#258651 by DragonLady
01 Apr 2009, 23:59
Anybody done the Six Flags park in LA (and /or Hurricane Harbour)? If so, any advice? Dragonbaby and her friend are keen to visit so we'd end up tagging along with them (but no doubt we'd be jettisoned pretty quickly, as having oldies in tow when you're 16 is social suicide [}:)]).
Thanks.
DL
#711589 by Decker
02 Apr 2009, 00:02
Buy the VIP pass THEN it's ace
#711590 by DragonLady
02 Apr 2009, 00:14
I was looking at buying play passes (which will include a visit to Hurricane harbour) for us -I can't really justify $299 x4 for the VIP passes. Are the rides nice and scary/whiteknuckle?
#711592 by Decker
02 Apr 2009, 00:25
There are several that ARE I kept doing one of them over and over. Let's wait for Tinks to weigh in - she's great at parks.
#711593 by papadoc
02 Apr 2009, 00:25
It's been a few years since I've been there, but they had some great coasters and quite a few of them fell into the scary/whiteknuckle category. I'm sure they have added a few since I was there.

Haven't done 'Hurricane Harbor', so can't comment on that.
#711595 by RichardMannion
02 Apr 2009, 00:52
DL, if you look on the SixFlags website you can often get an advance ticket for $29.99. I've seen them that low for sale in Universal studios of all places too.
#711596 by Decker
02 Apr 2009, 00:58
Hmm it wasn't a VIP I did it was a front of line, so not that dear :) Don't see the front of line any more...
#711598 by DragonLady
02 Apr 2009, 01:08
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
DL, if you look on the SixFlags website you can often get an advance ticket for $29.99. I've seen them that low for sale in Universal studios of all places too.

Thanks for that pointer Richard- they're doing an online special for $39.99 currently.If DB +pal/ we enjoy it we'll possibly go back on our return from Vegas (so the play pass might be a better option?).
Thanks Decker and papadoc- scary and whiteknuckle is good for me[y][y].
The problem is they want to do Disney too[}:)].
#711608 by Tinkerbelle
02 Apr 2009, 08:40
quote:Originally posted by Decker
There are several that ARE I kept doing one of them over and over. Let's wait for Tinks to weigh in - she's great at parks.

Just going to have a few hours sleep and then I'll type my SFMM guide out! [8D]
#711609 by DragonLady
02 Apr 2009, 08:57
quote:Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
quote:Originally posted by Decker

Just going to have a few hours sleep and then I'll type my SFMM guide out! [8D]

Excellent Tink![:D]
#711614 by Bazz
02 Apr 2009, 10:31
Saw a program, 'Mega Structures' I think it was, on the building of Tatsu, that sure looks like one hell of a ride!

Don't know if you have visited this site DL, but you may some some additional useful info there.
#711617 by Decker
02 Apr 2009, 11:30
Ah that was the ride I kept doing! The queue was about 2 hours so being able to keep getting on an one was brilliant (although it did annoy the people near the front who saw you ride several times as they queued.
#711695 by mediamonkey
02 Apr 2009, 20:55
A great large park with proper proper big big rides, loads of them.
#711788 by DragonLady
03 Apr 2009, 21:32
Thanks all. Just waiting for Tinks guide [y]
DL
#711826 by Tinkerbelle
04 Apr 2009, 20:19
quote:Originally posted by DragonLady
Thanks all. Just waiting for Tinks guide [y]
DL

Got stuck in the New Forest for the night with no wifi - argh!! Will get typing later after I get myself sorted for tomorrow.
#711835 by Tinkerbelle
05 Apr 2009, 00:12
Ok to get started with, the view of Magic Mountain from a distance:

[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/eq9lb5.jpg[/img]

So if you don't like fast roller coasters, the park really won't be for you. However if you love fast rides, then you'll be in heaven!

My first tip is if they still doing the offer is to take an empty Coke can with you and this will get you buy-one-get-one-free entry to the park. When will you be going to the park? If you're going on a weekday when there are no school holidays, then there is no need to get the VIP passes.

My second tip is that if you don't have breakfast at the hotel, then there is a Dennys at the freeway exit. Some of the food places don't open until 11.30am-ish in the park so if you haven't eaten already, you will feel hungry for a few hours. Also, I didn't find the food that great inside the park but you can leave and return the parking lot once during the day and there are plenty of the standard chain restaurants outside the park entrance.

Try to get to the park for opening time and make a left inside the park straight away and head to X2 - this ride loads really slowly so the queues can build up quickly. Tatsu will be the one to head to next and then just make your way around the rest of the rides.

OK the rides:

X2 - One of my favourite rides. As mentioned the queues do build up very quickly so get there as quick as possible. You actually go down the 90 degree drop head first! [^]

Tatsu - as already mentioned, this is a must do ride. If you have ever been on Air at Alton Towers, it is the same style of coaster but this one is much higher, faster and has four inversions!

Batman - Again if you have been to Alton Towers, Batman is the same style as Nemesis.

Riddlers's Revenge - A fantastic roller coaster where you don't sit but you stand!

Colossus - A dual track wooden roller coaster that featured on National Lampoon's Vacation when they went to Walley World. I have seen this ride go forwards as well as backwards.

Deja Vu - A boomerang coaster situated in the back corner of the park. It takes forever to load and sometimes doesn't open for a few hours after the rest of the park has opened. However if the queue is short, it is worth riding.

Scream - This ride is the same style as Kraken at Sea World.

Goliath - An incredibly high and fast roller coaster with no inversions. 7th fastest coaster in the world.

Superman: The Escape - A ride that is a lot tamer than what it looks! You will get off the ride thinking 'is that it?!' It is the 4th fastest and 3rd highest coaster in the world.

Gold Rusher - A really slow mine train. If it has a queue, don't bother with it!

Ninja - An old coaster that is the same as the Vampire at Chessington. Not worth queuing for as there are much better rides that are worth the wait.

Revolution - The first ever looping coaster. As it is very old, it is a bit of a head banger so beware.

Viper - The park's other painful roller coaster.

Terminator Salvation - A wooden roller coaster opening at some point this year.

There are many other rides dotted throughout the park including:

Roaring Rapids - Make sure you put your belongings in the lockers as you will get soaked - I had my phone with me on the ride which stopped working afterwards.

Sandblasters - The slowest bumper cars ever where you get told off for bumping.

Log Jammer - Log flume where viewers can pay 25c to set off water cannons to soak the people in the boats - IIRC, the white cannon is the best one to soak people (spent nearly ten dollars there one afternoon [:w])

Buccaneer - Pirate ship [:$]

Jet Stream - Another log flume.

Tidal wave - Another boat ride.

There are a few more fairground style rides dotted around the park.

If the Sky Tower is open, then it is definitely worth a visit just to see the view alone as well as the Magic of the Mountain museum at the top.

Let me know if you have any questions.

[:X]
#711866 by DragonLady
05 Apr 2009, 11:12
Thanks Tink[:D][}:)]. I love Air and Nemesis at AT!
We'll probably be going on a Wednesday or Thursday (we arrive on a Tuesday)at the beginning of July (so the US kids will be on holiday).Can't see any offers with the coke can at the mo [:(]and we'll leave as early as we can (we're staying in Buena Park so it's a bit of a drive).
Mr DL has just had a look at the photos and looks thrilled (not!!)[}:)].
DL
#711867 by Darren Wheeler
05 Apr 2009, 11:19
Can't you find him a old cold war bunker somewhere, I'm sure he'll be happy. [;)]
#711868 by Tinkerbelle
05 Apr 2009, 11:29
We'll probably be going on a Wednesday or Thursday (we arrive on a Tuesday)at the beginning of July (so the US kids will be on holiday).Can't see any offers with the coke can at the mo [:(]and we'll leave as early as we can (we're staying in Buena Park so it's a bit of a drive).
DL

If you're in Buena Park, are you going to Knotts Berry Farm?
#711873 by DragonLady
05 Apr 2009, 12:04
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Can't you find him a old cold war bunker somewhere, I'm sure he'll be happy. [;)]

[:D]
#711874 by DragonLady
05 Apr 2009, 12:10
quote:Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
DL

If you're in Buena Park, are you going to Knotts Berry Farm?

I had no takers last year when I asked (it's just down the road from the HI).Do you recommended it?? They want to do Disney too.
#713478 by Tinkerbelle
28 Apr 2009, 00:06

I had no takers last year when I asked (it's just down the road from the HI).Do you recommended it?? They want to do Disney too.

Loved Knotts Berry Farm - I emailed them asking about entry prices and they sent me a half price coupon. [y] I find it a very charming park with a few fantastic coasters - especially Xcelerator.

And Disney.........[^][^][^][^]
#713492 by Scrooge
28 Apr 2009, 06:57
If your planning to visit Magic Mountain you may also want to check the sides of coke cans when your over here, they have been running a series of offers that get you entry for $19.99 with a can.
#713496 by Wolves27
28 Apr 2009, 09:46
Thanks for the information guys.
How busy do you reckon it'll be on the Tuesday directly after Memorial Day?
#713692 by DragonLady
29 Apr 2009, 19:22
quote:Originally posted by Scrooge
If your planning to visit Magic Mountain you may also want to check the sides of coke cans when your over here, they have been running a series of offers that get you entry for $19.99 with a can.

Thanks for the heads up Dave[y] and thanks Tink- I'll try emailing Knotts Berry and see if they send a voucher.
DL
Virgin Atlantic