food & Wine festival! :D

Thanks,
Sarah

Yes, I agree. We always go for F&W ( 5 years running now ). Sorry for not making myself clear, the OP has chosen MGM and I was saying I would swap for Epcot :)
#168428 by Tinkerbelle
19 Apr 2007, 13:20
Originally posted by vs_itsallgood
One week. Um. Hate to tell you this, but I think you'll have to pick and choose your top 3 favorites and stick to them. There is no way one can do your entire list in a week and go back to work within 2 days!

Is that a challenge?[:p][:X][}:)]

Thanks to everyone for their ideas so far[y]
#168516 by DragonLady
19 Apr 2007, 21:55
For us Busch Gardens was a breath of fresh air after the Disney parks. Mr DL DB and I enjoyed the rides hugely and found there were far less very young children because of the sort of rides that were there.As others have said a week flat out will leave you absolutely exhausted!
#168555 by andrew.m.wright
20 Apr 2007, 08:30
I'm sure others will have restaurant ideas but if you're on a budget, and want to spend the bulk of your money in the malls then try these ...

Sweet Tomatoes at the intersection of Kirkham Road/International Drive.

$10 for all you can eat from the pizza, pasta, salad bar inc desert.

Sizzler (Various locations).

$10 and like Sweet Tomatoes but Steak & Chicken

The Market Street Cafe at Celebration

It's kind of like a New York Del.

And the Cheesecake Factory at Mall of Milliena.

Finally themed restuarants like Gloria Estefans Bongos at Downtown Disney are also very good.

One thing to watch out for is the discount booklets in your hotel reception ... They contain money off vouchers ... Sure it's only a couple of dollars but over a week it all adds up.

Let me know if you want more info as I'm a frequent Orlando Visitor :D
#168557 by Wolves27
20 Apr 2007, 10:15
You'll have a great Tinkerbell, Orlando is I think the only destination we go to where I could happilly step of my return flight flight and do it all again for another two weeks.

Depending on what time you go will also affect how much you can manage. We normally go end september, October - the queue's are almost non existent.

We always start on our first day there with Magic Kingdom - its tradition (and the reason it all began in MCO).
Other than that I would recommend: Epcot, Universal, IOA and Animal Kingdom (as I've never done it yet, but its next on the list).
Epcot's good fun and they've beefed up the park with good new rides in the last few years. Go in the Rose and Crown pub, it really is just like a Wetherspoons apart from the resident Pearly Queen.

For us, overall best park is IOA and I think Spiderman is the best ride I've ever been on.

Oh and allow youirself a couple of lazy days to recharge the batteries - walking round the Florida Mall on Sandlake Blvd is good for that.

Cheers!

Dean
#168689 by Tinkerbelle
20 Apr 2007, 23:15
Originally posted by Wolves27
You'll have a great Tinkerbell, Orlando is I think the only destination we go to where I could happilly step of my return flight flight and do it all again for another two weeks.

Depending on what time you go will also affect how much you can manage. We normally go end september, October - the queue's are almost non existent.

We always start on our first day there with Magic Kingdom - its tradition (and the reason it all began in MCO).
Other than that I would recommend: Epcot, Universal, IOA and Animal Kingdom (as I've never done it yet, but its next on the list).
Epcot's good fun and they've beefed up the park with good new rides in the last few years. Go in the Rose and Crown pub, it really is just like a Wetherspoons apart from the resident Pearly Queen.

For us, overall best park is IOA and I think Spiderman is the best ride I've ever been on.

Oh and allow youirself a couple of lazy days to recharge the batteries - walking round the Florida Mall on Sandlake Blvd is good for that.

Cheers!

Dean

Well I'm off in May so I'm hoping its not too busy - well children should be at school and the flights over are empty so am hoping the parks will be too.

Am stupidly excited about going to Magic Kingdom as I have been to every other Magic Kingdom in the world but not the Orlando one - how is that possible?!

Am def going to do IOA and Universal - as you just have to!

I think Busch Gardens will win out over Animal Kingdom due to the rides - I really want to go on SheiKra

As for the whole Epcot thing - I guess the park just doesn't appeal to me. I watched my Disney Planning DVD that arrived today and I'd still much rather go to Disney Studios. The Studios win just because they have Rock N Roller Coaster - I love the Disneyland Paris version - and Tower of Terror which I've always wanted to go on.

As for lazy days - I have enough of those at home and on trips so I really like to go for it on a holiday and pack it all in! The amount of stuff I did on a five night Vegas holiday defies belief! As for the Florida Mall - that's usually where everyone ends up on an Orlando trip so I can't stand the place apart from the Red Lobster outside.[:p] I'll go to the Millenia Mall this time - one I haven't been to! LOL

Thanks again for your suggestions[oo]
#168736 by MarkJ
21 Apr 2007, 10:36
Originally posted by Tinkerbelle

I think Busch Gardens will win out over Animal Kingdom due to the rides - I really want to go on SheiKra

As for the whole Epcot thing - I guess the park just doesn't appeal to me. I watched my Disney Planning DVD that arrived today and I'd still much rather go to Disney Studios. The Studios win just because they have Rock N Roller Coaster - I love the Disneyland Paris version - and Tower of Terror which I've always wanted to go on

Think that Busch and AK are just so different i their style and approach - yes if you want scary thrill rides then Busch wins out - but AK now has Exbedition Everest and the service, theming and cast memer interaction is just so much better IMHO

I know you are short on time - but I do think you should try to get to Epcot - if you go to Disney Studios in the day and then pop over to Epcot at 5/6pm all the big rides will be easy to get on - at least then you can try Mission Space - which is unique( dont do the "lite" version tho) Test Track and Soarin - and anything else you get a chance on - and its also a great place to have dinner - plenty of womnderful eateries.

Yes - you also have to do IOA and Universal - agree that two of the best rides ever are Spiderman and the new Mummy!! If its quiet you coudl probably do both parks in a day!!

Eeek - so much to do so little time!!!

Have fun![y]
#168828 by Mrs Buns
21 Apr 2007, 22:16

I recall reading in the Times Travel supplement last weekend that SheiKra will be shut down for 3 weeks in May so that Busch Gardens can modify the ride by removing the floor[}:)]

article here

I have been on the ride and it was fab[}:)] Buns ducked out

Mrs Buns
#168837 by Tinkerbelle
21 Apr 2007, 23:50
Originally posted by Mrs Buns

I recall reading in the Times Travel supplement last weekend that SheiKra will be shut down for 3 weeks in May so that Busch Gardens can modify the ride by removing the floor[}:)]

article here

I have been on the ride and it was fab[}:)] Buns ducked out

Mrs Buns

Have checked and it's closing on 29 May so I'll be alright![^]
#172973 by Tinkerbelle
28 May 2007, 17:54
Originally posted by vs_itsallgood

Am now back from Florida and yes I did do my entire list and was back to work the next day! If you tried to do it with children during the school holidays when the weather is scorching, then I think it would be a challenge. But as it happens when you go to Florida during term time, its much easier to do.

Day One - The Journey (and shopping when we got there)

Day Two - Universal Studios (The park was empty!)

Day Three - Islands of Adventure (Fantastic park - slightly busier - longest queue was 10 minutes!)

Day Four - Magic Kingdom (From opening to closing - I love Disney! Was busier than Universal but longest queue was 20 minutes)

Day Five - Animal Kingdom (Did this park instead of Busch Gardens as there was a rock concert on at BG which we thought would make the place packed. AK was alright but nothing special- I was actually quite disappointed with this park although Expedition Everest saved the day. This was the busiest out of all the parks we went to. Had to use Fastpasses for everything. Even the Fastpass entrance for the Safari had a 50 minute queue. Also went to Mall at Millenia after leaving the park)

Day Six - MGM Studios (I loved this park. Again not to busy - walked straight onto Tower of Terror/Rock N Roller etc. Stayed until park closing to watch Fantasia)

Day Seven - Last day (Shopping in the morning, airport in the afternoon)

Day Eight - Home

Day Nine - Work!
#172978 by Decker
28 May 2007, 18:44
You GO girl ;)
#172986 by AlanA
28 May 2007, 20:21
Tink,
Well done! Question now is would you go back for a longer trip?
#172995 by MarkJ
28 May 2007, 21:11
Great planning Tink - Well done!! [oo]
#173013 by easygoingeezer
28 May 2007, 22:31
not sure what your budget is, but I would get a universal ticket for both IOA and US, then buy a front of line pass for both parks, then you know your highly likely to get on everything in one full day.

Do MGM and Epcot in one day, catch the boat from MGM which will take you straight to Epcot or visaversa, the boat takes you through disney boardwalk on the way.

Good restaurants on IDrive are Bahamas Breeze, Olive Garden and Salt Island ( mega pricey this one though )

[:o)]just noticed your back already[:0]lol
Virgin Atlantic